1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Picking an electricity provider

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by leroy, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

looks like you get 2k miles with AA or continental and 2miles per $ spent on electricity with Gexa as well as them being the cheapest.

2. JD2010

JD2010 Member

Or you can pay your local electrician who works for a company like reliant about $2,000 to mess with your meter to make it go super slow, and then put new grey tags on the meter so it'll look like nothing happened and end up with a monthly bill of like $25

i have a friend who is an electricity pirate
    lol

3. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

No kidding? That's insane.

4. justcallmejoe

justcallmejoe Contributing Member

u can try Spark Energy, i've just signed up their service for 2 yrs fix rate, at $0.1125/kWh... but it's for commercial and not residential, not sure if it make any difference...

5. JD2010

JD2010 Member

no kidding.
    he's showed me his meter.
    The damn thing doesn't move at all.
    He can't really get caught(knock on wood) because on your meter it has these grey tags that says "penalty if removed" and they catch you if you dont have those tags. But the electricity guy has the hook up and put some new ones on there.
    lol

6. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

That's why I'm with Gexa. I get Continental mileage plus cheap rates.

But if you want the Continental mileage, you gotta specifically select the Continental page from their website ...otherwise they won't give it to you if you just sign up and ask for the mileage deal afterwards.

Customer Service? I've never talked to them once in two years. I'm not sure why everybody always brings this up as a knock on Gexa but I hear it everytime.

7. Jeremiah

I don't fly much- how fast do the miles add up?

8. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I've been wanting to change from Stream energy for some time now. They NEVER send me a bill. It's up to me to remember to check their web site. I never get an email from them. It pisses me off because I forget to check sometimes. I've just been too lazy to find a better option.

9. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I went out to Powertochoose.org and it looks like for those that live in the 77379 zip code, YEP is the lowest.

Has anyone tried them?

Their website cracked me up. The banner at the top looks like this.
    [​IMG]

10. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Try Spark Energy.

That's what I use and it's a fixed rate. It's about 13¢/kwh or so.

11. swilkins

That's what I have right now. It looks like they raised their rates.

Mine was a little over 12¢/kwh. Now it's over 14¢/kwh.

Don't they give better deals if you renew?

12. Jeremiah

My contract with First Choice Power is up in two weeks. It's funny that I was b****ing about 13.5 last year, and now that seems like a bargain. Now they want to 'lock me in' at 18.5. :D

I called YEP and they are 14 kwh as of today if you use 1000kw per month. I gave them a call, and I feel really good about them- professional, knowledgeable. I'm going to switch to them next week (so I don't break my First Choice contract).

Everything is going up. Spark is 14.7 as of today. In fact, First Choice told me that the powertochoose.org prices were probably out of date because there was an increase Friday, so you should check the individual websites for a more accurate price.

I don't think it's panicking to get on a fixed rate now. Variable is cheaper month-to-month, but one thing is sure- energy rates aren't going down. In a year, 14/kwh will seem like a bargain.

13. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

I'm not quite sure if they give you better deals if you renew or not. I would think so.

It was my understanding that once you sign up, your rate is fixed. Meaning it won't go up or down.

14. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

http://www.click2houston.com/news/16251234/detail.html

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...alpower_13bus.ART.State.Edition1.463b3e0.html

For anyone looking at fixed price offerings (or any contract for that matter), be sure to read the fine print. If there is a "material change" clause in the contract, suppliers are allowed by the Texas PUC to raise rates if the market conditions change significantly enough. The above story highlights that kind of issue with one of the suppliers here in Houston.

15. h-townfan

h-townfan Contributing Member

I signed up with Spark about a week ago and I got 14.9 fixed. I just saw a billboard for them advertising 15.4 fixed. Prices are going up across the board.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I ended up signing with StarTex for 13.5 fixed for 2 years. Hopefully, it will really stay there.

17. swilkins

Do they have autopay?

18. Jeremiah

Just signed up with Yep for 14.2/kwh for a 12-month fixed rate. I also save a whopping .003/kwh for autopay. I got my boss calling around and they're telling him that they're expecting another rate hike in the next couple of months. I have a gut feeling that the fit is going hit the shan on energy prices soon.

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I think so. I know you can pay online.

20. Jeremiah

I forgot to mention- Yep has a referral program. If you sign up and drop your friend's name, you both get $25. So email me at xerobull @ gmail.com if interested.