1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vince Carter?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by blackwindy, Jun 29, 2008.

1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i don't think any of us are saying we will get vince carter. it's not realistic.

but from some of the responses on this board about NOT wanting to get him as a THIRD OPTION boggles my mind.

2. Laoyi

Laoyi Member

No no no!

3. rz04

rz04 Member

Yea by beating such NBA power house teams such as the Toronto Raptors and a depleted Pacers whose leading scorer was Anthony Johnson.

Carter is talented yes, but he is also over the hill with a huge contract.

You said Kidd did badly because he didn't match with the mavs, yet your so sure that Carter will match with the rockets? Which New Jersey Nets have you been watching? Throughout his career Vince has put up numbers through isolation plays, he is only productive when he is the number 1 option. And you want to put him together with Yao when he refused to share the ball with Chris Bosh?

The Nets and Rockets play with completely different systems. You go from having Jason Kidd as point in a run and gun team with a bunch of isolation plays to a team with Rafer at the point? How can you expect him to play well with Yao when he's used to play with the likes of Jason Boone and running big mens like Sean Williams and Stromile Swift? Whens the last time you heard Vince Carter and defense mentioned in the same sentence?

The guy is fixing to make upwards of 18 million a year until 2011-12, you can get the likes Corey Maggette for half that much. The only reason Nets haven't traded Carter yet is because they haven't found anyone dumb enough to take his contract out of their hands.

4. LFE171

LFE171 Member

CD would've been calling carter yesterday if he was still around. Haha jk. Yeah you're absolutely right. Carter IS a stud, but his age isn't helping out. He will be just "half-amazing" in 2 years, and he has 4 years left on his contract.

As rz04 stated, he runs well in iso plays/fast breaks where everyone gets the hell out of his way and he just dunk on people. Sorry but, he doesn't have that much spring in his step to do that. (see sf3)

Only time I'd want carter is if he gets bought out, and comes here for a super discount. (THEN I'm all for it)

5. t_mac1

did i say it was realistic? but talent is talent.

paul pierce is an isolation player and his career was going down the drain as of last yr right now, guess what has happened?
    ray allen never played defense in his career, but guess what happened when he became a celtic?

when you are in a winning situation, you adjust and make changes. all i was saying is when you have an opportunity to bring in a talent like him without giving up our stars, you do it. did i say it will happen? no.

carter will match with this system b/c he can catch and shoot, post up... adelman's system has isolation plays in certain parts of the game and i'm sure carter will only get them if tmac and yao or each is resting.

comparing kidd with him is stupid. teams actually leave kidd to double. nobody would be stupid to leave kidd. and our players are not like the kings player of adelman's kings for us to completely transform into a motion offense team. tmac and yao ARE isolation players. yao scores most of his points either off of isolation post ups or put backs.

6. t_mac1

comparing him to steve francis shows you know little about anything outside of the rockets. steve can't even crack a rotation the past few years.

carter is actually a starter commanding double teams still.

7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Of course its my opinion. Every post in this thread that wants/do not wants VC are opinions, like yours.

I haven't read any post here that changes my opinion on VC and my opinion that trio won't win a title together. I just see even loftier expectations with about the same results, early playoff exits then massive disappointments then a bunch of remorse threads.

If that guy was an MLE guy, sure why not. Max paid oft injured player? Are you crazy?

Btw, Paul Pierce is way more tougher then VC, and had nobody last year. VC had RJ and Kidd. PP > VC

8. Panda

Panda Member

I don't think Morey is gonna do it. Two max contracts already plus 13 millions for the next four years of VC is enough to bury Morey's GM career if anything goes wrong. VC isn't a sure bet like Ray Allen or Kevin Garnett, he's third string on a Eastern Team. When his contract is over he'd be 36.

9. t_mac1

pierce may be a "little" better. but remember, i doubt vince would disappear in the playoffs as long as pierce did before he finally showed up.

he had a washed up kidd (see how the mavs went .500 with kidd with more talent??). kg and allen are still in their prime.

10. t_mac1

again, i also would prefer a corey maggettee or someone like that over vince simply for contractual reasons. but if we are given an opportunity, we have to take it.

les and morey are sticking with the tmac-yao duo for another 2 years it appears. that means time is running out. we need to get a 3rd scorer in the worst way. without one, we're in the same boat next year most likely (or 2nd round).

i don't care what we have to do but we need to get a 3rd scorer immediately. as long as we don't give up tmac, yao, and scola, do it.

11. rz04

rz04 Member

Wait you just lost all credentials....

When's the last time you heard Paul Pierce quit on his team? Paul Pierce carried Antwan freaking Walker to the Eastern conference finals.

And did I just hear you said Ray Allen never played defense in his career? Ray Allen was considered one of the best all around guards in his prime.
    And do we have Kevin Garnette on the team?

Your right TMAC and Yao are isolation players, so you want to have 3 isolation players on the team at the same time? You do know that there is only ONE basketball in this game?

You want Carter to be the 3rd option, or getting mins when TMAC and Yao is resting? Carter didn wanted out on a team where he was the 2nd option.

Whens the last time you heard a team not named the New York Knicks have a 18 million per year guy coming off the bench.

Look I am not saying that VC is not talented, hell he would probably still produce next year. But for 18 million dollars a year for the next 4,5 years you better be getting Lebron James or Dwight Howard.

For a total of $72 million dollars and one of the best defenders in the NBA you better be getting more then a 31 year old jump shooter.

12. coolthunderz

coolthunderz Member

yea that is true, but do you know how old Kidds or Shaq are right now...they are 35+ years old. Carter is 31 and he is basically gonna give us the Lakers affect, also the same ages as all the stars from the champs...Boston

I am not saying this is a 100% but if we stay with the team we have, we are not gonna win the champ and that is the goal...

13. t_mac1

um paul pierce carried antoine walker? know the game of basketball first please. walker was once an all-star playing for the celtics putting up 20 and 10. please, watch the game.

ray was considered an all-around guard? um last time i checked, he was only known as one of the best shooters in the L and has the ability to put the ball on the floor at times. but defense? the bucks he played on was always one of the worst defensive teams. same with the sonics. so how did you get he was great all-around?

the lakers won with shaq, kobe, and glen rice. all 3 are isolation players. yea, i checked again and they did win a ring. parker, duncan, and manu are mostly isolation players (using a lot of pick and rolls and post ups), um... guess what they also have won.

um, jkidd has been the face of the nets the past few years they've played together and i never hear any rumblings about carter.

again, i never said getting vince was realistic nor did i say we shouldn't explore other options first. but if we can get him, we have to. we only have 2 years left with tmac-yao duo. after that, it's rebuild all over again. either get vince, artest, or someone on the same level b/c we're running out of time.

14. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

This could be because the Nets don't want to help the Cavs at all so Lebron doesn't get help and eventually leaves....

just a theory though

15. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    The amount of sense that this post makes...
    <br>
    The amount of logic that this post has...
    <br>
    although, I will agree with one thing, getting Vince Carter for what you would give up would be probably not be worth it (Battier, 1st round picks, gaining Carter's horrible contract) and is probably not the answer.
    <br>
    We should most likely look at other guys like Maggette or even Artest if we want to dream...

16. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

When you read an article that said Thorn was thinking about shipping him for an single expiring contract alone that was offered and was considering it that is enough proof to me.

17. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

BINGO and also he is going to be shipped for Gasol level puke and here the Rockets sit wondering why we cant add a 3rd scorer when Thorn alone stated he was considering it alone for just Wally's expiring makes you wonder. Carter who still put up 21ppg 6reb and 5assist on nearly 36% from down town and that is past someone prime isnt good enough? Last time i checked that was an T-Mac if not better comparison who was teamed with a team with no inside presence. Bring an Motivated Carter to Houston and we will take off to the next level and wont look back. Vince actually is realistic and would be dumb to sit here and not try to make a push for him and we sit here and watch New Orleans land him for table scraps.

18. SeeingRocketRed

No Vince!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If we are going to give someone 12 or more million a year and trade away ALL of our valuable expiring contracts, it should be someone GREAT. NOT A 32 YEAR OLD FORMER ALL-STAR WHO DOESN'T HAVE MUCH HEART. I'd rather have about 15 players that we have a legit shot at before I'd take Vince Carter.

Growl.

That is all.

19. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Like who what a joke? Is there another VC type calibur player who will just hand us their franchise for table scraps if so sign me up.

20. rz04

rz04 Member

Walker never shot better then 43% when he was with the Celtics and if you consider he still avg 20pts then yes Paul Pierce carried that team. And Ray Allen guarded Kobe the most during the finals and was on the best defensive team last season, so I guess he can't defend at all :rolleyes:

The lakers didn't run isolation plays, they ran the Triangle offense. And I know your not saying Yao is on the same level as Shaq when he won all those rings at this point of his career. During the 2 years those 3 played together they only won 1 ring before Rice was traded, and even then most of his points came from 3s, and neither TMAC nor Carter specializes in.

Jason Kidd was the face of the Nets yes, but that is not the same as been the number 1 option as a scorer, he was a passer and Carter was the 1st option.

I don't see why you have to flip flop here, from my understanding that you want Carter here in his current contract. And I am saying that it is neither realistic nor logical. Why pay 18 million for a "3rd scorer" when younger guys like Mike Miller, Ron Artest, and Gerald Wallace, for half as much. Not saying we should/will get these guys but just for comparison.