1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This proves that Kobe can't carry the Faker's!!!!!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by themugg, Feb 20, 2002.

1. themugg

themugg Member

The Lakers (35-16) were 2-3 while O'Neal was on the injured list, and are 7-6 without him this season.

Now I'm not saying that Kobe is not a very good ball player, but he's definately not the player everyone thinks he is! He's just got the luxury of having Shaq clog the middle and draw the bulk of the attention! You put a guy like McGrady or Ray Allen on the Faker's and you basically have the same team. The media always compares Bryant to Jordan, Jordan did'nt have Shaq, yeah he had Pippen, but Pippen is no Shaq! Shaq is, if not the most dominant force in the NBA right now. So to say Bryant is like Jordan is Bull_ _ _ _!!!!! I'd say his role is more that of Pippen than Jordan!

2. Matador

Matador Member

you tell 'em!

3. tooslickforyou

I can't stand the Laker's. :mad:

4. junglerules

junglerules Member

remember all of those rings jordan won when he was 23, too? That was awesome! What?!? You mean Jordan DIDN'T win any rings until he was older, and became an even more complete player, and had a great supporting cast? Whoa....didn't know that....

Kobe haters have their own agenda....If we want a true test on whether or not kobe could carry the team, 15 NON-CONSECUTIVE games is a horrible litmus test. Let kobe grow a little older and better, and then we can worry about jordan comparisons. It's premature right now, though he does have two rings already, and the haters can never take that away....

5. Evol

Evol Member

@#$% ALL THE KOBE HATERS...:D

6. go lakers

go lakers Member

Ok, for all the Lakers and Kobe haters (you must have had 2 terrible seasons:) ), Kobe is only 23 years old! And he is the best SG at the moment, look at his brilliant deffense, and offcourse his great offensive skills (the most assists among the SG's, and don't start about the "Shaq thing", because he played 13 games without him). Maybe he has his games "off", but that is because he is only 23! So I think he has a lot of potential, within 2 seasons he will be MVP:)

7. TradeMan12

TradeMan12 Member

Kobe can't carry a team by himself. Just like Penny Hardaway couldnt do nothing without Shaq. Put TMAC on the Lakers and they would still win the title. Put Kobe on the Orlando team last year, I doubt they make the playoffs.

Kobe is 7-6 w/o Shaq and the games he did play, majority were at home, and most of the teams were "cupcakes" Houston(w/o Francis), Denver(w/o Mcydess), Atlanta, Chicago(w/o 2 starters), Memphis, Golden State, Toronto(w/o Hakeem, Carter 4th period), Denver...

8. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kobe hatas. Y'all just jealous. Stick it.

9. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I hate these morons who look at the record without Shaq, and find their only criticism of Kobe (who by the way puts up huge numbers without Shaq).

For one thing, is Kobe why the Lakers aren't as good without Shaq? Or maybe it's because Kobe is the only guy on the team who can do anything with the ball in his hands (when Shaq is out)?

Also, this team was built around having Shaq. So obviously, it's not going to be a complete smooth transition with Shaq out of the lineup.

If Shaq were not a Laker, I would guarantee you the Lakers would have somebody else (prob not as great as Shaq) who can do something with the ball in his hands.

The fact that you guys have to resort to this as the only thing you can bash Kobe for, speaks how great of a player Kobe is, as well as how desperate you are to bash a guy who has done no harm to you.

Moreover, how many other players would have done much better, if they were in Kobe's situation, without Shaq?

Ya, Iverson would have gone undefeated without Shaq.

:rolleyes:

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'm no fan of Bryant. But I wish we had him on our team. THEN I'd be a fan.

I just wish he would get his own personality. He's extremely marketable, speaks foreign languages. But the tongue-hanging out, fist-pump, hell, even his vocal cadence when talking to the media. He says he doesn't want to be the next MJ, he wants to be himself; the tough thing is, he's been emulating MJ so long that he slips into character unconsciously.

And he is extremely arrogant. But he's earned his ego, so I can't say nuthin'.

11. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Why does it matter to you who Kobe acts like? Who are you to say that Kobe being himself, has to be something different than MJ? If anything, Kobe probably is very similar to MJ, as far as demeanor goes, but Kobe doesn't want to tell everyone to compare him to MJ.

Bashing Kobe because he doesn't want to be compared to MJ is asinine. You might as well bash every other basketball player in the world too.

Big deal, if Kobe doesn't want to attract attention to himself by proclaiming himself as the next MJ. How arrogant can he be, if he deflects every MJ comparison thrown at him?

How is he arrogant? Because he's already succesful at age 23? Because he has a good looking wife?

The only thing you could say is when he forced Cha to trade him six years ago.

People grow up during that time...

12. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

A couple of things here:
    First of all, who Kobe acts like is clearly an issue in determine whether or not people like Kobe. If he acts like a prick, less people would like him. Not that nowhere did ROXTXIA call Kobe a bad player. Just said he was arrogant, didn't like him all that much. Sorry personal opinions aren't alllowed... :rolleyes:

Also, Kobe didn't force the trade. Charlotte wanted a big man and Vlade fit the bill. The trade was pre-arranged before the draft.

