1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wristwatch Brands

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ubiquitin, Apr 15, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So the band on my old watch's band snapped and fell to the ground. The watch became ruined, and I am now in the market for a new watch.

I need a professional watch rather than a stylish one, because I am applying to medical school this June and I will want to wear it to my interviews. I used to wear a Fossil watch, but I am open to other brands.

(I am not in the market for a Rolex or an Omega)

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I have two. A Citizen Eco-Drive that I have had for 12 years and has been very good to me. I bought a Nautica watch about 7 months ago and I like it too.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Seiko is always a nice mix of quality and price -- overstock, amazon, etc. will always have some sort of deal.

5. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Look online and see if there is a Fossil outlet anywhere in your area. It makes me sick how cheap their watches are at the outlet stores as compared to Dillard's. In my experience, Fossil outlets aren't like most outlet stores, they actually carry all of the items you'd see at the normal stores. I know Fossil watches aren't the best, but I love them for some reason. It's probably a good thing I don't live close to any of their stores or I'd be broke and have a hundred watches to my name.

6. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

Ha! I just went through this process and found out there are a TON of great watches and watch brands that most people have never heard of. A good brand with recognition that won't set you back too much as far as "nice" watches go (i.e. $1,000) is Tag Heuer. This is probably a good watch if you want name recognition for a "reasonable" price. Another brand in a similar price range as Tag Heuer is Omega

What is your budget? If you need something relatively inexpensive look at Seiko . They make good watches in a million different styles and the Grand Seiko movement is respected.

If you have a little more money to spend you can look at:
    Tissot watches. They are Swiss Made.

Invicta
    I believe these are Swiss as well.

For a little more there is:
    Sinn
    German made watches which are apparently very popular with Jet Pilots.

Stowa
    German made

Oris
    Purely mechanical Swiss watches

I ended up with an Oris as I wanted a Swiss Made Automatic watch from a brand that was less well known.

[​IMG]

7. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Omega's are more expensive than Tags. My Omega Seamaster cost over three grand.

8. Lil

Lil Contributing Member

Alternatively, try to pick up one of these in a pawn shop?

Vacheron Constantin
    Audemars Piquet
    Piaget
    Patek Philippe
    Girard-Perregaux
    IWC
    Chopard

http://www.forbes.com/2004/12/01/cx_ns_1201feat.html

9. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

Your Seamaster is probably an Automatic. I was quoted about $1500 for a quartz Seamaster at Bailey, Banks and Biddle in the Galleria. This was after a 15% discount. Here is an example at Amazon

Also, while you can get a Tag for $1,000 they do go WAY up in price from there! I'm sure, Like Tags, Omega's are all over the place with regard to price.

10. Win

Win Contributing Member

[​IMG]

$210 at princetonwatches.com

I bought this watch last year at Macys for $225 and have never regretted it. The watch really stands out and has the added convenience of being an automatic with a backup power supply if you don't wear it every day.

11. Asian Sensation

Kenneth Cole: Professional, stylish and affordable. I have 4 of them
    [​IMG]

12. KingCheetah

Most people have never heard of Tag Heuer and Omega - two of the most famous watches made? Since he said he likes Fossils thousand dollar plus watches probably aren't what he is looking for right now.

:)

13. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Buy an automatic/mechanical watch with gears and such inside, if it has a see through back the better. They keep time less accurate but are more classy then quartz. You have your cell if you want the time.

Citizen Eco-Drive and Seiko Kinetic watches are not auto/mechanical, they rely on batteries still...Eco uses solar to power the battery, Kinetics uses your wrist movement to charge the battery.

Omega/Tags are in that same category of high end Swiss watches, like Rolex and Breitling. They have quartz watches, but if your going to spend that much on a watch, might as well get an automatic.

A good Swiss made automatic stainless steel watch with brushed and polished look can be professional and stylish at the same time. I'd go for that Invicta line, they have automatics for under a grand.

I forgot to mention, there are replica watches for the high end brands and there are some that are made pretty well, close to the real thing. You can get them as cheap as $150 for getting something that costs thousands for the real thing.

14. KingCheetah

Automatics are such a pain in the ass if you don't have a winding box -- take them off for a couple days to wear something else and you've got to do the whole wind, reset time, date, etc.

15. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Those winding boxes actually wear out your automatics faster, I wouldn't get them. Like I said, if I want the time I'll look at my cell.

Watches are more statement pieces and accessorize a look these days. From sporty to dress watches, it can complete your look. Plus you get to have the feeling of a finely tuned sophisticated machine on your wrist (that happens to have the wrong time :D ).

This Invicta watch (style 9937) is Swiss made with a see through back, looks very classy yet can be professional also. Looks like an Omega actually.
    [​IMG]

#15 v3.0, Apr 15, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

ive got a tag. picked them for no other reason really then i liked there name.

:)

17. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

got a couple hundred to spend? go with a tissot or swiss army. atleast they're swiss made. and stay away from the automatics. quartz movements are the way to go.

18. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

Word. I have one as well. I wear my Movado or Coach watch on nicer days and one of my Kenneth Coles or my UT Nike one on other days.

19. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

Only for ***'s
    [​IMG]

20. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

that's right b****es, i'm selling one similar to this on thursday.

10 grand little man, put that **** in my hand!

[​IMG]