1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2 Dead as Protests Break out in Tibet

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Mar 14, 2008.

1. yeo

yeo Member

You know what? The reality is that very few of them actually give a damn about Tibet or the Tibetans. The western liberal's eternal concern is feeling good about themselves.

The left really don't share much in terms of values and belief system with the Tibetans. Rather they have a shared cosmology in a romanticized rebellion against the establishment. This combined with the transference of White guilt of colonial exploitation onto a third party they can bash is the reptilian brains behind the left wing China bashing.

These free-Tibet hippies are obviously out to stoke their own egos in the sense that they "stood up to da man" by shaking their little pink fists at the big bad Chinese. In reality, there will be hell to pay in Tibet when the olympics are over and the world's eyes will have turned to something else. Those Tibetans that participated in the riots are numerous and justice will be meted out long after the last foreign tourist has left Beijing. If those Tibet independance hippies really cared about what happens to the Tibetans they'd think twice before attacking some torch-bearer in a wheelchair. All they've succeeded in doing is creating hatred in the average Chinese person and hardening the government's attitude towards their "homeland."

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Probably those are some of the reasons they are protesting along with the fact that they don't like seeing innocent tibetan protesters beaten and shot.

3. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

The East smells funny.

4. yeo

yeo Member

A new hero is born everyday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. yeo

yeo Member

LOL, you are still going on with that "innocent protestor" crap? Ahh, the power of propaganda. Tell you what, why don't you tell me where you live, and I will come burn your house down, preferably with you and your family inside, as a form of "peaceful protest".

6. langal

langal Contributing Member

There is some truth in what you say. Many of the same hippies would probably scream for the head of some white Christian dictator.

7. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Your piece of crap country won't even show what is going on. (or they probably said that the Dalai Lama was directing it from top of the Eiffel Tower). THAT is propaganda.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

^ yes but we would be perfectly content to be ruled from Beijing by an unaccountable authoritarian dictatorship. Or not.

Looks like a lot of you guys agree - which is one of many reasons why you are here and not there.

9. langal

I was born in the US and have as much right or reason to be here as you or any "real" American.

I do love this country. Just because I think there are 2 sides to the Tibet issue does not mean that I should move to China.

10. underoverup

underoverup Member

why is she standing in the last picture? :confused:

11. SamFisher

Nobody said you should move to China - but a lot of Chinese Americans for one reason or another obviously have some kind of problem with the Chinese government's unaccountable authoritarian ways (much like Tibetans and many Americans) - which is one of the reasons why they came here to begin with.

Now, many will differ and say, no, they or their families. emigrated for economic reasons. To that I say that it's no coincidence that a mature (though imperfect) democracy with accountability, rule of law, etc has created a more desirable economic atmosphere than a heavy handed authoritarian one-party dictatorship.

12. yeo

yeo Member

Oh, au contraire, the Commies are having a field day showing exactly what's going on. These events are uniting the Chinese worldwide like nothing since World War II. You think the Chinese are going to watch a crippled girl getting beat up and think "oh those poor Tibetans"?

13. yeo

yeo Member

Hopefully the SFPD is gonna do a better job than the incompetent French.

14. langal

Agree with you on the first point but not on the second. I think rule of law promotes economy but not necessarily democracy.

I carried a poster outside the Chinese Embassy during Tian An Men. The PRC does have its problems and I used to be very anti-PRC when I was younger.

Since then, I've actually been back to China and talked to more nationals. Now I realize that there are 2 sides to every "China" issue. The people there are getting more materially wealthy and are getting more freedoms.

The PRC still has a lot of problems and I do think they definitely need a public relations consultant.

15. yeo

yeo Member

Uhm, she does have one leg.

16. SamFisher

I don't know about "promotes" but it's impossible to have a truly democratic government without a reasonable amount of rule of law translating directly into accountability.

Obviously in every democratic regime the haves and the lawmakers are able to bend rule of law in their favor to an extent....but ultimately, if there is a functional, independent mean of holding them accountable (elections, law enforcement) etc - it will generally happen at some point (see e.g. the Republican congress getting voted out in 2006, or the prosecutions of the Enron crooks).

17. langal

Doesn't the Mandate of Heaven trump any human laws?

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't say all were peaceful, but we've seen the video of peaceful protestors being shot. We've seen the stories about monks being beaten for painting a building white.

That stuff isn't propaganda.

19. foofy

foofy Rookie

F...U...C...K that tibetan

kok.foo.yap@exactsoftware.com

20. stq

stq Member

see? this is exactly the type of brainwash I was talking about.

current chinese government is communist, they dont' have true democracy, ===>> thus, everything they do, everything they say must be wrong

linear way of thinking, unable to understand complicated issues....should I call this intellectually challenged? :rolleyes: