1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[cnnsi]Playoffs disappear from TV in China

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, May 28, 2008.

?

what's going on?

1. No Yao, No Yi, No NBA

62 vote(s)
    30.7%
  2. No sports shown during tragedy

63 vote(s)
    31.2%
  3. Chinese NBA fans do want to see the playoffs! angry!

17 vote(s)
    8.4%
  4. Pryuen kicked down the TV towers cause the Rockets lost again

60 vote(s)
    29.7%
  1. meh

meh Contributing Member

It's mainly the earthquake issue. Programming in China following the earthquake are mostly shows which either deals with the event itself(mostly rescue work), or shows which displays some sort of "national pride".

If the Rockets or the Bucks were playing, there'd be plenty of game broadcasts and footages about them "playing for pride of their country" and such. But really, 4 NBA teams that does not have any connection with China does not make good propaganda.

2. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

it's MISLEADING.

only the CCTV channels not showing.

all LOCAL channels still showing the games.

MAYBE technical issues or earthquake issues because it's national TV station.

but people still could watch via local channel.

this is a NONE ISSUE.

3. bjshot

bjshot Member

Please just ignore me. Enjoy your rding here.

4. bjshot

bjshot Member

I mean riding.

5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While I feel horrible about what happened the Chinese govt. is missing the boat and further demonstrates their lack of understanding/caring for the human being as a hole.To play around like this at a time when many could use something to get their mind off things if just for a little while is just nuts.Sports has always been cathartic and to deny the average Chinese that relief is sad.Yes,the coverage is massive,and rightly so,but c'mon.
    Then again we were preempted for awhile due to the Bronco "chase".
    So who knows what is really going on?more than meets the eye or if every local channel is getting them then just business as usual?

But whatever....My prayers go out for all.

#25 Plowman, May 28, 2008
    Last edited: May 28, 2008
  6. ydqkang

ydqkang Member

it's said some NBA super star made some political comments on chinese Gov in NBA games.
    But wanna say,sports is only sports,not political game
    so against any bull s*** sensitive political events in sports ,even he is super star or chinese Tv

7. blender

blender Member

Maybe you're right, but it does seem strange if the national sports station stopped showing NBA games when they were doing so before. Especially if other sports (the article says women's soccer and highlights of track, women's basketball and French Open tennis) are still being broadcast.

And according to the article, it's the CCTV sports channel which I assume would be showing all sports-related programs, so there wouldn't seem to be a conflict with other programs by showing NBA games.

Or who knows, maybe it's a budget thing. They don't want to spend money on expensive programs that local channels cover anyway. Or they save money by not purchasing the NBA games which they can use elsewhere (say, for the earthquake efforts). Seeing as CCTV's state run, that's certainly possible.

I must be pretty bored to write so much about this. :)

8. blender

blender Member

But the article does say CCTV's showing French Open tennis. Then again, maybe they're just showing the matches of Chinese players. Which, no offense, would be pretty slim pickings. :)

9. ARK

ARK Member

I've heard about that...

Now it's said that the broadcast will recovery from 6.6(The Final)

10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Perhaps this has to do with the US/NBA/Stern being pissed about the Chinese govt's unwillingness to let their players go and have the time to develop/rest like other NBA players... dictating some demanding schedule that is unrealistic resulting in injuries......SEE YAO! And THIS is China's response.
    Like I said who really knows what is going on behind the scenes?

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So here's the video of Pryuen destroying the TV robots that were broadcasting NBA games

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lVkueSuO-GU&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lVkueSuO-GU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

12. CDogg

CDogg Rookie

and Ira Newble is an idiot, he will never get a deal from Lining nor Peak, lol

13. tinman

Supporting Member

Ira Newble can do what he wants. I wonder if he was playing for a Chinese team if they would boot him?

its dumb. I guess political protest is just NORMAL for anyone living the US.

This is just as stupid as banning Sharon Stone films cause of what she said. What good does that do? Can't they just say that they don't value your opinion?

Too bad, Total Recall is a classic!

14. JustWannaChill

The Newble 'incident' happened in May 2007. It is kind of idiotic to link it to what happened in May 2008. And it is even more low-life and pathetic for those people who try to link this to a human disaster and try to make a story out of it.

15. whoisray

whoisray Contributing Member

Sharon Stone's thinking is just like what Osama Bin Laden said after 9/11. It's god doing the karma thing. Do you think its a valid reason?

16. tinman

Supporting Member

no. sharon stone is one person with an opinion, good or bad. i doubt sharon stone is a threat to china.

i doubt when some dude in china is renting BASIC INSTINCT or TOTAL RECALL that they are thinking about Sharon Stone's opinion on china, tibet, mexico, or the RKelly trial.

its just making Sharon Stone's statement EVEN MORE EFFECTIVE by banning her movies. you see how pointless this is?

but this is typical of china, they ban their own writers who dare write anything bad about the government or even singers who make rebel songs.

What if there was a NWA in china? you know Dre, Ice Cube, Easy E.. and their famous song F-Tha-Police? That would never happen in China. Why? cause the government controls the people's freedoms.

Did they ban Richard Gere yet? I know the censored Pirates of the Carribean because they didn't like Chow Yun Fat's role as a pirate.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

maybe instead of wasting their efforts of looking for over the hill hollywood actors to ban, they should consider finding some better ARCHITECTS to build schools and buildings in that area.
    I doubt all those homeless people are high fiving each other that Sharon Stone and Ira Newble are made examples of.
    I think they'd rather care about how to get their lives back in order.

If the CEO of Burger King hates the Rockets, I'm not protesting the Whopper.

Did the Flame Broiled BEEF ever do anything to Tmac's jumper? or Yao's foot?
    Getting extra pickles didn't make Luther Head miss jumpers.

So the Whopper has nothing to do with what the CEO of Burger King says.
    Sharon Stone's karma or movies never caused an earthquake or does it solve any problems. And who cares what she says anyway? I guess China does.

18. SevereCr1tic

SevereCr1tic Member

In Singapore, you can't even have someone beat up a policeman in a movie, or your movie won't make it to the cinemas there. What did you say about it?

I am sure there are tons of other ridiculous/thinking policy by people everywhere in the world because of political reasons, religious reasons, etc . The thing is that anything happen in China would become an international incident and everyone will join the party to pile on it. While the same people would look away from similar things happening around the world. I am not saying they are wrong to make their comments about China. But I surely think those people are pathetically hypocritical when they ignore similar things in other part of the world.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

So no NBA playoffs cause a bench player supposedly protested Darfur?
    Did the USA stop broadcasting Denver Nuggets games when Abdul-Rauf won't stand for the national anthem?

20. tinman

Supporting Member

Why are people even rating this thread?
    This is just a freaking news article!

The only thing I added that was speculation was Pryuen going Transor Z on TV towers.