1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Kobe better than MJ?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by giddyup, May 25, 2008.

?

Is Kobe Bryant better than Michael Jordan?

1. Yes

13.2%
  2. No

75.3%
  3. Undecided

11.5%
  1. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Nagging question which really looms up after this season: is Kobe Bryant better than Michael Jordan?

Simple. Direct.

2. ImmortalD24

ImmortalD24 Member

Absolutely.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No he isn't IMO.

4. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

There will be another Kobe, but there will never be another Michael Jordan. MJ is the champion plain and simple. Kobe is just an amazing scorer.

5. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Kobe is the best in the league, but MJ is the best EVARR!

...after Yao Ming :D

i keed i keed

6. Chuck04

Chuck04 Member

No. At the moment. Ask again in maybe another 5 years, or after Kobe has retired and the answer may be different. His feel for the game was spot on in game 1 against the Spurs. He came out a little passive looking to get his teammates involved, play the decoy draw the defence and get the role players some points. In the second half he sensed the team needed some points and put the Lakers on his back and carried them.

I have always been a bit of a Kobe-hater, but watching him play in the 2 games against the Spurs has changed my opinion of him, a little. He just has an amazing feel for the game and he isn't just all offence, he can actually lock it in and play D as well.

As for the original question Jordan is still ahead in nearly every aspect, but Kobe is closing the gap, in my opinion.

7. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Yes if you are a Lakers fan, Kobe hasn't proved nothing like Michael Jordan did, the best ever in the history of basketball.

8. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

NOT!!!

10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

You must be 10-16 years old if you voted Kobe. Maybe if Kobe can string together 2-3 more championships and add more MVPs to his career and he MIGHT have a chance. At this point, its not even close.

11. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

See what Kobe does with hand checking. Bet he struggles a lot more. Also no for other obvious reasons.

12. sook

sook Rookie

WTH??!??!?! Are you kidding me?

Kobe never won any rings on his own, he never won a playoff series on his own.

MJ = 6 Championship rings / 6 Finals MVP

Kobe = 3 Championship with Shaq and maybe more with Pao

STOP COMPARING KOBE TO JORDAN

We probably will never see a player come close

13. ricky812

ricky812 Member

Kobe may be the best player in the game by far but he is still nowhere close to jordan at this moment. Of course he still has atleast 5 more years to play, but the next 5 would have to be the best he's ever had for this question to even be seriously considered.

14. ricky812

ricky812 Member

Ever heard of a player named scottie pippen? He was really good, possibly the second best player in the league during his prime. Jordan gets all the credit for winning 6 championships because he was the one who did it in the clutch. Kobe may have had shaq, the most dominant player of our generation but I think you should give him a little more credit because he was the one who closed the fourth quarters.

15. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

No. If any of you think differently, go and watch some Bulls playoff games then get back to me.

However, Kobe is as close to MJ as anyone has gotten

16. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

i voted yes, but i don't necessarily think kobe is better. i think they're about tied. especially if kobe wins it all this year.

everyone wants to just hand jordan the title of greatest ever, and in all reality thats probably where my vote would go too.

but kobe had to deal with some things even jordan didn't. zone defense. permeter handcheck rules. bla bla bla. the league is different.

but i think playing with shaq would've been a struggle for jordan. he never had to play with a guy who demanded the ball. kobe did. and still succeeded.

no really... do you think jordan could've played with a guy who repeattedly said, 'gimme the ball, everyone on my back is a bum.' i'm not so sure.

do i think he's better? not necessarily, but its way closer than most people think.

17. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

I sometimes browse insidehoops.com to get news about other teams, trade rumors and such. It is an all-around terrible forum because it is made up from r****ded 15 year-olds but there are 10 or so excellent posters. Luckily, almost each one is a fan of a different team so you get a good perspective about most teams.

One time there was a thread that, although purely statistically, showed why MJ>>>Kobe. Ranging from obvious categories like FG%, scoring, assists, rebounds, steals, blocks, PER to more subtle categories... all in all Kobe wasn't even close. Every category, Jordan was better.

Let's not forget that guards are heavily favored in today's game.

It was like comparing Tracy to Luther. I know, I know, link? Maybe Clutch City Returns can help me out and search for it, he posts there.

So what I'm trying to say is, there is no argument and it's not even as close as people think.

18. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Nah, Jordan would've just stared Shaq down (figuratively) and made Shaq his beezatch. Plus Shaq was older and was the more accomplished and experienced player than Kobe. Not the case with Jordan.

19. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Wow, you're joking right? They did play in different eras but Kobe plays in an era that favors guards. So that argument works in favor for Jordan. You lay a fingernail on a guard on the perimeter and its a foul. Ever heard of the "Jordan Rules" than the Pistons used? Back then, a flagrant foul of todays standards were just regular hard fouls.

After a few years of being humbled, all MJ wanted to do was win. If he had Shaq, I bet he wouldn't had ran him out town like Kobe did. MJ won 6 rings without a dominant scoring inside presence during an era where "Big Men" were at their best. Imagine what he could do if he had Shaq on his team. They'd win more than just 6 titles.

Kobe succeeded because of Shaq. He'd be an idiot if he didn't give the ball to the most dominant player at that time. Take Shaq away and does Kobe win any championships or even make the first round? I'd like to see Kobe win some titles with little to no inside presence on offense before we can say "he's closer than people think".

20. engr chris

engr chris Member

No one wins on his own. Except if your talking about golf.