1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jazz: Boozer says opting out would be 'business decision'

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by engr chris, Jun 29, 2008.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Uh, he will make $100 million, probably $30-$40 million more because he did the Utah deal.

And, when he is retired at the age of 36 with millions in the bank he can buy an Island and forget all about Utah.

And I am CERTAIN, he would not want to live in Cleveland anyway...

DD

2. rz04

rz04 Member

I am with you on this one DD. People have to remember it is a business, in this league teams can trade you, cut you, and under pay for your services.
    Its not like Boozer signed a piece of paper saying that he will not sign with another team.

Also I believe the cavs had the right to match that contract, but they chose not to. And they ended up giving Larry Hughes a 15million a year deal. Boozer would have been dumb not to take a deal that would have paid him close to 30 million dollars more.

3. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

So why is this news, 90% of the players opt out of their contracts and test the free agency waters. If the Jazz are serious about keeping him, sign him to a long term extension, offer him a six year deal at the same rate and see it that'll lock him up.

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I think people are crazy to think Boozer betrayed Cleveland. All they had do is extend his offer and they had the right to match and he was cool, but when Okur got 50million, he was like whoa. I commend him for getting paid while he's hot. Its a business and i dont see anyone of the cry babies turning down money. If Burger king is paying 8.50 and mcdonalds is paying 6.50, what would anyone do?

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Work at Dan's Hamburgers. Better food.

6. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I think Boozer is a tad overrated anyway. He is certainly productive if you focus on points, rb, and FG, but so was Zach Randolph.

Just look at other metrics, not showing up as a productive playoff player this year...
    http://82games.com/0708/playoffs/playoffs.htm
    and last year, barely registering despite playing most of his games with pre-Scola pre-Landry Rockets and small ball Golden State.
    http://www.82games.com/0607/playoffs/playoffs.htm

Don't get be wrong, Boozer is a good player, maybe a very good player, and most teams would like him. But I don't think he is a great one, and I don't know if a maxed out contract will be good value. I can think of 5 PFs I'd rather sign long term (Amare, Bosh, Dirk, Jefferson, West), possibly 2 more (Smith & Aldrige) and Duncan and KG are A LOT better than him depsite them being well past their prime (Brand too in his peak form).

I think on this Olym. team we will see how ordinary he is compared to guys who can play defense and are versatile.

7. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

I think everyone is forgetting the circumstances around the Cleveland situation. That Carlos Boozer was a nice 14-9 player but he wasn't the devastating offensive force that he is now. Even though it was his 2nd year Boozer didn't really fit the mold of a guy who was going to continue improving. WE ALL THOUGHT he would put up similar numbers across his career and be a nice PF in that PJ brown, kurt thomas jump shooting enforcer role.

So when he asked out of his contract he wasnt asking out to cheat Cleveland and get huge $$$ from somewhere else. Boozer asked out to resign with Cleveland a year early for like $40 mil or something like that. Had Cleveland known another team would offer him what Utah did they wouldnt have let him out of his contract. Utah's offer blindsided Boozer just as much as it did Cleveland and everyone else following basketball at the time. NOBODY, not Boozer, not certainly not Cleveland, thought that he would get a deal like what Utah offered.

I think everyone is making it sound like Boozer had a deal with Utah lined up and pulled a fast one on Cleveland. The July 15th moratorium is really what did Cleveland in. They agreed to a contract with Boozer and i even remember hearing about it on ESPN, but before he could sign it Utah came in with their HUGE proposal. Boozer isn't a saint but he's no devil either, he's just human.

8. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

No, worse. He's a Utah Jazz.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Very well said sir.

DD

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He is definitely overrated. Make him play both ends of the court and his production on offense drops. His defense will always be substandard. Boozer demands that teams account for him and is the kind of player who can destroy weak defenses. But make him repeatedly defend a big, strong body or make him chase his man around and that high-arching jumper will clank the rim. Then you just back off and take away the drive.

The Jazz MVP is Deron Williams, not Boozer.

11. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

see you next tuesday, carlos...

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think you said he has no responsibility to anyone but himself and his family. I'm arguing that it is because of his responsibility to himself that he should have honored his word, or else never given it.

Rocket River is right that players are traded about, cut from teams, and suffer similar hardships. But, most of those are with an understanding from the outset that management is free to do so. There have been honorable management teams that have kept promises made to players (Rudy T's Rockets, for example). If a team were to make a promise to a player and not keep it, they'd face similar scorn from me.

