1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rome signs new radio deal

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Old School, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Old School

Old School Member

Looks as if he ain't going anywhere for awhile. Romey just signed a 4 year $20 million dollar deal to keep The Jungle alive.

os

2. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I'm glad. I thought he'd pick TV instead.

3. Old School

Old School Member

4. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

His TV show stinks.

What makes his radio show good, is that there's nothing better on the radio when he's on.

When he's on TV, there are probably 5-10 other things I'd rather watch.

5. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

I'm not a big fan of his TV show, but I listen to the radio show religiously. He doesn't have as much freedom on TV to do the things he does on radio.

Man, kidrock, I don't know if it's me or you, but one of us is living in Bizarro World--I vehemently disagree with almost everything you have to say! You don't like Rome but you like Bob "the bitterman" Kemp?! Personal preference, I know, but I just can't believe how far apart we are--on everything! Nothing personal :D

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I used to like him, then hated him, but in the last year or so, he's really evolved into an incredible host. Sure, he likes to beat a dead horse and is a kissass at times, but he is an outstanding interviewer and is very knowledgeable. Glad he's sticking with radio.

7. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

I love rome's show, but 20 million?? come on, everyone knows the best part of the show is the clone's emails and calls. They make the show great, so how about paying them 20 million too?

8. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Premp-I didn't diss his radio show. I just dissed his TV show, where he has to behave himself, or at least act normal.

I liked Kemp because of his dry sense of humor, which is like mine. People either think I'm hilarious, or people think I'm a big a$$hole. I think the same can be said for Kemp. In a way it takes one to know one. Moreover, as far as information goes, no one did it better than Kemp. He did his homework, such as scouring through just about every major newspaper in the nation, and always provided me with new information I did not learn before.

I'm not really too much into the whole sports "personality" part as I am the sports information.

However, I think Kemp does a good job IMO of course, of providing info, while not being boring as hell, ala Kenny Hand or Russ Small.

He did act like an a-hole many times to callers who have no clue, but I agree with his ideas 99% of the time, so it doesn't bother me as it would someone who disagrees with what Kemp is thinking of saying.

9. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

Oh I get the whole info thing--you're right about that...often I would sit through part of his show just so he could get to his grapevine stuff--which was always interesting.

I just couldn't stand his attitude, and what was worse is that there were two kinds of callers to his show--total idiots who he was right to rip into, and then idiot yes-men who would ask him his opinions on something and then say, "yeah you have a point there." Just bad radio if you ask me, but you're right about his info.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i guarantee the good folks at sportsradio 610 are breathing a big collective sigh of relief right now!!!

i too have had a love/hate with jim rome. but the bottom line is that there is no one who gets the interviews he does...and no one who makes athletes feel more comfortable in that setting.

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Mann shiiiieet. I am as good as Rome. I can even say, "I think we all know the answer to that one!" or do an impersonation as a parrot.

I like Jim, he's been good to Houston, and that is better than wig wearing Bob "bloated like Shawn" Kemp.

A tour stop is coming this year. I know it. I bet he comes in August or September and it is going to be at Reliant Stadium. I have a feeling on that.

I first listened to the show back in '97. I was only 14 years old. Now, here I am at almost 19 years old, still listening.

oots

12. stringthing

stringthing Member

Rome is what he is...

A sports version of Howard Stern.

13. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Jim Everett...did you see him squirm?

14. Old School

Old School Member

That's almost a done deal. McNair invited him during the last tour stop at Enron Field and Rome said he be here.

I can't wait for that place to open.

os

15. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Agreed. It seemed like a lot of callers would bite their tongue, and kiss his ass, ala Jay from Brooklyn, the guy who had the biggest nasal accent in the world.

You gotta love Fred from Queens though.

I called him 3 times, and got booed off once, for insisting the Astros should trade Bagwell, during the 2001 playoffs.

16. NCSTATEFAN

NCSTATEFAN Member

I was just about to say the same thing until I read your post. IMHO, the clones emails are one the funniest bits to the show. Its the only thing that keeps me from tunning him out when he goes into his 60 minute spill about why DC doesn't have that extra hour.

17. moomoo

moomoo Member

It's not just the clones' e-mails, but it's the way Romey reads the e-mails, he's funny as hell. It's all about presentation. If, say, that Steve Zaban (spell check?) guy were to take over as host, do you think the same e-mails would be as funny?

18. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I'm just a regular guy who works 8 to 5. Rome is better than work. For two work hours a day (and my lunch hour), I am least productive. I'd have it no other way!!! (P.S. - don't tell my boss!):D

19. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Are you serious, 4 years 20 million dollars!? No wonder he was making a big deal about possibly leaving radio, it was a negotiating leverage. Not that I'm ripping him or anything, I think it was brilliant negotiating. He is a huge reason for the stations popularity and merchandising sales so he deserves a cut. Congrats to him. I'd love to have a million dollars! His radio show is LIGHT years better then "The Last Word". There's more interaction, the tour stops are great, the "clones" are the funniest things on the radio and he isn't to bad himself. Who can forget when Rome was interviewing someone, I can't remember who it was, and the guy's cell phone cut out, and got cross connected with someone named Bob Montgomery who sounded like he was in a business meeting? To funny!

#19 RocksMillenium, Mar 1, 2002
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2002