1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron.com] Rockets move step closer to retaining Carl Landry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jsmee2000, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Panda

Panda Member

Maybe half the MLE for 3 yrs. A backup who can't create his own shot with questionable knees shouldn't be paid too much.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well Yao is a guy with questionable feet, maybe we shouldn't have offered him the max.

3. poprocks

poprocks Member

I fully expect another team to offer him the MLE and in which case, according to Morey we will match. I heard rumblings over on the Lakers board that they were really impressed with Landry and think that he'd fit in well over there.

4. Hmm

Hmm Member

didn't we offer said max.. before his feet were viewed as "questionable"..?

5. abc2007

abc2007 Member

The lakers are not going to offer Sasha a new contract? If so, the rockets should sign him.

6. Laurent

Laurent Member

Maybe 8 mi for 3 years......

Don't overpay Landry.

7. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Never a doubt the Rockets can sign Landry back. For a sophomore who can dunk and play hard but is a early 2nd round pick, I bet LLE will do. Teams wont risk tying up their salary room when they already know the Rockets will match.

8. poprocks

poprocks Member

Yeah I think that's a deterrant too but some other team might put it out there to screw up our cap situation.

9. poprocks

poprocks Member

http://media.www.thedailycougar.com...dry.Key.For.Rockets.In.Playoffs-3292199.shtml

Landry key for Rockets in playoffs
    By Chris McCown

Now that the 22-game win streak is swept aside and the national media can go back to ignoring and predicting failure for the Rockets, it's time to look at what they will need to finally quiet the TV analysts and win their first playoff series since 1997.

First, they'll need to continue their terrific defense and hot shooting, which really boils down to guard Rafer Alston continuing to hit 3-pointers. After that, the key to the Rockets' chances of advancing is in the hands of their returning injured star, and I don't mean Yao Ming.

When rookie forward Carl Landry's knee swelled up before Houston's game against the Nets on March 8, the Rockets reeled off five more consecutive wins without him. However, a closer look shows that the team barely won squeakers over Eastern Conference fodder such as Atlanta and Charlotte and were only able to blow out their opponents without Landry if Alston or guard Tracy McGrady exploded.

Landry came back against the Warriors on March 21 with the Rockets mired in a two-game skid, scoring 17 points and grabbing eight rebounds in Houston's win against Golden State. While it doesn't sound like a very impressive return, keep in mind that Landry accomplished this in just 18 minutes of action on the court and hit a free throw with 6.2 seconds left to give the Rockets the lead.

In fact, throughout the year, Landry has come up with huge production in limited minutes coming off the bench. The Statistics show him averaging 8.8 points and 5.1 rebounds a game. But ratchet his playing time up to 40 minutes, and Landry could be averaging more than 20 points and 12 rebounds a game.

ESPN.com writer John Hollinger invented a statistic called Player Efficiency Rating (PER), which measures a player's productivity in all positive statistical categories. Landry ranks tenth in the league in PER, ahead of Yao and just behind Lakers guard Kobe Bryant and Celtics forward Kevin Garnett. He's the only player in the top 25 who doesn't average more than 28 minutes per game.

If the Rockets want to survive in the Wild West this summer, they are going to need a healthy Landry, and head coach Rick Adelman simply must give him more playing time. He doesn't have to start; he can do a Manu Ginobli impression and be a star who comes off the bench. But he does have to play at least 30 minutes a game if the Rockets have any hope of getting the monkey off McGrady's back and reaching the second round.

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Souds good upping his price so the more you pay Landry the more you get back in a trade. But Landry might also become untradeable at that amount so they still need to negotiate contract price

11. istream

istream Member

i still dont get this: if rockets had a team option for a specified salary, why has it not been picked up and prevent this qualifying offer mess

12. poprocks

poprocks Member

Watching for the Kelvin Cato shoe to drop any moment now. Cachinnnnggg!!

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The Rockets only offered Landry a one year contract,they didn't sign him to a 2 year contact with the 2nd year as a team option. They didn't expect him to do so well. The only way they can re-sign him now is by using the MLE or the LLE.
    That's what is causing all this mess. I'm sorry I didn't clarify it in my previous post.

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

His agent wouldn't agree to a two year contract. It doesn't benefit the Rockets to turn down a second year team option.

15. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

I think Landry's agent wanted 2nd year guaranteed. But Morey turned it down. So, it ended up a one year contract. It's all about guarantee money.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

Teams make offers. It's the agents and players who either accept or decline.

17. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Then his agent should have been fired...

18. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Not true, agents make counter-offers all the time...

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

He's already made Landry a few more bucks :)

20. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

if i am not wrong, rox can pick up the option but will lose the right to make him a restricted free agent in next year. i think you can make a rookie a restricted free agent in 2 consecutive years but someone needs to search online to verify what i said here.