I don't think I'm forgetting the circumstances. I remember thinking Utah was taking a risk giving that contract to Boozer. But, I don't see that it is relevant. I'm not saying this was some premeditated scheme to sneak out of his contract. It fell into his lap. But, he'd already given his word and should have been bound by it despite some unforeseen development (and really, he should have -- and probably did -- thought about what he'd do if he did get an obscene offer).

He's just human. He decided his honor was worth less than $50 million, so he made the trade. Fine. I may have done the same. I know it'd make me physically ill to leave so much money on the table. But, that doesn't mean I'm wrong in saying he has no honor or that he broke his word or acted shamefully. All those are true. He may have 50 million reasons to not care, but it's still true. And, I'll be sure to mention it in every Boozer thread.

13. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

yea his word is tarnished. So what . For example you meet a girl on Thursday and decide to go out Saturday night. She is nice looking , all the right curves. Friday you meet Halle Berry who offers you a date on Saturday night. Case closed
    :cool:

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yeah. My wife would kill me twice.

But, it doesn't seem like we have any fundamental disagreement. I say he has no honor; everyone seems to agree. The only difference is that some people go one to say, "So what?" I hold it against him while others don't. Our values are a little different, but we agree on the facts.

15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I have to chime in on this one.

Boozer was wrong period.

Boozer went to Cle and asked them not to pick up his option so he could get more money from them. He told them that he would resign with them for the Max that they could give him instead of playing another year under his rookie contract. Cle could had kept his rights for another year at less than a million a year and waited till the following year when they would have had his full bird rights but instead they were trying to do him a favor he could hit about 4 mil a year sooner and give him a real financial security.

Boozer screwed them and that is why I would never trust nor respect his sorry ass.

There is simply no way to justify Boozers actions against cle.

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

And the real salt in the wounds of it all for cle is that he left for frickin utah of all places.....i mean at least lebron's cuttin loose for brooklyn :)

17. monster

monster Member

would love to see Boozer exit the West.

18. bloop

bloop Member

yeah white people are so racist. white people are the worst people ever. christians are worse. morons are worse. jews are so much better. and muslims. and scientologists. and taoists. and shinto worshipers and voodoo. everyone knows they're all good people. white people are so racist

let's put us all in a boat and send us off into the pacific. except the women... need them women tho...

seriously every time anyone mentions utah in any thread does there HAVE to be some crap about morons or white people? it's pretty ironic that someone would post about the Jazz being racist/intolerant while basing his statements on stereotypes and bigotry against morons. there are black mormons dude, they do a lot of missionary work in 3rd world countries and there are a ton of asian mormons too. and even if there wasn't so what? the entirety of the jewish religion is based on the purity and superiority of a SINGLE "CHOSEN" ETHNIC GROUP... state shinto is based on the "divinity" of the "japanese race." why is it okay for this group over here to base it on race and that group over there not? not that mormons believe in a single race religion but dont take shots at people merely because you saw someone on TV do it and assume it's cool. it is not

anyways back to discussion. it would be foolish for boozer to stay in utah with all the dollars flying around via the 2010 Knicks-Nets-Miami triangle of death. utah will be good every year but they're not winning a championship. get better exposure, more money and a better shot at a ring with someone else, you'd have to be stupid not to jump at that offer. NBA negotiations involve multiple parties and it's not a simple matter of agreeing in principle... if kobe had his way he's be out of LA right now but despite whatever the parties said things did not work out and he stayed in LA.

Of course cavs fans were pissed about Boozer in 2004 but he simply got a last minute offer he couldn't refuse. that's just business. honestly Cleveland didn't not fully realize how good Boozer was and undervalued him. aside from all the "agreements" and things they bottom line NEVER envisioned a $70 million offer on the table for boozer. IMO they probably envisioned a $45-50 max value on that contract. and think about it, if a player has a $70 million dollar value in the free market (and WORTH it after 4 years of enactment of the deal, I think all would agree) what the hell is a $39 million dollar contract for that player? the Cavs weren't just thinking "what's best for Carlos Boozer?" they were thinking they could get him at a massive premium. but in all honestly do you think boozer should have taken a 45% cut for what? a chance to play with lebron? boozer might have made a mess of negotiations with the Cavs but he made the only decision he could have made... it's business any team counting its chickens before everything is signed on the dotted line is bush league

19. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

Best typo ever. You fixed your own post.

20. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

I did not say a word about Mormon, or "morons" as you decide to put it. But since you decide to defend that Utah is the all-equal-all-amazing state that you claim it is, make a D&D thread about it so I can debate with your evidence, I've been there before and could write a friggin essay on it. I can't make a thread because I was demoted for what I said, but please, feel free to start one..

My fault for offshooting a thread, continue with the Carlos Boozer talk :cool: