1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL cuts and the Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by VesceySux, Feb 25, 2002.

1. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I just read an article on the proposed NFL cuts supposed to take place this week, and I thought I'd start a discussion on the Texans and who might be available for the taking.

Here's ESPN's proposed cuts: http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/clayton_john/1340203.html

Players I like (based on performance and age -- and assuming, of course, they can be signed for a reasonable deal):

Marvin Jones, Jets (DE)
    Shannon Sharpe, Ravens (TE)
    Rod Woodson, Ravens (S)
    Leon Searcy, Ravens (RT)
    Terrell Davis, Broncos (RB)
    Kevin Hardy, Jaguars (LB)
    Kyle Brady, Jaguars (TE)
    Robert Griffith, Vikings (S)
    Joe Johnson, Saints (DE)
    La'Roi Glover, Saints (DT) .
    Freddie Jones, Chargers (TE)
    Ken Dilger, Colts (TE)
    Donnie Edwards, Chiefs (LB)
    Keenan McCardell, Jaguars (WR)
    Michael McCrary, Ravens (DE)
    Jessie Armstead, Giants (LB)
    Brock Marion, Dolphins (S)

I'd go into further detail on why I like each player, what they bring, and the likelihood of them signing with us (so you don't look at the list and say, "Hey! Shannon Sharpe? Are you on crack?"), but I'm just too lazy. Eh. Maybe later. Besides, I just start the threads. I don't actually contribute to them... :)

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Hey! Shannon Sharpe? Are you on crack?

Kevin Hardy. The Texans need linebackers and he was good in college (hope it translated well).

3. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Hardy
    Sharpe
    McCardell

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

they won't have that much money.

i suspect they'll pursue hardy and either kruetz or newberry, although gildon's new deal set the bar pretty high for olb's, so hardy may prove too expensive.

5. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Lets get Sharpe. I don't see why he'd be too much to ask for.

6. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I don't think Shannon Sharpe will play for an expansion team at this point of his career. Although I like him, and I believe he is a leader, his mouth gets him into trouble a lot.

As for McCardell, I like him. He had 1110 yards receiving last year, and he's from Houston. How can we go wrong? I doubt it'll take much money to convince a local boy to come home. Maybe he'll have a career year, too, in front of a home crowd...

I'd rather have Marvin Jones than Kevin Hardy (salary cap-wise). The dude had 132 tackles last year, 6th in the league. He'll probably come expensive, but I want the Texans to pursue him anyway. Then again, we do need LB for our 3-4 defense, so Hardy is a top candidate to fill our need. I wish we could get both, though.

I'd like Terrell Davis, but I fear he's waaaaaaay too injury-prone. He's played 17 games in 3 years, which... well... sucks. However, if he can get healthy (biiiiiiig if), he can be a great player behind our new O-line. If anything, he can also be a good tutor for a potential running back draftee (like T.J. Duckett, DeShaun Foster, or Lamar Gordon). I hear that Miami is now a frontrunner for the Fred Taylor sweepstakes. I guess there was never an implied trade with Jax.

I'd love to get Donnie Edwards. He had 130 tackles last year, and I think he would provide veteran leadership, in addition to being a fiery competitor. Another player who should be put into the "Fiery Veteran Competitor" category is Rod Woodson. Isn't he one of the best ever? And he's available? Don't we need a safety? Or am I on crack (again)?