1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[help]anime

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by The_Yoyo, May 15, 2008.

Tags:
  1. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

so seeing the thread about death note I havent really watched any anime's in some time I was wondering if there are any recommendations from anyone here.

I am not a huge anime fanboy but I do enjoy them, there are just so many that I really wouldnt know which ones to pick and all.

For example these are the animes that I have seen: (all the episodes that I know of)

ranma 1/2
    love hina
    dragonball (the original, i didnt get into Z after the first few episodes)
    ronin warriors
    kenshin/samurai x

I guess I am into action comedies or a bit more traditional action types. I've read various manga that are shows but never really got into them.

any good recommendations and if anyone knows a good torrent site where i can get full seasons of the shows pref fansubs i dont care for english dubs unless its the only thing available.

Thanks in advance!

2. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

www.animesuki.com

torrent site to almost every single anime out there. usually the ones with the most seeds and downloads are the newest hottest thing. enjoy.

3. tested911

tested911 Member

go to crunchyroll.com Watch it at work daily :)

Current Animes I'm watching

Code Gaess Season2
    Macross Frontier
    Vampire Knight

Just finished Kaiji ( Awesome gambling life series )

4. droxford

droxford Member

The one that stands out the most to me is:

Ninja Scroll

This piece of anime is not as abstract as others. It has violence, gore, profanity, and sex. And the plot is pretty durned cool. I recommend it highly.

5. The_Yoyo

yeah i have seen that movie before I was trying to find more of a series because with the majority of tv shows going into their season finale in the upcoming weeks i need something to fill the void of the summer.

6. Fuzzybear

Fuzzybear Contributing Member

heyy yoyo! Veoh.com is pretty awesome for streaming anime HQ(or anything) in full episodes.

Generally I've found if you type in anything in google: Naruto episode 1 veoh, you'll come up with something like this:

Naruto Ep 1

Here's my most recommended - bleach

Bleach episode 1

if you download veoh tv it comes out a little clearer.

7. demon77

demon77 Member

animesuki suck............since they filter licensed anime and many other torrent.

http://www.tokyotosho.com is the best. (tho, i grab half of mine anime from irc)

The only anime that i'm actively watching is code geass 2 and vampire knight.

8. famicom

famicom Member

I would recommend these too, they'll get you through the summer minimum if you're watching it everyday. Both series are over 150 episodes+. I would also recommend "Haime no Ippo", it a boxing one with pretty funny stuff. The themes all seem a bit the same though..

9. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Actually I think the Animesuki is exactly what a site for anime in the U.S. should be. It helps to generate fanbase and create a market, but have enough morals to make sure the creators have a chance to get paid.

10. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

YoYo- Check out anime-source.com. It has great user reviews. link.

My top two favorites are in their top five- Hajime no Ippo and Great Teacher Onizuka. They're both based in modern-day japan, and neither have any super powers, but they are both great stories.

Ippo is about a wimpy kid in high school who joins a boxing gym after the Japanese champ saves him from bullies. My all time favorite, and if you like it, the Manga keeps the story going for years after the series ends (although the series has a good ending).

GTO is about an ex-gang member who gets into teaching High School so he can score with the girls (Japanese are nuts). He ends up teaching the 'bad kids' class, that is full of genius level kids that cause all sorts of problems. He ends up winning them over. It's a great anime with lots of comedy.

And of course, if you haven't seen Cowboy Bebop, you need to watch that first. Probably the best, most polished anime series of all time (although not my favorite).

11. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Animenfo's Top 200 has a pretty good list of the better anime series out there. It doesn't really list the more recent stuff though, but the series on the list are all pretty good. It also breaks down the genre of the anime and a little summary.

12. TheyCallmeExMan

berserk and eyeshield 21 was pretty good.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Ronin Warriors rocked hard when I was a kid.

14. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

boxtorrents.com

But do yourself a favor:
    Put down the anime crap. There's some good stuff out there (Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Love Hina, FLCL, etc.), but most of what you're seeing is the same crap repackaged and reshown for the 10,000th time (see Naruto, Bleach).

