1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What we really need.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fuzzybear, May 11, 2008.

1. Fuzzybear

Fuzzybear Contributing Member

A Combo Guard.

What we really need is a combo guard. We need a guy like the old Mike James, or the old Bobby Sura, or the old Bobby Jackson, to come in and take advantage of opportunities from Tmac/Yao.

When you think about Adelman's system, it doesn't require a true point to run it, it actually runs best when you have scoring threats at the point and off-guard. Bibby/Jackson were definitely more scoring oriented than distributing.

(Starters)
    Delonte West
    Mo Williams (Bad Contract)
    Jason Terry (Costs too much)
    Jameer Nelson (Untouchable)
    Beno Udrih (Maybe)

(Bench type)
    Ronnie Price/Jannero Pargo
    Juan Carlos Navarro (in spain? wants big contract?)
    Keyon Dooling
    Kyle Lowry (short)
    Jarrett Jack
    Steve Blake
    Carlos Arroyo
    Juan Dixon
    Antonio Daniels (too old?)

2. zforrest

zforrest Member

What we need is to score more points than the other team when it really counts.

3. Shay

Shay Member

Dis agree , I have had enough with the small ass players like Wesley , Luther Head , Mike James , Bobby Jackson.
    We need some size.

4. abc2007

abc2007 Member

The rockets are built around Yao, a super center. What we really need is a ture, pure pg, like Calderon. The rockets have looked for a good pg for years. We shouldn't miss this chance. I think one reason for Yao's injury is that he played too difficult, too tired. The rockets need to create some easy baskets for him, just like that the lakers are doing for Gasol.

5. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

6. Champ Caliber

Champ Caliber Member

[​IMG]

At the very least please be 6'6" and above. :eek:

NO MORE MIDGETS!!!!!

7. Fuzzybear

What I'm saying is that a good combo guard will do wonders for us at the POINT.

This is in response to the clamors for Calderon and the pure pg... I'm not talking about having an undersized 2, I'm saying let's take a normal sized 1 with some shooting/offense.

A combo guard is simply a cheaper better fit. What good is a pure pg if he costs you the farm, but doesn't fully utilize his pg instincts?

8. ssp0929

ssp0929 Member

The perfect player to fit Adelman's system is Bibby. But it's too late to get him now.

9. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Of course we need to upgrade at pg position, of course we need to add 3rd scorer to this team....

But I also think we need a post-up player on the bench. We can post up Shane, Yao, McGrady but when bench comes is we can't post up anybody. We need a strong SF who can post up, who can score. I think that is important

10. ssp0929

ssp0929 Member

We need a capable sixth man. Because this happens every game, when TMAC goes out, the team just falls apart offensively.

11. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Chuck, Deke --> useless offensivly,

Luther only plays well when he gets it rolling, Bobby was out of rythm...

We just don't have a scorer who could make things happen when McGrady/Yao are on the bench

12. ssp0929

ssp0929 Member

Exactly. Landry is the next man up, but they don't really setup plays for post players besides Yao and Chuck when he cuts to the basket.

13. GoRedRowdies

GoRedRowdies Member

WEST?
    PRICE?
    Navarro is in MEMPHIS
    BLAKE?
    ARROYO?
    DIXON?

WOW MAN YOU HAVE NO EFFIN IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. THOSE PLAYERS ARE WORTHLESS.

14. Fuzzybear

Red Rowdies... overreact much?
    Btw Navarro is in Spain right now and isn't sure about returning to Memphis...

Yeah, sure those guys are worthless - guess you didn't see Ronnie Price torch us or just Tayshaun Prince Luke Walton.

15. GoRedRowdies

GoRedRowdies Member

This last game he was

1-3 FOUR POINTS

AB can do better than that. Why are you so high on Ronnie Price? Undersized PG.

Are you related?

16. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Wrong, with a guy like Yao, you have to have more traditional PGs. If your big is Dirk or Duncan, then you can live with combo guards like Parker and Harris.

17. Fuzzybear

Actually I am related to ronnie price, he's the son I had with your mom. Guess that's where the worthless genes came from.

18. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

Bend Gordon would be nice. Doubt we can get him. I think Francis will probably fill our needs for a combo guard next season. I hope he can do what Bobby Sura did for us. *crosses fingers*

19. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Im with you Fuzzybear...

I've been saying this for a while too. The only way we're gonna get a pure PG who can play better than Alston is now is by blind luck (either a good draft prospect or an improved young PG). We should be looking at a good combo guard. The guy who plays with Tmac has it easy anyways because he makes alot of the plays.

Calderon is a really good player and it would be great if we could get him but i doubt we can. We can get a guy who would help us just as much by getting a knock down shooting combo guard.

20. akiracy

akiracy Member

this thread starts and ends with kirk hinrich, even in an off year he is putting up better numbers than rafer. a big pg capable of guarding both guard positions so we can rest shane and tracy more. add a reliable swingman and backup C for depth and we're set. if francis proves that he still has something left in the tank, then that makes him and rafer expendable.

only downside about hinrich is his contract