1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is Preston Shumpert so underrated?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by NCSTATEFAN, Feb 17, 2002.

1. NCSTATEFAN

NCSTATEFAN Member

The few times I have watched this guy play, he has displayed some nice skills. I was checking out nbadraft.net, and they project this guy going basically the end of the second round. He kinda reminds me of Ric Hamilton, but a better passer. And at 6'6, he has idea NBA height.

Maybe someone can enlighten me on exactly what is wrong with Shumpert that I have missed. Otherwise, this guy appears to be a steal!

2. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

He doesn't seem to be too athletic.

It seems like the guy has been at the Cuse for 10 years now.

3. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

Looks like it too :) That guy could easily pass for a 35 year old.

I think he might have a chance in the league, but he'll be one of those very good college players that amount to very little in the league. Like kid said, he just doesn't have the athleticism to be a real player. If he does find a role, I could see him being a very, very, poor, poor man's Eddie Johnson. I mean like cardboard box poor. :)

4. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Watching Shumpert a few times this year, I don't see one aspect of Shumpert that is great.

He seems to be decent at a lot of stuff.

I would say he's a "cardboard box-poor" version of Jalen Rose.

5. beenieman

beenieman Member

As someone else replied, the reason he is not considered a top prospect is his lack of NBA Athleticism; unlike the very quick Rip Hamilton. He is alot more similar to Terry Dehere, the former Seton Hall great that was just too slow for the NBA.

6. NCSTATEFAN

NCSTATEFAN Member

He can't be that bad. I really don't remember his court speed, but he did seem to keep other players involved on the offense which impressed me, along with a nice shooting touch. But thanks for the feedback!:)

7. Dave Jamerson

Dave Jamerson Member

preston= walt williams and i hate 'cuse so this is a bias observation, don't kill me for it.

8. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

Preston should be so lucky.

I don't think people remember what a stud Walt was at Maryland. Believe it or not, people were comparing him to a poor man's Magic Johnson.

Where did the handles go? I just don't know.

9. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Walt got his nickname because he was a tremendous ballhandler and passer for a 6 ft 8 guy.

I would imagine that Walt had to have been much faster too in his college days.