Instead of watching generically produced, canned animation, watch the pinnacle of all animation of all time:
    <object width="425" height="373"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6lKUOhvdlug&hl=en&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6lKUOhvdlug&hl=en&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="373"></embed></object>

Far ahead of its time, incredible art, lovable characters, deep cultural references, amazing soundtrack, etc. Anime's got nothing on this.

Then again, nothing else does either.
    Now, back to my Vikings paper.

#14 blathersby, May 15, 2008
    Last edited: May 15, 2008
  15. The_Yoyo

thanks i'll check out a bit of these i have some catching up to do hopefully i can play most if not all of these on my ps3 to my tv.

yeah i have seen some of cowboy bebop when it was on tv during adult swim

man that writers strike really upset me i used to grab an entire season of shows i didnt watch during its season and watch them over the summer but there arent too many shows that aired or even had normal full seasons.

16. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I've also been on a steady anime run the past few months, so I've sampled a bunch of stuff. If you like action comedy stuff, the one show that I've been most impressed with recently is Kateikyoushi Hitman Reborn aka Home Tutor Hitman Reborn. It's about A wimpy kid that unbeknownst to him is the heir to a Mafia family. So a Hitman (who happens to look like a little kid) from his "family" is sent to tutor him and toughen him up in the ways of the mafia.

The first 20 episodes or so of the series, are kind of repetitive standalone eps with more or less the same format. But the show is funny and I generally liked the "slice of life" quality of those eps. From episode 20 on, the show takes on more traditional shonen arcs. There's the approaching enemy, the training scenes, and the eventual confrontation that was made so ubiquitous by Dragonball and it's modern day clones.

But what sets Reborn apart from shows like Naruto and Bleach is that the show isn't stretched out. The arcs are of manageable lengths, and each episode actually progresses the story, instead of crawling at a snail's pace for hundreds of eps.

I watched this show on crunchyroll.com, but that was before they made the highest quality only available through p2p. You can watch the show on Veoh. This guy looks like he's got the whole series so far:

http://www.veoh.com/users/Serth

or download it off megaupload, which I do sometimes with a series:

http://www.cyber12.com/page-Hitman_Reborn.html

Or you can just dig around for a torrent.

P.S. Yoyo, I'm moving out of state this summer (moving back to Hawaii), so it was cool watching Rox games with you sometimes. I'll see you around the bbs and the chat.

17. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

You should definitely start on "Samurai Champloo" first. It's only like twenty-two episodes long, but still a goodie.

18. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Best anime soundtrack ever. Trip-hop GOLD.

19. The_Yoyo

what? crazy we should meet up for a beer or something before you finally bounce. it was fun I am glad to have been able to take you to your first rockets game last year against the clippers in the suite

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Full Metal Alchemist is gender neutral. My sisters liked the characters and storyline. So I think it's safe to say that anyone can watch it.

My preferences for watching anime are action, philosophical questions, human insights, or all of the three. I also need a conclusive ending.

For no particular reason, I liked Evangelion, Kenshin (up to mid-series), X, Outlaw Star.

Brainless action:
    Naruto (not finished)
    Hunter X Hunter (no anime ending)
    Hajime No Ippo (no anime ending)
    Bleach (not finished)
    Scryed

Sci-fi that makes you think:
    Cowboy Bebop
    Serial Experiments Lain
    Paranoia Agent
    Ghost in the Shell

Bloody and violent:
    Berserk (no anime ending)
    Gantz (no anime ending)
    Hellsing (no anime ending)

Most Favorite:
    Legend of Galactic Heroes

Does anyone else think Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence is a work of art? The pacing makes some think it's boring, but it allows you to absorb all of the detail. It just makes you wonder, where in the world will humanity lead itself into?

#20 Invisible Fan, May 15, 2008
    Last edited: May 15, 2008