1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Offseason 2008: What do the Rockets do?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

IF the Rockets lose this series, I won't be that disappointed. The Rockets should be commended for what they did when Yao Ming -- the anchor of their entire team -- went out. 10 straight wins, 55 wins overall and homecourt advantage for a series in the toughest NBA Conference ever. Just because they played out of their minds doesn't mean the bar should be raised on what they should accomplish in the postseason. Let's face it -- when Yao went down, title hopes were on hold until 2009.

However...

I've always felt this was T-Mac's make-or-break year in Houston, so I was extra frustrated when Yao went down. There was a built-in excuse for playoff failure, and justifiably so, but just the same this is Year 4 of T-Mac and the standstill cast offense and you could argue that we're not any farther along than we were in 2004-05.

So I've been asking this since Yao went down in February: What conclusions can Daryl Morey and company possibly draw from this season? Does he say, "We were really clicking before Yao went down ..." and give the team a "free pass" because of injuries? If so, I assume he tweaks the roster, best case scenario making a Sixth Man-type addition like Mike Miller and we're off to training camp.

If not, then we're talking about a starter being traded or benched, and you can likely narrow that down to three guys as possibilities.

Adelman's offense seemed to be at it's best when Rafer took the lead when T-Mac went down to injury. Slowly but surely (atleast it seemed to me), T-Mac took it back (Rafer averaged 3.6 assists in the last 17 games). I don't know if that's what Adelman wants or what T-Mac wants, but it's my opinion that under that style, Rafer should be out as starting PG come hell or high water.

Rafer, T-Mac and Battier. This team can not win a title with two offensive options that are so inefficient and inconsistent with their shooting and take such a high volume of shots, coupled with a guy who is just a spot-up shooter (albeit a good one). The Jazz have 6 guys in their rotation shooting 50 % or better (that doesn't include Kyle Korver or Mehmet Okur), and they're not even the best the West has to offer. T-Mac and Rafer in the final 20 games or so were shooting nearly half of the Rockets shots at a mid-30% clip. That just doesn't work.

This question seemed silly before -- T-Mac was an obvious lock to stay being the superstar talent. Battier was too good defensively. Rafer, a poor shooter with no irreplaceable skills really, was always the one to go in my mind.

Now though, I'm not so sure. I've never been a 'Trade T-Mac' guy and I'm not sure I am now either. I still believe this team is screaming for a point guard, but after watching the offense turn to dust again I can't help but wonder if there is something fundamentally wrong with the starters.

More than likely these guys get another season -- the contracts suggest it as Rafer and T-Mac are both expiring in 2010. Just the same, I don't know if I envy Morey this offseason. I think some tough questions are going to have to be asked.

2. Will-Pac

Will-Pac Member

point guard with handles
    taller big man backups

probably a somewhat bust-it-up trade coming

3. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Keep:

Yao
    Scola
    Battier
    Landry
    Mutombo (if he can be talked into returning)
    Brooks
    Francis
    Hayes

Shop everyone else.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We need a big physical PG.

5. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

Chicago might still be interested and they have enough young talent and salary.
    If some decent offer comes up, Morey would probably pull the trigger.

6. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

Hire a better medic staff. or move to Phoenix where player like Oneal and Hill can stay healthy or players like Amare can come strong from big injuries. And player like Nash can be great with back problems.

BTW. I thing a bigger swing man that can shoot 3 and penetrate, to back up T-mac or battier. Head sorry but we are to undersizes in the back court.

The rest is just health and experience, a healthy Yao, a healthy Landry and Rafer, with the better experience for the rockets will be good enough. We everybody healthy we are as deep as any team in the NBA.

But I thing the rockets will still win the series. I believe.

7. oschadha

oschadha Contributing Member

Do nothing except add a tall PURE shooter who has a well rounded game and hope for no injuries. No time to panic. Trading TMAC will set this franchise back another 3 to 4 yrs. You are not going to get equal talent. Just stay the course.

1st year with TMAC & YAO - Yao was still developing, we had strickland, bowen, spoon, injuries galore (Jhoward and Sura).

2nd Yr - Injuries

3rd Yr - should have won the Utah series. Had no shooters. Bricks by Head, Battier, Alston.

4th Yr - injuries and no shooters.

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Let's hope the Wizards lose and run Arenas and his bad knee out of town. Then maybe, on our luckiest day, we could potentially persuade Arenas to sign for the MLE.

