1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[anime] Death Note

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, May 15, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Anyone Watch this. . .. I just started watching it . ..
    basically i think on the Suggestion of folx here

It is very interesting so far . . . . . I am a bit surprised

Rocket River
    Just on Episode 6

2. demon77

demon77 Member

done watching it long long ago......... (including the movies)

I hope your watching the fan sub btw.....

Awsome anime, tho I'm a bit sad like everyone else with something that happen in the mid series. Hope you won't consider it as a spoiler :D .

3. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Death Note is good. I think Monster is even better. If you really like the anime, you should try reading the manga. The first half of the manga/anime is terrific, the second half was subpar imo. The second half felt like the story was tacked on, the plot etc wasn't as polished or as thought out as the first.

4. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I thought the anime was brilliant and suspenseful and imaginative, but I agree with you.

5. demon77

demon77 Member

Monster was just painful........its a great anime, but its ruined due to fact that its freaking 75 episodes long. I Practically forced myself watching the last 20 eps in 1 sitting.

But the ending still somewhat piss me off since the decision by the "mother" is somewhat ambiguous. For example, did she picked her daughter? or the son? Maybe she wanted to pick the daughter, but mistaken her for his son? or she wanted to pick her son, so she picked her daughter?

ps. Code Geass 2 4TW!!!!

6. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Might be my favorite anime (though not manga... that goes to Berserk). I honestly think it's at its very best in the first third of the show. The second third is still very good, though the feel of it is a bit different. Then there's a big plot twist and, well... it's just not as good after that. Still worth watching, but the show certainly reaches its peak less than halfway in, IMO.

7. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

I recommend all the non-asian folks to read 'Death Note'. Because in 2 years Hollywood will probably steal the idea and make it into a movie.

(i keed....not really)

A smart google search will probably lead you to a bunch of english translated versions.

8. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

The story should have ended there. I barely pick up Japanese comics after school but Death Note worths some reading time.

p.s. just read chow_yun_fat's post, agree with him totally.

9. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

I think chow_yun_fat was referring to the Death Note manga, not Monster manga, in his post.

10. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Yeah I read the manga online and it's pretty good. Not the most entertaining stuff, but defintely one of the more enthralling manga out there.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Monster's ending left a bad taste with me. All that buildup and nothing to show for it.... Its mangaka also did 20th Century Boys. Pick it up, if you haven't read it. The tone and feeling of it reminded me of Y: The Last Man.

Totally agree. Still one of the best series to watch though. I liked reading the manga of Death Note more than the anime, probably because I read it first.

Berserk is one of my favorites too, but I'll probably be 50 when it's completed....

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

you mean . . . .like maybe use the concept in a NickleBack Video? :D

Rocket River

13. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

I watched a few episodes but I didn't have time to finish it. I liked what I saw.

What is this 'video' you speak of? I heard tell of legends of these on MTV, but alls I sees on there now is reality shows for thirteen-year-old girlfolk.

14. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

Death Note is great. It is the first anime of it's kind that I've watched. (i.e. No fighting with swords, guns, or energy balls) I first heard about the series in the videogame Jump Ultimate Stars, but I didn't know anything about it until recently. Love the series.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Just got back from the Movies
    and
    saw a Poster for the LIVE ACTION VERSION of Death Note

what can one expect out of this?

Rocket River

16. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Haha, cliffhangers ftw. I guess it's up to your imagination on who she picked. I was baffled for a few minutes, then my short attention span kicked in and I forgot all about it.

I'm surprised there are so many Berserk, Monster and Death Note fans here. I thought I was the only geek who thought these anime/manga are terrific. :cool:

ps: Does anyone know a website that continues the Berserk manga with translations? The site I used to visit stopped scanning/translating them :(

17. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Yep, Death Note is very good!

Nice concept, I like it

18. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

I use to be an anime person

and I stopped due to College and work

and Now i am addicted to what i think is probably the best anime I have ever seen in my entier life...all things considered

its called One Piece

Its not as deep as some of the other ones, but I dont want to watch deep anime, I just want to watch something seneless and somethng that will keep me entertained

One piece has ALOT OF ACTION, and none of those Lags that other anime tend to have, very funy, melodramatic, and has a tonne of characters seriously there are a tonne..and they all look different

I give it a two thumbs up....(sorry for detracting from the original post, but I didnt want to start a thread about anime)

19. ImmortalD24

ImmortalD24 Member

I thought it was pretty lame.. I only watched like 2 episodes when it first came out and just lost interest.

I'm not into these new animes.. :(

20. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I'm a fan of One piece as well. But I haven't recommended it in any threads because of the length of the series. It's at about 350 eps with no end in sight. That's quite a daunting amount if you're new to the series. And to be honest, there were some episodes there that I really wanted to skip right through (specifically the Sky Island arc, which couldn't end fast enough IMO).

But to One Piece's credit, it does have a lot going for it; nice mix of characters, pretty good action that isn't too repetitive, way out melodrama that is actually pretty touching at times. There's a couple story arcs late in the series that is among the best stuff I've ever seen from a tv show, anime or not. The "Davy back" arc is incredibly entertaining and funny, while the CP9 saga is heart-wrenching, emotional, and yet action-packed and exciting.

If you've got nothing to watch this summer, love shonen-style action-comedies, and got some time on your hands, then I would recommend One Piece. I always found this site the handiest for downloading a few eps at a time:

http://www.animebreaker.com/content/view/1926/30/

Or you can search for it on veoh.