1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    PACERS vs KNICKS Game 2: Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Iverson LOSER!!!!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rudie01, Feb 20, 2002.

1. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

HayesStreet:
    This season Iverson has shot less than 40% in 22 games, and has shot over 40% in just 20 games! He's averaging 27.4 attempts per night and has taken over 30 shots 15 times! He is a ball hog.

2. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

For the last time, the reason Phily could play a bunch of good defensive/sucky offensive players is solely because of AI. You take away him and they are an excellent defensive and totally, totally, completely, sucky offensive team. That puts them out of the playoff. Why do you think w/o AI they win less than 20% of their games.

You can argue AI is a ball hog for leading the leaduge in shot attempts--but then so was MJ when he was winning all those titles. But arguing that AI sucks, is well, silly at best (you really believe this and are blind) or irritating at worst (just saying it because you want people to spend time publicly correcting dumb ass comments).

3. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

Yeah by MJ's career fg % is much higher than Iverson's.

4. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

True, AI is not as good as Jordan was. But AI shot 42% last year while his team held opponents to less that if I remember. By having an individual be able to do that while the rest of the team can focus on limiting opponents FG% and getting rebounds Phily was able to be effective. They could not have been able to use defensive and rebounding focused players and be successful without 1 guy who can by himself be a respectable (not great) offense. Also, just looking at his FG% misses out on the easy shots he generates for others and the fouls he forces the other team to take (plus he converts a high percentage of those).

I don't have a problem if people think AI is a ball hog. I personally think this is misguided in the larger context of the 6ers, but oh well that is a matter of opinion. But someone say he "sucks" and ignores evidence to the contrary, well, that isn't going to slip by.

5. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

What is a 'ball hog?' My impression is that is someone who won't give up the rock to a teammate that is either open or can create their own shot. Iverson has MORE assists per game than any average or above shooting guard, and he has no teammate that can create his own shot. How, exactly, is he a ball hog?

Now for another comparison, lets look at some of the top SG's and their FG%. Keeping in mind that Iverson scores at least four more points per game, with less offensive help, than any of these guards, including Kobe.

Tracy McGrady 5.0 apg 44%
    Rip Hamilton 2.8 apg 44%
    Kobe 5.8 apg 47%
    Jordan 5.4 apg 41%
    Stackhouse 5.1 apg 41%
    Allan Houston 2.2 apg 45%
    Jason Terry 4.8 apg 43%
    Eddie Jones 3.0 apg 43%
    Michael Finley 3.6 apg 43%
    Doug Christie 4.0 apg 45%
    Vince Carter 4.3 apg 42%
    Cuttino Mobley 2.8 apg 43%
    Penny Hardaway 4.6 apg 42%

The point (pardon the pun) is that Iverson is a sssshhhh......ssshhhhh.....c'mon, you can do it....ssssshhhoooooting guard. He is supposed to shoot the ball. There is no viable second option on his team. Yet he distributes the rock more than any SG but Kobe. And he scores (a shooting guards primary responsibility) more than any other PLAYER in the league. And other players at his position also shoot 'poorly,' as i've shown above how many 'quality' 2's shoot under 45%. Most of them (including Jordan and Vince Carter) shoot under 43%.

Arguing that he 'sucks' is just plain silly.

6. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

How many guys can't score 25 ppg on 30 or whatever shots?

I admire the intangibles he brings such as effort, attitude, and leadership, but on the court, he is nowhere near a top 10 player.

7. Rudie01

Rudie01 Member

One of the biggest reasons of the sixers defence is Mutombo, not Iverson. He's just a 'one-year fly', and i think he'll never be able to get his form of last year, when he made very though shots. I think he was quite good last year, but now.. And BTM, it's just my opinion, that has nothing to do with if i know something of bball or not. I still THINK he sucks...

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

HE JACKED UP 36 SHOTS TODAY!!!!!!!! Yeah he scored 46 poins, but he was freakin 14-36 from the field. If Francis jacks up 36 shots, he would easily score 60!

9. azn-baller

azn-baller Member

yeah...and he's also must be a big-time because he led the sixers all the way to finals last year

10. go lakers

go lakers Member

I think Iverson is a good basketball player when he is under pressure. Ok, he shoots terrible from the field (every guard must shoot above 40%!), but when he shoots terrible all game, he can still make the winning shot. So that is a great skill from him, and I also think he is a good leader for the team. But offcourse, he isn't that good as Kobe or T-Mac are. He just have to make a better % shots, thats is his only problem, but he isn't a bad player at all.

11. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do NOT put AI on your fantasy team. He'll kill you with the missesand t/os. I was stuck with him for 2 months last year, and he destroyed my team. I had a few weeks of pain the year before, too. Learned my lesson.

12. PhiSlammaJamma

All I can say is he had 100 fantasy points for me yesterday :), I'm sending a beer his way.

13. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Yeah, the 2 threes, the 46 points, the eight boards (3 oreb 5 dreb), the 6 assists, the 5 steals, and the 2 turnovers really killed my fantasy team last night.

No, wait a minute... ;)

14. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe he only misses when he's on my teams. ;) .

15. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

HayesStreet:
    14-36 shooting =38%. I watched the game and it seemed like everytime the Sixers had a lead he'd get the ball, miss, and let the Warriors stay close. He took 10 shots in the first quarter and made like 2 of them.

16. BTM

BTM Member

He'll have a breakout game every now and then but he's usually TERRIBLE for fantasy teams.

17. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

Magic 105, Sixers 87
    Iverson's stats tonight:
    11-30 shooting, 32 points, 6 turnovers. OUCH!

18. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

6 steals and 6 assist also. Atleast paste all the facts. That's a damn good performance, minus the TO's. Don't exclude info. to make your point :(

-LTF

19. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

How the hell is 11-30 a "damn good performance"!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????!!!!!!!!!???????

If Cuttino did that this board would be in an uproar. Iverson is a freakin loser. His team was a one year wonder. He aint doing crap this year in the playoffs.

20. Heretic

Heretic Member

The eastern conference is noted for having toughnosed defensive minded teams who get smoked in the Finals everytime someone other than Michael Jordan isn't playing.