PG: Arenas/Brooks/Alston
    SG McGrady/Jackson/Francis

Alston the odd-man-out yet again. Sort of discredits what he's done but I don't think any reasonable Rockets fan would be heartbroken if we dealt him. Same with Francis and B Jax given their expiring contract value.

9. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

Agent Zero? MLE?
    Those two dont belong to the sentence, unless you put a "no" in between.

10. krockets

krockets Member

Trade brooks, 1st round pick, expiring contract for a legit PG like D Harris.

Trade Luther, expiring contracts, and 2nd round picks for Mike Miller.

Need a athletic big who is 7'+ and can play 4/5 for 15-20 minutes in a consistent basis.

11. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Well it's still early but the point guard situation needs to be addressed, Big time!!
    Rafer has been a revelation this past year but IMO he's not the one to run the offense. The west is loaded with star point guards who score and dish and run havoc on other teams. Rafer isn't quite there yet and he's not getting any younger.

I think a consistent, scoring PG can alleviate a lot of the double teams and break down defenses that help T Mac get his open shot and help Yao from being mobbed down low.

It used to be the 4 spot was our big problem and I think we have that problem fixed, but the PG situation isn't getting any better and needs to be the number one priority for the organization.

12. rdsgonzo13

rdsgonzo13 Contributing Member

Nothing has changed.

Rafer is still the guy that needs to be upgraded.

TMac cant be traded anyway with his contract (he doesnt expire till 2 years) and injury issues, so it's a moot point.

The roleplayers like Scola and Landry have to take the next step next year for the Rockets to.

The goal should still be to upgrade PG. They tried and failed with Francis and James. Bobby Jax is washed up and the most tradeable commodity. Rafer had a great 2 month run, but it was probably the high point of his career.

They could also really use a scorer/slasher at the 2/3 to backup TMac. And of course if Deke retires, a backup C may well be the #1 priority given Yao's situation.

I agree with you. Tough decisions ahead for Morey (although I dont think trading Tmac is one of them or Battier) and lots of different ways he could go.

13. astros148

astros148 Member

why would any1 need our garbage players? rofl keep all the good ppl but trade every1 else? who else do you have to trade?

alston, lead? lol to get good ppl in return you gotta trade good ppl. You cant trade garbage for talent

14. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I'd say keep the McGrady/Yao thing going until next midseason then promptly trade McGrady if there's another poor start. But Rockets would probably get better worth back if they traded him during the offseason.

I think we will not see Luther Head on the team next year....

Hard to see what we'd get back for Rafer. Hoping he has a huuuuge playoff performance to boost his stock. But he'll be a 33 year old point guard next season, not sure what team you could fool.

Rafer would have to be packaged with someone (Battier maybe?)

Or do the Rockets trade any of their young assets like Scola, Brooks and Landry for an established player? Gonna be a VERY interesting offseason. My bet would be McGrady's performance takes a noticeable dip next season and to sell high.

15. tracymcgrady001

Sell the team and move to another city! :cool:

16. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

I don't like McGrady either, but I wouldn't call him garbage.

17. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Unlikely, I know. But, did you watch the Wizards @ Cavs game today? Arenas was arguably the reason they lost. Everything from his horrible shot selection to poor decision making to dreadful defense.

Maybe, just maybe he opts out for a fresh start? I'm reaching here, I know but crazier things have happened.

18. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I would love to see what McGrady can do when teams can't just defensively gang up on him. His passing skills and ability to create his own shot are great assets to have.

What the Rockets need is a legit PG. But since those are hard to find, I'll go for a scorer off the bench, not a shooter.

You need someone to spell McGrady when he sits. Everyone says the Rockets need a 3rd scorer. That 3rd scorer should come off the bench to keep the opposing defense on their heels, especially if the 3rd scorer off the bench will be playing against the other teams B-squad. This is much like the Spurs' blueprint for Ginobili.

Backup center should be next on the priority list.

And please, no more undersized tweeners.

1) Point Guard that plays like Calderon.
    2) 3rd scorer off the bench.
    3) Versatile backup Center.

19. bbjai

bbjai Member

why would you keep Francis?
    his next to useless and if you keep believing his not then your deluded.

20. astros148

astros148 Member

why would any1 else want francis? hes hardly making anything and hes washed up

matter of fact is hes making superstar money and hes not performing like one on a regular basis. No team wants that contract