1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oh, Rockets want Landry to have surgery

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Glendelicious, Jul 1, 2008.

1. poprocks

poprocks Member

Possible complications
    The possible complications following a knee arthroscopy include:

* Infection
    * Artery damage
    * Excessive bleeding (haemorrhage)
    * Allergic reaction to the anaesthesia
    * Nerve damage
    * Numbness at the incision sites
    * Ongoing pain in the calf and foot

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Arthroscopy?open

2. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

So was this all a big conspiracy to get Landry to sign for the minimum? Did we know he needed surgery last year at some point but figured some teams would be interested in him and it could get pricey so he didn't get the surgery because we told him he didn't need it. :confused:

Landry can't exactly play hard ball in negotiations if he wants medical coverage and his surgery plus rehab done by the best doctors in the world. Isn't Landry responsible for payment if he has no employer and was only in the league for one year? :eek: Therefore, wouldn't he need to sign soon to have surgery so he can get back to the court ASAP unless he can afford to pay out of pocket for everything. By then isn't it to late for other teams to even bother looking at him? :(

Do you think we screwed this guy on purpose all in the hopes of resigning him for far less money and not having to compete with anyone? I'd have to say it's a very dirty plan, but maybe Morey was trying to redeem himself for not signing Landry more than one year. After Yao went out and Landry started playing out of his world for a rookie making himself more money everytime he played? :cool:

There's just alot of questions i would have for personal to doctors and trainers if i we're his agent.

#42 redgoose, Jul 1, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

those are complications with any surgery. like i said earlier i have had one acl reconstruction, a 2nd surgery where i had some of my torn meniscus removed, and a 3rd surgery where i had a 2nd acl reconstruction along with microfracture...all on the same knee. the key to recovery is doing proper rehab. if you don't you will get re-injured like me. before i re-injured myself i was as athletic as i had ever been. if your friends only had their knee scoped and no sort of surgery on the meniscus then there would be almost no effect on them. it would be like going to the dentist.

if landry gets microfracture then he would be able to comeback strong from it. he is a workout demon and he wouldn't have any trouble getting his muscles back to the necessary strength to avert most injuries unlike my lazy ass. however, his career wouldn't be the length of a normal players career. he would probably get 4-5 good years out of the knee if no other problems developed. the scar tissue created from the microfracture acts like cartilage but wears away much quicker so the shelf life for someone as active as professional athlete is shorter.

4. longbow111

longbow111 Member

Here's what I thought:

Morey know the condition of Landry's knee is okay, but he didn't want to sign him to a full MLE contract, He hope to sign a contract at 3-3.5m per year with Landry, so that he still have flexibility to chase other FAs. By talking Landry's knee publicly, he hope to scare off other teams or at least lower their offers to Landry so that It's easy for him to match.

I think he's too progressive this time. If I'm Landry, I won't feel too happy even if signing with Rockets at last.

5. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I think, in contrast, Morey knows Landry's knee is not completely okay. It may have some remaining problems, although it probably won't affect his performance a lot.

6. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

fans here can only remember what landry did best but tend to forget he was not the same landry after he came back from injury. his best performance in merely dozen games in last season takes fans here to believe he deserves the full MLE.

tell me how much you know his knee. tell me why he played like he was a total different player after he came back the injury. tell me whether you will ask same question as morey did if all money comes from your pocket.

7. poprocks

poprocks Member

Looked pretty good to me during the playoffs especially when he had that game saving play. He looked just as explosive during the playoffs as he did early on.

8. poprocks

poprocks Member

You also have to ask yourself this about the timing of Morey's request for scoping his knee. Why didn't Morey just say this earlier when eveybody else was getting their surgeries like T-Mac and Alston? Funny how Morey comes out and says this on the first day of Free Agency.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

oh it was definitely planned because he didn't want another team to sign landry to an offer sheet. morey clearly knows more than we do about what is going on in other gm's offices so he fired this shot to get anyone who was considering him to back off/reconsider. at the same time i do believe morey wants to know what he is getting into with landry. he is killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

game.

set.

match.

morey.

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Totally agree with robbie. Until that one playoff game-saving hallelujah play, Landry was 1/2 his earlier self post-injury. And it just resonates too strongly with the significant college injury.

In fact, I'd be disappointed in Morey's intellect if he really thinks this is just a posturing move. He better be concerned with the knee.

Good luck to both parties, b/c I like Landry and I'd like to see him coming into games.

11. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

les is the boss. morey helps les to manage his team. landry is looking for a job. i don't see any problem he asked the question. he is gm. he has to do the best for les.

if you think landry's knee doesn't have any problem, why he just go to get tested?

12. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

pretty good? you're kidding me or not. he was brutally murdered by jazz furious inside defense. he was constantly blocked by jazz players, okur, boozer, or ak-47 when he tried to go straight to score under basket. we didn't have a good interior offense against jazz in playoff. we missed yao badly.

i don't know how you can say his play is pretty good.

13. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I think this cat's knee is damaged. I know Morey is playing hardball with Landry and his agent but I get the feeling that Carl's knee needs some serious work done or will soon. He never looked right after what should have been a minor injury that should have been an afterthought two weeks after it occurred.

I'm at the point where if Carl's agent keeps making so much noise then let Landry walk now so Morey has the rest of the summer to get a proven, healthy player with the money saved.

Scola/Hayes a proven, scorer at the wing is better than Scola/Landry/Hayes and some stopgap that the Rockets pick up for chump change.

14. Agentzero

Agentzero Rookie

:D moray did it deliberately,just to threaten other teams away by the nominal injuries,as the spurs did on batum. :)

15. Panda

Panda Member

Regardless of Morey's intentions or the actual state of Landry's knees now, a complete check out of his knees will reflect Landry's true market value.

If Landry refuses a scope, teams will shy away, enabling the Rockets to sign him cheap, at the risk of his mysterious knee condition, striking a balance between cost and risk.

If Landry accepts a scope and there's nothing wrong with his knee, he will get his fair share of offers from teams, and get what is he's worth in the bidding war. If results show microfracture surgery is needed, the Rockets would still probably sign him cheap, waiting for his rehab in the hope of full recovery, protected by incentives.

Regardless of the outcome of knee test, Landry gets what he's worth.

16. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

Morey actually stated that he asked Landry to do it right after the season as well. The fact that he brings it up publicly is surely to drive the value down.

17. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i believe it might be true.

clearly, morey realized landry agent tried to play game and hide landry's knee issue to get a fat contract. In Jon's report, morey said he made the request to landry and his agent at the end of season. if what morey said is correct, landry's agent must be afraid of any this kind of diagnostics. any kind of test and surgery after could scare off a bunch of teams. It would not give them any bargain leverage.

unfortunately, landry agent faces morey. so far, all trades and picks that morey handled are reasonable, if not good, at least it doesn't hurt rox.

18. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

it's called smart move.

19. ibm

ibm Member

both morey and landry's agent are just doing their jobs.

but i have a funny feeling that resigning landry is gonna turn into a drama, an unpleasant one, over this summer.

20. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

Well if Landry has to get surgery and then go through rehab, that should make him untouchable. Therefore using him as a trading piece for someone better isn't gonna happen. This might upset some people if he were to be the breaking point for an Artest type player.