1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[INTERNET] Overage Fees?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by FlyerFanatic, May 8, 2008.

Tags:
  1. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

2. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

its been talked about for while. woondering when its actually going to be done

over at Verizon. they already started the 5 gig limit per month with 49 cents per MB charge from being unlimiited on our PC cards

3. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

yea read about the testing taking place i think in parts of texas actually with time warner. some of the comments are funny, i dont think people will revert back to dial-up..but lots of people will leave time warner for sure.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I'm sure the Recording Industry is 100% in supporting this.

Rocket River

5. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

How would this affect online gaming? :confused:

6. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

It, my friend.. would.. be.. over.

the apocalypse is near

7. g1184

g1184 Member

This is like charging people for watching too much tv.

8. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Time Warner is the ONLY high speed internet provider in my area. So unless I move I'll be trapped in to their scheme. I'll consider cancelling in protest anyways if they do it.

250 GB monthly limit is semi reasonable. Thats about 2 DVD movies a day downloaded and uploaded with no other web browsing. But there's business people who transfer and send legit media to each other. Would they grant some people exceptions?

9. demon77

demon77 Member

my adsl isp have this $2 per gig over this gay 60gig limit, but i have been over the limit for the last 4-5 year with like avg of 250 gig a month, no charge whatsoever. (they don't really monitor your traffic)

Same with my cable isp, i downloaded 750+ gigs in march, and they have a 100 gig limit, no phone call what so ever.

10. demon77

demon77 Member

but I live in Canada so........maybe stuff is differ in the US?

11. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

demon, wtf are you downloading/uploading that is using that much bandwidth?

12. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

750gigs in one month? that's seriously ridiculous, and if I ran an ISP I would consider charging extra for someone like that too

but then again demon77, from what I remember of some of your posts, you do pirate a lot of stuff right?

Shroopy2, you said that 250gigs is about 2 DVDs/day...as if that's normal or something? who the hell downloads 2 movies a day, lol. not normal people. that's not legit anyway, this is the exact type of person they are trying to limit

as far as online gaming... if yall are asking about like playing stuff like WoW, MMOs, Xbox Live, PSN, etc, that takes hardly any bandwidth at all. you could do that *literally* 24/7 for an entire year and still not have 250gigs of transferred data. that's not the people the ISPs are going after

unless you're a person who downloads illegal movies, MP3s, TV shows, ISOs, etc, you shouldn't have a problem with this. you know if you do or not, lol

13. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

I don't want anyone to get me wrong though, I've downloaded more than my fair share of game ISOs and MP3s in the past (never really movies though, I don't like watching movies in general)

but that was in my high school and college days... ever since I've been out of college and working, not so much. I buy a *lot* of console games now (I own all 3 systems), and I actually buy quite a few CDs from Amazon (I'm a picky audiophile, so I'm not really satisfied with random MP3s off the internet). I don't really PC game as much as before, but when I do it's either a MMO, which you can't pirate anyway, or I buy a game off Steam. the only thing I really pirate nowdays is PSP games, since I have a modded PSP. even then though, I buy the major releases that I know will be great games. just in the past month or two, I've bought FF7 Crisis Core, God of War, and FFT War of the Lions (all badass games I might add)

14. johnmvp

johnmvp Rookie

Good ol' Grande Communications.

15. rocketsbay

rocketsbay Member

You guys should take a trip to europe where these isp crooks limit us from 10GB to 60GB while still paying 30 to 40 euros a month for residential broadband (ADSL, ADSL 2+, Cable...) :mad:

16. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

lawsuit in the works. They advertise unlimited and it damn well better be unlimited.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The issue is . .. 750 Gigs now . . .then 250 gigs .. . then 100 gigs

Once they can start charging overages
    you will find they will start lowering the bar slowly at 1st
    then
    next thing u know .. it will be back to AOL charging you by the hour

Rocket River

18. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

exactly

19. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

all the while refusing to upgrade their services as par the 1996 telcommunications act that gave them 200 billion in tax breaks to upgrade the nation's infrastructure to fiber.

Hit this link and prepare to be pissed off