1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

jalen rose trade is official

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by verse, Feb 19, 2002.

1. right1

right1 Member

Chicago would do much better by trading Rose for a top pick in the draft + a young player. By the time Curry & Chandler are ready to compete in the playoffs in 2-3 years, Rose will be headed downhill. He's too old & too costly for them to give up what they did. It they got a top pick + player for him in a turnaround trade?????

Curry
    Chandler
    Gooden/Dunleavy
    Crawford/Hassell/?
    Jason Williams/Best

The Pacers did well if they want to make the playoffs this year. They also have trade value in Miller, Artest & Mercer for deals in the offseason. Would the Rockets give their #5 for Miller & Artest??? I hope not. But, with a completely healthy team next year, how good would we be?

2. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

When I mean "creative" I don't mean flashly or motion, I mean being able to create points when you need to.

Let me clarify, if I am the Pacers and I really need a bucket against just about any East team I face I put the ball in Oneal's hands over Rose's. Oneal 1 one 1 has the advantage against anyone he would face, and if you double, well, the Pacer's have the shooters and Oneal flips it to the open man. As Ottomaton and I were also getting at, R. Miller and maybe even Mercer do this role better than Rose anyway--so what Rose does different than those guys (create with the ball, drive) is basically wasted in this kind of offense .

Granted Oneal has a lot to learn, but so did Shaq and KG and Duncan and Hakeem and Webber when they were young in the league. (Well, maybe not Duncan, he was already there). Oneal is the best young PF/C prospect in the East. The inside out offense isn't that complicated for them to develop but can be very effective even if at times boring. It makes sense for the Pacers to build their system around Oneal, and give him the ball in clutch situations so he and the team can develop.

3. beenieman

beenieman Member

Pacers won this trade. Rose currently has the most star potential, but Artest is a great all around player and improving. Why do the Bulls make this trade? Maybe if they were close to contending, but why trade youth if you are rebuilding? Best is probably gone after this year anyways, since he's a free agent.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The Bulls have gotten the better players,but it remains to be seen if Rose will fit in at SF/SG because he prefers to play as a PG.

5. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I don't know if he has to be the PG, PG, but I think he just wants the ball in his hands more.

Which I don't know why the Bulls wouldn't let them, seeing how they have lame PG's, as Best is very average.

6. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

You bring up valid points, but O'Neal is not that good of a low-post passer out of double teams.

To be a creator (I'm not talking about fancy moves) down low, you must be able to be a good passer down low. Duncan, Garnett, Barkley, Olajuwon, Shaq, etc all were/are great passing big men.

O'Neal does not rack up many assists (1.8) during a game, so why would he suddenly be able to collect clutch ones?

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Erm... Artest can sure play that defense, but he's hardly what one would term a 'shooter'
    Jalen Rose on the other hand is a shooter and a scorer and a defensive player - sure he's had a bit of an ordinary season this year, but he's a competitor and an enormous talent!

In terms of talent;
    Bulls win this trade by far! (who would've thought the Bulls would make a good move???)

But I think it suits the Pacers pretty well too!
    They have O'Neal producing big time in the post and have a great young PG in Tinsley; Harrington is probably their SF of choice now that Rose has gone (for next season of course), which makes them a much better rebounding team, and Reggie Miller has to be happy that his second cousin once removed Brad is on the team!

they seem to have scored toughness and an excellent fighting defender in Artest to play SF this year and with Mercer and Foster off the bench - on paper the Pacers look like a really good team!

8. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

The Bulls are idiots. They want to try to be in the lottery for the next three years. Their cap room will do no good as who wants to be in the lottery guaranteed for the next three years? Not Jalen. Not Best.

I believe that the Rockets could pick up Jalen and Best for Rice and Walt. It will give the Bulls more useless cap room in two years and additional years of lottery picks. They've developed meglamania sp? after the Jordan years. If they can't be in the championship they'd rather be in the lottery indefintely, hoping to strike Jordan again. Fantasizing about a dynasty can interfere with being a playoff contender apparently. If Curry and Tyson are not the next Shaq and Garnett, or close to it, the Bulls will be remembered for many years as idiots.

Indiana has made a great trade. Miller gives them all the center they need with their strong young guys. Artest gives them depth and defense. Mercer alone is a decent replacement for an unhappy Jalen. Best was just not needed. Essentially they add Artest and Miller for nothing.

9. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

DrN, Artest isn't a terrible shooter or terrible scorer. We are not talking about a Bruce Bowen, Rodrick Rhodes or even a Shandon Anderson here. Artest is a good enough offensive player that he can't be completely ignored (doubled off of)--which is all you want from a really good defensive player.

KR, Hakeem and Shaq were not good passers when they were (J) Oneal's age either. Webber was (at least in the occasional spectacular fashion), and Duncan was, but most big men are not. The Pacers are better off learning to run the offense through Oneal as the 1st option. While Oneal is still learning and it isn't working they can also do their screen game with guys like Miller and Mercer.

Not only do I think does the move benifit Indiana in the short term by strengthing their defense and making them more physical (which more than offsets what they lose in Rose's creative offensive abilities), but they got younger in the process. It is a win all around for Indiana from my view.