1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How many season would you wait for a Healthy season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Seth, May 23, 2008.

1. Seth

Seth Member

I was wondering, reading this forum i realized that the phrase "if x stays healthy" many times, so my question is:

How many seasons will you gave Yao and McGrady to show you they can Stay Healthy?

I will say that i´d wait until T-Mac expires, if Yao fails to have a full healthy season by that time he has to be traded by the deadline of that season (unless we are playing great).
    This way you´ll have Yao and Tmac off the books for the 2010 free agent class.
    LeBron and others.

2. abc2007

abc2007 Member

If Tmac and Yao could not keep healthy next season, I think the rockets should rebuild next summer.

3. mzymmm

mzymmm Rookie

have you being going to the church consistently for the past 3 years?

:D

4. Layupdrill

Layupdrill Member

When is McGrady's last year of contract? This next season?? Or does he have one more?

Its all about limiting those guys minutes so they can be healthy in the playoffs... Tmac and Yao are amazing together so I pray for their collective health. :cool:

5. Seth

Seth Member

Tmac has two years in his contract, so he will be here for 08-09 and 09-10, being a expiring contract that year.

Yao has a lot of years left, five i think.

6. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Yao has one more year in contract than Tmac.

7. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Go two more seasons with the present cast, maybe a little tweaking around the edges, then rebuild when we have cap space in the summer of 2010, and LeBron, DWade, Bosh et al are potential unrestricted free agents.

8. Pringles

Pringles Member

we are more likely to resign him to a bigger contract than tmac.

we're not doing anything this year, whether or not if health is a factor, we trade him.

tmac's expiring contract could look pretty darn good for some team that had a superstar that hasn't been working for them, and they also have a great young player to rebuild around. (due to them sucking, and winnin the lottery)

example? possibly joe johnson. (though it is like 75 cents for a dollar, lots of teams gets robbed with trading stars) possibly any two detroit starters (besides their center).

this is their 4th year? 1st year showing potential, but the next 3 just suckin. so one more year.

9. TmacsRockets

TmacsRockets Rookie

I agree. This is the last chance this season coming up.

10. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

when we resigned tmac after 04-05, he had one of the best individual playoffs series in the past few years.

if yao's play is as currently, he's not gonna be resigned for 20 mil a year. he might not even get a max contract after this max contract. remember tmac had a healthy 04-05 season so we gave him that contract. if we knew he was going to be injured, we would not have given him that contract. so as of right now, we're not going to resign yao after his contract ends either i believe. we're just going to ride it out, unless he stays healthy for 2-3 years straight.

11. pz350z

pz350z Member

i have a feeling that this upcoming season is do or die time for the yao and tracy show...
    if we don't get anywhere in the upcoming season, major change is soon to follow

12. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

Just want to remind you that Yao's shoulder is due for a surgery after this summer, which requires 6 months to recover/rehab. Don't know exactly when it's going to happen though, maybe after he retires? ;)

13. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

You assume one or both will miss significant time. What you hope for is that the injuries happen earlier in the season so that you can have both guys at 80%+ for the playoffs.

I think you can pencil Tmac in for at least 10 missed games a year AND for him to be banged up in April. Yao is a different story. If he can avoid the bone injuries then I think he can come into the playoffs as healthy as any other NBA big men have.

I think both guys playing 70+ games and being healthy entering the playoffs will never happen.

14. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

If we can add a 3rd piece to the puzzle, I'd keep em together. If not, this would be the last chance I'd give them. We can't continue to have a team with so much money committed to two guys that can't stay together for a full season.

15. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I honestly believe we are just over exhausting them. We need to help those guys out and get a bench. Get Mcgrady and Yao some rest during games so he can actually conserve his energy for the playoffs. We need to start looking for a back up wingman or a new starting wingman so mcgrady can sit for a good amount of time. If we can't do that then no matter who we get on this team we'll be discussing the issue of injuries through out the season. It is time to dig in the pockets and find us a bench.

16. g1184

g1184 Member

If I was guaranteed one healthy season, I'd wait forever.

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

One season. I want to clarify if both Yao and Tracy are healthy throughout a 82 game season plus the playoffs with a good supporting cast and they fail to get into the 2nd record or get badly beaten if they get there,it's time to trade them.

#17 saleem, May 24, 2008
    Last edited: May 24, 2008
  18. rockets_fanatic

I'd be looking at the mdical staff before I look to offload those players. If they were smart they would limit there minutes for the first third of the season of the season. We know Deke can play as a starter and without T-mac we will be foreced to trust Scola and our other role players to score.
    We need to manage those two guys early in the season.

19. dexkk

dexkk Member

I'll wait, 2 more years to see what this rockets team can do. Then I will sign Lebron to a max contract in 2010.

20. Darmonx

Darmonx Contributing Member

Yao is a good player but his fragility is limiting his abilities.

Down the road (when Yao is 29 or early 30's) he would be a great backup center getting Deke like minutes when Deke was 38 years old. It's kinda sad but it is what it is. He is good but he is glass.