1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[cnnsi]Playoffs disappear from TV in China

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, May 28, 2008.

?

what's going on?

1. No Yao, No Yi, No NBA

62 vote(s)
    30.7%
  2. No sports shown during tragedy

63 vote(s)
    31.2%
  3. Chinese NBA fans do want to see the playoffs! angry!

17 vote(s)
    8.4%
  4. Pryuen kicked down the TV towers cause the Rockets lost again

60 vote(s)
    29.7%
  1. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Yes, they're called Republicans. I kid, I kid.

So how did this China thing evolve into seeing Sharon Stone naked, because every time I try and read through all this I fall asleep...
    :eek:

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

dude, Cohagen controls the air on Mars. that's why.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't know which match was shown for the French Open. But they did show one NBA game afterwards too. It's just the quantity has decreased for foreign events. And there's a lot more shows which include Chinese.

Of course, I could be wrong because I'm not glued to the TV 24-7. But it just seemed this way every time I turn to the official sports channel. No more Euroleague soccer either.

4. SevereCr1tic

SevereCr1tic Member

I still find this 'incident' so amazing. They just had a once in a lifetime human tragedy over there. So the TV stations there decided to devote more time to report the tragedy because that's what people there are by far most concerned about. And therefore some of the regular programs, which included a few NBA playoff games, had to be moved to make room for the round-the-clock reporting of the catastrophe's new development. But then...suddenly it had been linked to what Newble said one year ago. Suddenly this has become a political issue. Suddenly this had become a scandal. Suddenly this has become an international incident. Some people are just dumber than a sack of hammers.

5. Good345

Good345 Member

Sharon Stone is not banned by the government. Many normal people are angered by her speech. Dior China got so many protest phone calls that Dior China decided to drop her form their ads.

6. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

:eek: almost 2 years, 1 post. that's awesome. :D 1 is a good number. :)

7. Good345

Good345 Member

Quality over quantity. :)

8. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

:( oh noes! it's 2 now. :( make it 3. :D

9. tinman

Supporting Member

i'm glad you chose my thread to post on.
    may the fire of maxwell and the heart of otis thorpe be with you!
    :D

10. fleshbody

fleshbody Member

what was the deal? not heard of it

11. SevereCr1tic

SevereCr1tic Member

You might have heard of it but you forgot because it happened one full year ago. For whatever unknown reasons, some idiots try to link it to the earthquake.

Yeah right...they didn't do anything about it and still kept showing almost every game of last season's playoff and this year's regular season games (from May 2007 to May 12 2008)...then the earthquake suddenly came 12 months later (May 12 2008) ...and they said to themselves, "Great! now we have an excuse to remove a few games from the schedule". What a scandal! This is a brilliant explanation and only a genius like me could come up with it.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

Perhaps you're not understanding the situation. I'm sure the story was talking about CCTV-5, which is the sports channel in China(ala espn), and for the most part did not provide much coverage of the quake that many other channels were doing. This obviously doesn't extend down to the local provincial levels, since they still had regular programming for the most part.

It's not that CCTV-5 was pre-empting NBA games for coverage of the quake. But that they're pre-empting(allegedly) NBA games for other sports events.

I'm not sure why you used my post to state this, as I never gave my opinion on what I think of the 'incident. I just said that based on my personal observations, I agree that there are less international coverage on the channel.

And yes, it's a political issue. Newsworthy? I doubt it. China Central TV programming has tons of politics involved as it monopolizes the national TV scene, and has the only channels which extends to the rest of the world through satellite. Everything is heavily filtered, both the news and regular programming.

This has been the case for years, and will remain to be for many more. So a programming shift following the quake to arouse more nationalistic feelings seems pretty normal and logical to me, personally.

I may be dumber than a sack of hammers, but at least I won't call some stupid by arguing something for which I'm not well informed on.

13. blender

blender Member

Hey meh, I don't think SevereCr1tic is calling you dumb. He's referring to people who are making a political connection between the lack of NBA coverage on CCTV and something said by an NBA player last year.

14. blender

blender Member

That said, I do think he's incorrect if he thinks there isn't a political element in what's going on.

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

If so, then I apologize for the misunderstanding. I do agree that the Newble thing is Definitely no link between the two. But the quake news coverage itself really had no bearing on this particular channel these days. Still prominent on other channels, but not the sports one.

16. rocketjf

rocketjf Member

Please keep your stupid politic thinking out of this forum.

17. catfishdog

catfishdog New Member

CCTV will start NBA broadcast tomorrow. Don't do any negative guess.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

you must hate the whopper.

19. ekim

ekim Member

There are more Kobe NBA fans in China than Yao...

By NBA fans I mean people who actually watch NBA in China not just any Chinese.

20. dback816

dback816 Member

52 votes for because of no Yao and Yi? .....I hope those are joke votes