1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Miami Herald] Sonics, Kings, Rockets biggest losers in NBA draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Commodore, Jun 29, 2008.

1. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

when he's THAT much older than most of his opposition you'd assume he would dominate them. The fact that he just did OK concerns me.

2. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

So is Dikembe Mutombo the best player in the NBA :confused:

I hear the argument you guys are putting forth - but it doesn't really work...

The only thing age affects is physical growth. (ok - and maturity levels) Most people are as tall as they will get by 18, and the bulk adds to the frame in the early 20s.

If Dorsey wasn't 'bulky' then you'd have a fair argument.
    Fact is that he IS bulky, and he used that builk (along with his agility) to play great defence.

Now the worry would be if he came up against people with significantly larger bodies in the pros! But looking at the stats, already he's a 'bulky' player by NBA standards.

And, based on what we've seen, he will use that bulk advantage (along with his agility) to play great defence, hit the boards hard, and not get pushed around by anyone.

The only thing left to worry about is his maturity level - is he an immature individual who has shown that he has problems?
    I honestly don't know - but from all the talk about him being a 'stabilising locker room influence' you'd have to think not....

Joey Dorsey - the next Michael Cage?

I can't see how that's not an achievable goal for him

3. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

My point being that he SHOULD of pushed around college guys... he still may be a wide body by NBA standards, but there's a big gap between the strength of NBA men, and college boys - strength is more than just BULK.

Additionally, NBA players are more seasoned and smart about to play the paint (positioning etc) and so he will have a harder time with them for that reason aswell.

I'm not completely dismayed by this realisation of him being a few years older, but it does put things in perspective for me a bit. My expectations are now lower, probably where they should of been in the first place.

moral of the story is - dont get carried away by Youtube highlight videos. :)

4. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

carl landry is 24, he didn't do all too bad. It really depends on the persons body not the age. Oden's a great example, the dude's already getting arthritis prolly. NP with Dorsey being 25 here, he can play for over 10 years if he stays healthy. Ben Wallace was 27 when he first came into being known.

5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Except for that Loren Woods one that we saw - that was fairly accurate...

6. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

NEWS FLASH

Portland is a big winner in the draft. They got Sam Bowie who is clearly better than Jordan and Olajuwon.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm impressed the journalist could make that many factual errors in one sentence. I count at least 4 demonstrably wrong statements here, with a couple more arguably wrong as well. In under 50 words. Impressive.

8. Driven

Driven Member

You guys, the article was posted at 8am the day after the draft. He probably submitted the article before the trades were announced.

9. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

I'm off topic...just addressing your sig...Having a Melo type player is OK if Magic or Paul or Nash is your point guard. No need for a scorer to play team ball when you have elite orchestrators...

10. Chuck Nevitt

Chuck Nevitt Contributing Member

Just goes to show that blogging is not journalism.