1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Recap of Morey on 610

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 27, 2008.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I didn't see this posted yet, so here you go.

Morey was on 610 a little after 8:30 this morning and spoke with Vandermeer and Andre.

Not a lot of earthshattering news, but some interesting stuff none the less.

On Greene: Said he was the guy they had targeted all along and that they attempted to trade up to get him. When he fell to 25, they new, thanks to their awesome intel, that they could move back twice without losing him. They also knew the Spurs wanted Batun as did the Blazers, so they made the deals they made. Stressed that Greene was their guy heading into the draft and that they rated him higher than Batun.

Also said that it will probably be hard for him to get minutes at first.

On Dorsey: Said he doesn't have much offensive game but has an awesome basketball body. Said he has great size, girth, and athleticism and that he can guard 4's and 5's easily but can also rotate without a problem onto the smaller players. Said he can run the floor for them and will get lots of offensive boards (top 5 in the nation) and that he was a great defensive player. (best on the best d team in college) Said the fans are going to love him.

On Batun: Said Portland got a guy that the Rox think could turn into a good player, but they just rated Greene higher than Batun in their internal evaluations. Said the Spurs really wanted him.

On Summer League: Said both of these guys will play in the Summer League.

On the roster: Said they definitely want to make more moves. On two occassions he said there will LIKELY be a free agent signing OR TWO. (He said that last part both times) Also said they are looking into a lot of trades but doesn't know when one will happen. Whenever one makes sense they will do it, might happen during training camp.

2. droxford

droxford Member

Thanks for the recap!

3. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

Did he really say Greene is going to have a hard time finding minutes?

Who is going to take his 10 minutes per game at SF?
    Luther?
    Novak?

I smell A ron Artest deal or a deal getting us mike miller after he has allready been traded =)

4. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Ha! So it is true, it is!

Morey wanted cockteased the Spurs!

LOL ROFL

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

Ira Newble, Fred Jones, Giricek, Maurice Evans, and Kareem Rush are probably the players within their range.

6. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I think Chuck Hayes will now be added to a package deal down the road. He's one of the players on our roster whose on court impact out-values his salary, and is expendable. Dorsey is too similar (but potentially much better) to keep both around, in my opinion.

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

This is pretty much what I thought when I heard we dealt Batum. Morey knew that a lot of teams were interested in Batum and took him just to maximize his value.

We've heard Greene was getting a lot of interest from the Rox so I was suprised when we passed on him, but to be able to get our guy along with two 2nd rounders is a great deal.

8. Pringles

Pringles Member

i think a center/pf tantem of chuck hayes and dorsey might be better than some may think. both strong and both good at offensive rebounds.

i just think all this does is, saying good bye to loren woods and mike harris.

9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Just to be clear, Greene was one of their guys, but not "the" guy. Morey said last night there were other guys they wanted above him but couldn't get up to get them. It's in the video on the front page ... I'll dig up a quote.

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

the OP said he would have trouble getting minutes at first. i am guessing that just means he will need some time to adjust since he is pretty young.

11. ibm

ibm Member

true. i think lee was our #1 target but orlando snapped him.

12. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

IIRC, Clutch said last night that Rush was their number one target...but they were unable to move up to get him

13. justtxyank

Yeah good point. I really should have said, because he did articulate it this way, that he was one of the guys and he was their guy left when the draft came to them.

14. justtxyank

He made it sound like he was a little raw and would take some time. Said he had a lot of work to do on the defensive side of the ball. Didn't seem like he meant years or anything, just not right away.

15. ibm

ibm Member

it would have been a too HUGE of a leap in terms of pecking orders. we probably didn't have the right palyers to make other teams interested in trading down.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

allegedly it was down to the rockets wanting outlaw but portland would only offer webster for the rush deal.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If that is the case then good for Morey.......

DD

18. onethreeeleven

IF is his court impact indeed outvalues his salary, we should keep him.

19. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

Who would we be giving up in this deal with Portland?

20. FFz

FFz Member

Morey called Dorsey a "devastating force" LoL! Nickname!!

Joey "the force" Dorsey!