1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who will be the X-Factor come playoff time?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YugoRocketsFan, Apr 9, 2008.

1. YugoRocketsFan

We all know T-Mac will do his job, but who will be the X-Factor? Only 2 candidates I can think about are Rafer and Scola, if they both play well we can get to the 2nd round.

2. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

3pt shooting. if we make 35-38%, we will be tough to beat.

along with scola and landry controlling the paint

3. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

Landry is the x-factor. just look at how we've struggled with him being less than 100%

4. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

I think our success will always depend on our point guard play...

...If Rafer and Bobby (maybe Brooks) can do a decent job, I like our chances.

5. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

we are going to need to make 60% of our 3's if we have any chance of passing the first round.

6. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i assume you're not going to watch this year's playoffs?

7. abc2007

abc2007 Member

opponent's injury! :p

8. apocclass

apocclass Member

opponent completely dropping the ball and choking....

9. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I don't think we can depend on that. Before the Utah series last season I would have told you we can pencil Tmac in for some huge numbers and a dominating performance because that is what he always brought to the playoffs. During that series against Utah last season I saw a guy who dragged a team to a game 7 and collapsed in the clutch. In years past he picked up and carried far less talented teams and although he didn't get over the hump you couldn't blame it on him. He looked as skilled and smart as ever but he also looked old, slow and uninspired in the first round last year. I'm not sure he is really that concerned about his legacy anymore but that is for another thread.

I expect Landry and Scola to be the X factors. I fully expect Rafer and Head to throw up enough bricks to build a house. I think Shane will be Shane and Chuck will be Chuck. We can pencil both of those guys in for the exact same numbers they put up in the regular season. Strangely, I think Bobby Jackson is going to come off the bench and win one game for us almost single handedly but look like crap the rest of the time. Of course, this team needs to continue to be an elite defensive team.

My bottom line to get out of the first round:

Tmac better be Tmac
    Scola and Landry need to combine to outplay the elite PFs in the West
    One role player each night needs to drop around 20 out of the blue
    The defense better look like Van Gundy is screaming from the sidelines
    70%+ free throw shooting as a team

10. Nitro1118

Nitro1118 Member

Dragged a team to a game 7? Yep, he really "dragged: them in games 1, 2 and 5 when they force-fed Yao to start the game which put us in a halftime hole each game, which forced him to totally dominate those 2nd halves for the team to win. He did the same thing in game 7...they were down by 16 when he took over and put the team up by 5. He did NOT collapse in the clutch...Yao was on fire that quarter, and in the final 5 minutes the team went 4-5, 3-3 from the FT line. What lost the game was defensive rebounding and defense, not T-Mac choking or dragging the team along.

11. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Luther Head!

He needs to come in night in and night out shooting extremely well. It is real simple, since there is no dual-star tandem to demand a double team, we need our role players to earn their keep. If he wasn't MIA last yr, the media might respect T-Mac.

Luther must not dribble, except to drive to the hoop. He must shoot and shoot well. And last but not least, he MUST play aggressive.

There are some nights (such as tonight) where he steps up and plays brilliantly, you can't have his off-nights in a series against PHX or the lakers or Utah. Without him its just not happening guys.

12. seaweed

seaweed Member

Novak with his capability of shooting 3s. I'm not saying this because of what happened in today's game. I have been talking about this with my friends for weeks.

13. Jimes

Jimes Member

Let's see, x-factor can be defined as something which is difficult to predict but will play a key role in determining the outcome. I think Shane, Luis, Chuck, and Deke are pretty consistent and we know what to expect since they give it their all every night.

I think T-mac will shoot his share of long jumpers but he seems to be getting less afraid of driving so that will increase his consistent production.

Pretty clearly Rafer/BJ/AB IMO. If they shoot near 40% on 3's, we're in good shape.

14. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Scola is our X-factor. He can get away with more fouls during the playoffs. He's a very physical player that gets into foul trouble easily.

15. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Good call. Those missed jumpers in the 4th were a much better option than going to the rim and getting a bucket or a trip to the line. Of course, when you are 28 and 6'8" it is only natural that you can't get your offensive game going when a 6'2", old PG is guarding you much of the time. What was his shooting % for the series again?

But I guess you missed they part where he said he was too tired.

16. Prometheus

Prometheus Member

Steve Novak

17. pchan

pchan Member

It's Rafer Alston, stupid.

18. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Our team is so unpredictable u cant just pinpoint somebody to be an xfactor........Scola will have bad games but landry will dominate....Rafer will suck but BJ will pick up peices...and Brooks..........

We will all be surprized to see who the xfactor will be.........I could be anybody

~ROX~

19. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

The home CROWD.

Get Red! Get Rowdy! :mad: :mad: :mad:

:D

20. tracymcgrady001

Rafer freaking Alston and the Bench