1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the rockets go for Jose Calderon?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by abc2007, May 9, 2008.

Tags:
  1. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I think so!

The below is what Calderon said recently in his blog.

http://josemanuelcalderon.com/indexEN.html

"As of today, the Raptors would like me to continue, however until the 1st of July we will not know anything about the possible renewal or other offers from teams interested in me for next season. What is clear is the fact that if I have to choose between a sports offer versus an economic offer, I will opt for the first. I want to be a starter and to be in a team that aspires for everything. Of course I will not be on a team in which I cannot be an important contributor nor if there is not a solid structure or if there are not options to be in the “Playoffs”.

2. nycundaground

nycundaground Member

Yes we should.

3. Keivan

Keivan Member

No question, Calderon is one of the best point guards in the league, and if we have a chance to get him, we will no doubt.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Of course, but why would he take the MLE when he should get better offers...even considering his desire to take a "sports" offer first?

5. kona-

kona- Member

Well you can only look at what he has to say. We cant just assume he would rather not do anything in the playoffs and get paid big or get paid a little less and have a good chance at a ring.

He said he wants to play for a contender, He seems to already know that all the contenders dont have huge money amounts to pay out, so he already seems willing to take a pay thats not as big as he is worth.

If the rockets pulled in him, omg will I be ready for the season to start.

6. abc2007

abc2007 Member

How many playoff teams can offer him the starting pg position? I think in the WC, only the rockets and the lakers. In the EC, maybe cavs, but I don't think the raptors will let him go to a EC playoff team. In fact, the rockets and the lakers are his only choices. The lakers can give him MLE, but the rocekts can give him MLE + shoe contract.

7. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

We need him. Jesus.. we really need him. this is the biggest wish come true if it happens.. ive watched alot of toronto games and this guy DOES NOT TURN THE BALL OVEr, is quick, and shoots like 50% from 3s

oh man oh man, i hope it happens... its a dream come true if it does

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You can bet the Raptors will burn phone lines to move TJ Ford so that they can give Calderon his starting job. And his money.

Remember, Calderon was once playing the good guy, acting like it was all for the good of the team if he didn't start, making TJ Ford look bad for being honest about wanting to be a starter.

Now money isn't the big factor, he just wants to start. Later, though, it might just be about the money. He's better than the MLE.

More likely for the Rox to trade for TJ Ford than to nab Calderon with the MLE, which could lose us Landry anyway.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Kona, abc2007, even assuming he'd agree to sign for the MLE, he is a restricted free agent. he can say he wants to start all he wants, Brian Colangelo would be an idiot not to match that offer, if only to use as trade bait later.

10. lastmanstanding

No way it's gonna happen. End of story.

11. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Calderon deserves a starting pg job! No one wants Ford, he is not better than Rafer and takes twice money.

12. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Yes, I think the rockets need to give up something for him. In fact, the raptors will trade the one (Calderon or Ford) who can get back the most. I think they know Calderon will be the one to go.

13. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

Aren't the taxes ridiculous in Toronto? I thought that's why many players don't like to play there (Steve Francis).

14. abc2007

abc2007 Member

BTW, I think Calderon himself also knows he is the one to go. This the reason why he wrote this blog.

15. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

Should they? Absolutely. Likelihood we could actually get him? Ehhhh, low. Still explore the possiblity though.

16. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

He had a hell of a year. He would be a guy that I would trade Rafer for, don't think Toronto is going to trade him, I see them moving TJ Ford before they move him.

I like his attitude, TJ Ford wanted to start and he said he was OK with coming off the bench if it would help the team. I also would not trade Ford for Alston, Alston is better to me.

17. SaFe

SaFe Contributing Member

Just out of curiosity, is it possible do a Sign-and-trade with a team other then Toronto, assuming Toronto aren't going to match the offer. If so, we could keep our MLE which would be pretty sweet.

18. conquistador#11

we get calderon and garbajosa in a package. Their love for spain will be embraced here and not frowned upon.

Now the raptors want to engage in peace talks. It might be a little late.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/423237
    "PEACE TALKS: Bryan Colangelo is trying to make peace with Spain.

The Raptors launched a multi-million lawsuit against the Spanish Basketball Federation over an insurance claim regarding Jorge Garbajosa's leg injury and season-ending surgery, but the president and GM met with Spanish officials last weekend to try for a settlement.

"We're working toward a resolution and I'm hopeful the meetings were received as productive," Colangelo said yesterday.

Garbajosa, who was originally injured in an NBA game March 2007, returned to play for Spain at the European championship last summer only after the federation took out a $1 million insurance policy to protect the Raptors financially if he was re-injured. Garbajosa played only six games with the Raptors before having another operation.

19. automorph

automorph Member

raptors GM already stated "dont even bother, we will match any offer" they want to move ford

20. abc2007

abc2007 Member

They said that because they want more back. If Calderon decides to leave, no one can stop him. He can just sign one year contract with the raptors, and they will lose him for nothing next year.