1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Place to Buy HDTV: In-Store or Online

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lil Pun, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

As some of you know, I recently purchased a Playstation 3. Now that I have gotten that out of the way, my next purchase is going to be some sort of HDTV.
    I'm not sure if I want to get plasma, LCD, or DLP but I know I would like to get the best deal possible while also getting good quality. I am not sure how much I want to spend just yet, I know I would like something 50 inches or bigger but that size may be decreased if the right deal is found. So my question is, where can I find the best quality for the best deal? Is this usually found in-stores or online? If you have some online suggestions, please let me know which websites. Thanks!

2. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

get an LCD, I saw some nice ones for a good price at Sams. Don't go to Conns cuz they blow.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

4. demon77

demon77 Member

In store period.

I would go to futureshop here in canada since they will guarantee the lowest price for 30 days. When we first borught our HDTV, a few days later it drop to 1500 buck, and they give us back the difference of 500 buck instantly (when we ask them), then the very next day the price went back up to 2000 buck (but we keep the 500 profit :) ). The great things is that store like futureshop will match anyprice (including online too?), and they don't ask you all sort of bs on why you want to return your product.

And you can compare the video quality on differ TV, and with differ cable too.

5. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

In January I purchased a 58' 1080p Samsung Plasma TV and to this day it has the best picture I have ever seen. I bought it online from bestbuypcs.com for about $3400 shipped, I called best buy about the same TV and it was $3999 in store. I got a great deal.

6. lalala902102001

Buy online and pick up in store.

7. Lil Pun

8. Lonestar28

Lonestar28 Member

What is the model number on your tv? I've been considering a Samsung plasma. Any concerns about burn in?

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

pun,
    you've gone backwards. you buy the tv first, then then the game system!

anyways. if you want something bigger than 50, get a DLP. its the better deal at that price. if you prefer a flat panel, plasma is the better bargain for over 50.

Online, unless there's an incredible deal you find at a store.

10. Lil Pun

Well the deal for the game system came up first and I was allowed to make payments on it so that helped spur that decision. Any websites you suggest?

11. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

definately online. people think if you buy it from the store, and it messes up that you can take it back to the store....thats not true at all. the miight give you 30 days. if you buy it from a store, but it from Costco. they'll give you 3 months to bring it back.

i bought a new sony kds a3000 as soon as it came out off amazon.com for 1800 flat. the same tv at frys, cc or best buy was 2400 with tax.

always get the extended warranty too. that's helped me out so much in the past....after all it is fairly new technology.

12. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

I just bought a new plasma yesterday from Abes of Maine online.. I saved a few hundred dollars over any store around town even with their store discount coupons and as of yesterday even a few hundred less than Amazon..I also saved the tax and got a free wall mount and shipping..

The only down falls with ordering online is the wait to get the TV, mine is going to be 8 days from ordering to delivery and the return process if I wasn't happy with it.. If you do go the online route, make sure you study the product and view it at a store a few times to make sure you'll be happy with it..

Also, if you buy a really large DLP understand that most places do a "threshold" delivery meaning they wont bring the TV in the home or up any stairs.. Crutchfield and Amazon have a "white glove" type of delivery where they will bring it inside, but they are almost always on the high end of the online pricing so if you don't mind paying for the service it's worth it..

#12 Davidoff, Apr 17, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  13. surrender

surrender Member

I bought one from Best Buy a couple of months ago... Conn's had the lowest price in their sunday ad and they matched it.

Hint: Pay with a credit card that doubles your warranty - AMEX and Platinum MasterCards usually have this feature. My dad's camera died about a month out of warranty, but since he paid with an AMEX card, he sent it to them and they gave him a full refund on his next statement.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

got my tv from onecall.com . I also suggest tigerdirect.com .

15. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

Your next purchase should be COD 4.

16. Lil Pun

I really bought the system to get it out of the way. I should have the TV within a month or so hopefully.

17. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-FPT5884-58-inch-1080p-Plasma/dp/B000UO7OZK/ref=tag_tdp_sv_edpp_pop_t

This is the TV I have. And it looks like the price has dropped a little since I bought it. I have noticed NO burn-in. I take care of my tv though, on regular channels I stretch the screen so there are no black bars on either side. I don't leave a movie or game paused for a couple hours, and things like that. I watch a lot of tv and have never even seen a little burn-in so don't worry about that aspect.

18. Lil Pun

What is this "burn-in" you guys are talking about?

19. Lonestar28

Lonestar28 Member

Nice TV. That's the one I am interested in. The newer model is out but I don't notice much of a difference in the picture quality.

I think I'm going to pull the tigger this weekend and finally buy one.

20. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

forgot to mention that if you buy it online, make sure the store is a certified dealer of the brand you're buying. you'll be able to find dealers from their official websites.