1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who should the Rockets draft?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mzymmm, May 21, 2008.

1. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

Roy Hibbert.

Douglas-Roberts wouldn't be a good choice. He seems like a team cancer if you ask me.

2. Vivid

Vivid Member

If the Mayo thing worked out (For Battier and 1st Pick plus fut. 1st for Mayo and 2nd rounder...for which they have 4)...doubtful...I would use the second rounder on Bill Walker...this guy was a lottery pick a couple years back....don't know why he dropped...his numbers are solid...DeRozan next year is projected at number 2 next lottery...and they sound like the exact same player...athletic, fiery, jaw-dropping...they compare Walker to Ruben...a defensive player with offensive potential? If anything he will throw down some crazy dunks. We need to get Artest or Miller with the rest of our trade assets (Jackson, Brooks, Head). We need a back up 5 (Dorsey with the other 2nd, a little short but is an aggressive rebounder, we could use that against teams like Utah). Re-sign Greene (Walker athletic defender, Greene athletic shooter). Alston as backup is not a bad idea.

Yao 32 Dorsey16 Deke
    Scola 28 Landry 20 Hayes
    Artest 30 Harris 10 Novak 4
    Tmac 32 Walker 18 Greene
    Mayo 30 Alston 18 Francis

Let them battle it out for final rotation.

3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Totally agree that PG is harder to fill!

We'd have to be sure that Mayo was going to cut the mustard (...) But if we were sure, then I'd be all for taking him and sending Alston on his way.

Whoever we'd be looking for at the '3' spot would need to be a lights out shooter - that's why Kapono came to mind (he's about the best in the league..); I'm not high on Maggette/ Pietrus on this team because they aren't great shooters. Give me the 'spacing guy' any time especially if we're picking up another scorer - they'd need room to operate!

Anyway - it puts the 40% and over guys (Ricky Davis/ James Jones/ Matt Carroll) on the radar...

4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

If we dream a lineup then no doubt it'll happen...

Not to be picky, but doesn't Steve Novak sub in as a "power" forward?

5. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

I agree, you'd have to be absolutely sure that Mayo's talent warrants the gamble. There is no way to say for absolute certainty that any rookie is going to be a sure-fire star. The difference is that you believe that certain players have the talent to be stars and hope that they develop and become the players that they can be. That's how I see it at least.

Do I believe that Mayo has the talent to be a star in this league? Yes. What about you? Maybe you don't think he has the personality? Perhaps, but would you take the chance on him? I would. Hope Morey sees it that way.

At the three spot, James Jones would be ideal out of anyone on that you listed. You want a lights-out shooter at the three for us if they completed the draft day trade? James Jones was second in three point percentage behind Kapono last year before he became injured midway through the season. He's also a better defender and more athletic in my opinion than Kapono. I don't think he is a free agent though.

#85 JusBleezy, May 23, 2008
    Last edited: May 23, 2008
  6. htownbball

htownbball Member

7. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

In my honest opinion

do what Boston Celtics and Danny Ainge did last draft.

Trade the pick!

Our team don't have the time to develop the project that we'll very likely be taking at no.25. He'll be somewhat like Aaron Brooks and we all see how much Aaron Brooks did to help the team this season.

Please trade the pick in a package.

Basically I'm saying do things similar to what Ainge did. Even though we don't have the 5th pick like they did, a 1st rounder is still a 1st rounder.

8. Darmonx

Darmonx Contributing Member

Why is this guy flying under the radar? I haven't seen him in any mock drafts so far but have never seen him play either:

Alek Maric, HT: 6-11
    Senior year stats:
    PPG: 15.7
    RPG: 10.1
    FG%: 0.575
    Blocks: 1.7
    Steals: 1.3

Anyone know more about this guy?

9. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Haven't even heard of this guy...we don't need any PFs anyways

Morey said we'll be drafting the best player available...you don't get much choice at no.25...

10. Darmonx

Darmonx Contributing Member

He's listed as a center. With Deke out and Yao always injured, I can't understand why the Rockets won't think center.

11. HoustonFan4Life

CDR or Brandon Rush. We need scorers that can handle the ball and create for themselves.

12. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

13. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Brandon Rush would be like getting Battier 2.0 to play the 2G position. Good player great shooter and defender but he always defers to others on the team to be the man.

I would be fine with CDR or Rush or Chalmers. I would prefer CDR.

We need a 2G we can rely on to score. Head is killing us with his ability to completely lose all shooting touch in any game that counts.

Head... You are the weakest link... Goodbye.

14. mzymmm

mzymmm Rookie

Brandon Rush, I don't know, he's okay, i think he's a scrub...but i like chalmers, i think he is much better than arron brooks, and has more potential at 6'2" with freakish wingspan and leaping and defensive ability. One of the best defensive guard in ncaa. i am very high on chalmers, but I think he will go before we pick, although many had projected him to go late 1st, early second round.

15. Gwill88

Gwill88 Member

I like Chalmers too, but when I compare him to Lester Hudson (via draft sites) - Hudson seems a little more interesting. I'd be happy with either pick - both can shoot and play D.

16. mzymmm

mzymmm Rookie

Hudson is good, but I would not pick him with our 25th. If we dont get chamlers and got a sg/sf at 25th. Then I say get a pick from seattle and draft him in the second round. btw, seattle has like 7 picks, i am sure we can get one from them for cheap. they can't add 7 player to their roster!
    :D

17. dram1

dram1 Member

Finally someone throws him in the discussion. He is a slasher, plays d, can hit the occasional jumper, but he plays hard. Upgrade over Head. At 25 pick, you can't complain.

But CDR does intrigue me. He just has a knack of putting up crafty shots that make. Others that make me think a bit.....Davon Jefferson, Donte Green, and Wayne Ellington.

18. mzymmm

mzymmm Rookie

If you compare Rush's ncaa final showing with Luther Head, then Luther Head was even more amazing. His stock was way up the ceiling after ncaa final. Rush was at best "okay", I am not high on him, I think he will be a all time bench player. Where chalmers even hudson might one day be a starter in this league. so does CDR, he has that potential too.

19. mzymmm

mzymmm Rookie

Just another thought on Hudson, he has not played in a competitive conference, so it might take him longer than Chalmers to come in and run a NBA level team. I mean i imaging it will take him much longer (if ever) to learn to run a team. But if he ever does, he will be a terrific scoring guard. But Chalmers has been running a championship ncaa team for 3 years? That is invaluable experience in a nation's top program, trust me it's gazzillion times better than UT-martin playing in ohio valley conference.

Will see who will work out with the rockets.

20. mzymmm

mzymmm Rookie

"When asked, Hudson was able to produce a long list of team’s that had already contacted him in regards to individual workouts, including: Detroit, New Jersey, Denver, Portland, Seattle, Houston, Minnesota, Toronto, Cleveland, San Antonio, Memphis, Boston, Sacramento and Utah. "
    Okay hudson will work out for us I guess, I am guessing chalmers too, obviously we are looking at pgs.