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i think kobe is the most talented 2-guard in the league, i just wish he'd lay off of the "how to speak like jordan" tapes. junglerules made a good point, you can't compare him to jordan carrying the bulls to the finals because kobe is so young right now. but at this stage of their careers you could probably put iverson, mcgrady, and carter all in kobe's spot and they'd each also have 2 rings. any difference in talent level is made up for by the big man.

14. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

For one thing, I never said personal opinions aren't allowed. I just want to know WHY you feel that way. Surely when you hate someone, there's some logic behind it right?

Also, your 2nd point about Kobe, if true, only adds to my point that there really is no reason to dislike Kobe, unless you had a bad personal experience with him.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The reason I dont like Kobe is stated in this thread.

What makes Kobe so special that all the people that hate him only do it because they're jealous. Tim Duncan is a rich, young, highly successful NBA player yet you dont see people hating on him???

No, it goes to argue against the theory that Kobe is the best player on the Lakers and that he should be the MVP. For a while there, a very large portion of the media had this view. Even further, the truth thus far is that in a limited number of games, Kobe has shown he cant carry the team by himself. You mention Iverson wouldnt be able to do any better, but then again he did take his team singlehandedly to the Finals last year with essentially role players.

Kobe is a great player. But he is arrogant - see the mentioned thread link above. And he had way too many people proclaiming him as one of the top 2 players in the league. Minus Shaq, I dont think he has shown that he is heads and shoulders above a McGrady, Iverson, Duncan, Webber, Nowitski, Pierce, Walker, Kidd, Jordan, Garnett etc to name a few. The only thing that has differentiated Kobe from those players is that he does have two championships.

The "hatas" theory just argues that any of those players mentioned above, if on the Lakers the last two years, would also have two rings and many of them (Duncan, Garnett, Nowitski, Kidd, heck, even Iverson) would probably have a less arrogant attitude about it.

Kone is a top-ten player in this league, no doubt. It is okay for people to not like his attitude and not think he is a MVP or 2nd best player in the league though. It doesnt make us foolish or dumb.

16. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

For one thing, the Lakers were build around Shaq and Kobe. So of course the Lakers will struggle without Shaq.

Give the Lakers 17 mill or whatever to replace Shaq, and Kobe and the Lakers will do just fine, probably better than Me, Myself, and Iverson.

It's really asinine to try to directly compare the Laker's W's and L's without Shaq to other teams, who aren't missing their best player.

I will be the first to tell you that Shaq is more important than Kobe. In fact, he's the best player in the league, I think we can agree on that.

Also, the Lakers aren't winning because Kobe isn't doing his share of the work. Are the Lakers under .500 without Shaq because Kobe is scoring only 30+ PPG with 6+ assists, while shooting near .500? No... It's because no one else has decided to show up without Shaq around.

Saying Kobe is proving that he's "overrated" or not as good as Iverson or whoever is valid, if Kobe's stats along with the Lakers record goes down the drain.

If you are going to say this about Kobe, then I guess Barkley is the biggest loser in NBA history.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Talent-wise most everyone, including Kobe "haters," recognize Kobe is one of the top 10 talents in the game. I see it and I agree with it. He has a silky smooth game that is very multidimensional. But I still feel he is often overrated by the media as he is not a leading MVP candidate and is not a top 2 or 3 player in the league in my opinion.

And what about his attitude. Nobody hates Duncan. Few people hate Jason Kidd or Kevin Garnett. Kobe has shown he can be a pompous ass. I dont like it.

18. Strange Fruit

Strange Fruit Member

Jordan wasn't playing along side of the most dominate player in the NBA since Wilt Chamberlain at age 23 'Twan.

19. smoothcat

smoothcat Member

#%$#%*& all of you Kobe lovers! A couple of years ago nobody liked him or the Lakers but now that they have a couple of rings, ya'll all want to jump on the BANDWAGON! Reminds me of the same type of people that loved the Bulls SO MUCH but now that their losing those same people are nowhere to be found! HYPOCRITES!:mad:

20. junglerules

junglerules Member

Smoothcat- using the BANDWAGON card is the standard response for someone who can't actually formulate reason behind dislike for a player. You know, it's not, "Kobe is ok, but he has trouble spreading the ball to teammates," or," Kobe takes too many bad shots late in the game, and makes too many bad decisions, to be able to carry a team."

You PUSS OUT and rant like a freakin' baby, as if you truly know who we cheered for when the lakers weren't winning. I did cheer for them, but I guess since I didn't address you on this board, or come by your room with padded walls and write you a note professing my like for the lakers, I'm a hypocrite.

Let me tell you this ahead of time- i like the rockets. Therefore, when they get good again, and you know that i'm a fan, you can kiss my F%&%ing ASS for calling me a hypocrite....

PS Kobe is pretty good....