1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

7.8 Earthquake strikes China

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, May 12, 2008.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it seems the natural disasters are getting worse and worse every year.

2. ty185

ty185 Member

btw, somehow I forgot to mention...

Yao Ming has pledged a donation of ¥500,000(around $70,000, IIRC) towards the cause. I'm not quite sure about the exact time order, but he should be among the first ones to react to the tragedy.

Couldn't be more proud to have him as a rocket.

3. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/sp/article/2008/200805/20080513/article_359398.htm

Go Yao!

4. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

#104 yuantian, May 13, 2008
    Last edited: May 13, 2008
  5. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Predictably, you can count on BBC, as well as several other major British news outlets for that matter, including Reuters, Guardian, and Times of London, to be among the least trusted sources when it comes to reporting China.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aJOvDvOP1fTU&refer=home

6. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

The terrain is very complicated with narrow air clearance, further in the region it's been raining heavily.

7. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

That is my point, it doesn't matter if it the US or Chinese airforce, they face the same problem. Maybe the US pilots and speical force are better trained than their Chiense counterpart, but I think it is still a very dangerous situation.

8. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

9. realrockyboy

realrockyboy Rookie

Technology is painfully helpless when facing the wrath of nature

10. yuantian

i don't think he has 500K to spare at the moment. jackie chan makes more money than he does.

11. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The bit about foreign assistance wasn't from BBC. IIRC, an AP or AFP story quoted a Chinese official saying what I reported. I'm not going to dig it up now because I don't have the time to search whatever stories I was reading this morning.

The only bit I got from BBC was about the building codes. They also had some pretty good radio coverage this afternoon with reporting from people on the ground in the affected areas. You shouldn't make assumptions. And if you look at the context of that quote, it is clear that it is being said with regards to material donations. This doesn't conflict with what I have said. I see nothing that indicates that China would welcome US soldiers on her soil. If you hear of something in that regard, I would be interested to see it.

I don't think China even really needs foreign manpower assistance. The PLA seems to be doing a good job without it, from everything I've read.

#111 Ottomaton, May 13, 2008
    Last edited: May 13, 2008
  12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I was listening to NPR today on the way home and they mentioned that Bush had offered $500,000 in US disaster relief. This has to be a mistake right? If not - is he going to pay pal it over to the Chinese government?

13. yuantian

i never know how these things work. thinking it's probably going through some sort of US aid organizations. probably arrives later to buy supplies.

14. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

No, this is not joke.

Chinese people appreciate any kind of foreign donations.

OTOH, I looked up Chinese govt donations after Katrina---- $5 million along with emergency supplies, including 1,000 tents, 600 generators.

15. ty185

ty185 Member

yao pledged his help very early, when the details of the disaster was unknown. almost ALL of my friends were expecting the death toll to be around 1,000 or lower at that time. Most people online while was dazzled by the magnitude of the quake, felt that China dodged a bullet as it hit a relatively remote area.

it is only after the death toll of BeiChuan city come out that people starts to really realize the seriousness of this earth quake. before that fact is known, $70,000 is actually pretty fair.

I, personally, was talking to my friends in MSN during the early hours, saying that I would be shelling out my wallets right now if the quake hit Chengdu instead of the montainous region. but since it mostly hit a no-man's land, I'll probably not donate this time.

after the BeiChuan city news come out? My gf and I are donating out everything we can afford this month saving the very basic food and rents.

16. ucsd

ucsd Rookie

Good for you!

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To be fair to Bush and the US government this is immediate aid and likely only the first part of a bigger payment.

18. YaoYi

YaoYi Member

every bit helps, let's not make it a contest about who donated the most!

so on behalf of my fellow Chinese countrymen, thanks!

19. YaoYi

YaoYi Member

500k was the initial amount, to date Yao has donated 2,000,000 RMB for the quake relief.

20. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Yep, looks like my PS3 is going to have to be put on hold now :(