1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I finally figure out Doug Collins

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by YallMean, Apr 23, 2008.

Tags:
  1. YallMean

YallMean Member

I used to like him as a commentator when I didnt pay much attention to game commentary. He sounded fluid and has a sweet voice. That was the NBA on NBC days.

Now lately he has been annoying to me and I struggled to figure out why. Today suddenly it hit me.

This guy kisses azz of whoever is leading the game all game long, and that makes him sound always right.

2. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

that's what most color commentators are supposed to do as far as I know. But I know what you mean, I always think of Doug Collins talking about how great the Pistons are or some boring crap like that. THE PISTONS ARE NOT INTERESTING

3. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

After T-Mac makes 4 or 5 drives to the basket with no foul call, then takes a 18 footer for a change of pace:

"McGrady has attempted no foul shots all night, but that happens when you dont drive to the basket."

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He talks way too much and is annoying. Somebody tell him to take a breath and give my ears a break. Doug Collins must love to hear himself talk.

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He is terrible.

6. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I like him. Always have

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

imo, he's even worse than that..

8. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

He's one of the 2 or 3 I enjoy listening to. Collins, Hubie, JVG.

9. mulletman

mulletman Member

the doug collins jinx -- it seems like the rockets lose every time collins is the commentator.

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Doug Collins is bad, a terrible color commentator. Not Clyde or Bill Walton bad, but it's deceptive how little insight he actually has behind his attempt to appear as a basketball savant.

11. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Doug Collins is awesome. He has an immense knowledge of the game for your typical color commentator and isn't really as bad as some of you are saying.

The only problem I have with him is his sometimes yellow hair.

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I like Doug Collins. The coaches are the best commentators. They have lots of knowledge and insight to the game. I remember last game, as the Jazz were bringing up the ball, he said to watch out for a screen for Okur to set him up for a three and thats exactly what happened. Scola gets screened, Okur open for the 3 at the top and swishes it.

13. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

attempt to appear as a basketball savant? He is a freakin' bball savant. He calls more plays 30 seconds before they happen than any other color guy around. He has more insight to x's and o's than everyone on this board combined.......how old are you?

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'll admit he knows his stuff. But the problem is he talks too much when there isn't anything worth saying. For the most part, JVG interjects when he has insight or humor to add. Doug Collins should try that.

15. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Haha, I've always noticed this too only did you notice it's not yellow anymore? Weird.

My only pet peeve with him is how he can relate any topic to how he used to coach "Michael". We could be talking about women's fertility drugs and he could find a way to somehow relate that to "Michael" or say the words "Well, he's a veteran. He can give you that..."

16. Asiya

Asiya Member

...I used to never know if it was Doug Collins or Steve Kerr because they sound just alike to me...is easier now that Kerr doesn't broadcast...

..same for Marv Alpert and Kevin Harlan...

..but I like Collins' stuff mostly...he and Hubie and Van Gundy...

17. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

Yeah Collins/Kerr and Albert/Harlan have very similar voices.

I love listening to Marv Albert and Kevin Harlan, not together because that would be insanity, but next to someone because admit it you like it when they go crazy over any play.

JVG. Hubie Brown. Those two are the best. The reason I like a lot of commentators (I pretty much like every one) is because I don't reaaaaaallly listen to what they say, It's just nice to have their voices in the background while you watch the game. Hubie Brown keeps talking but he explains everything thoroughly. If I didn't know anything about basketball or if I just started watching, I would want to watch Hubie Brown so I could learn something. And Doug Collins too because he knows a lot. But Hubie Brown for sure.

JVG is just pure genius though. So many non-Rockets fans love him, so it's not just the homer ears.

18. YallMean

YallMean Member

Collins is the Derek Fisher or Ginobilli of the commentators. He flip flops so much in a close game you cant even count. This bothers me because I am not sure he is giving insights or just being smart azz. He always find a way to justify his points. Very slick.

I actually like Bill Walton and that tells you how low my standards are.

BTW, I think Hubie flip flops too, but not as much as Doug though. He is just alright to me.

JVG is the best.