1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Favorite Guitarists Ever

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I noticed that Vernon Reid hadn't been mentioned.

I figured that would piss you off, chievous.

He is a great one and I overlooked him.

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

How about the best blues guitar player you've never heard of?

Jack Semple. This guy is from a small Canadian prairie city, and he likes it there, so he doesn't leave. He's played Montreux and played in some big touring bands, but he doesn't like touring and he doesn't want to move to a bigger centre. He gigs around Western Canada a bit but for the most part he just stays at home and does whatever he does.

http://www.recordedlive.com/semple01.html

4. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lynus,

You gave probably the best defense for Randy Rhodes that I've ever read (and basically in just a few sentences - extra brownie points for that). While my opinion on his guitar tone remains the same, I have to admit that your observation that Rhodes was the perfect foil for Ozzy is right on the money.

That actually ties me to my dislike of some of the other players. I have always preferred musicians who play to the music, not make the music play to them. Yet when I hear EVH and Eric Johnson, it sounds like they aren't even listening to the band. Both have chops to burn, but what good is it if you're always using them in the wrong place. IMHO, nothing sounds lamer than a guy playing 64th notes over a lazy blues groove (which is exactly what I saw Johnson do last time he was on Austin City Limits). What kind of vibe is that supposed to convey? If he's trying to bring up the energy, why is the rest of the band holding back so much? And why does EVH always need a new, herky-jerky section in the middle of a song to solo over? Is it (as his brother has hinted) because he can't play in time very well? It comes off that way to me. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm more into musicians who show an ability to play to the song.

I still maintain that SRV never showed any real originality to his playing. Even once he was sober, he falls back on standard, pentatonic licks. Nothing wrong with that, and that doesn't make him a bad guitarist. I just don't think he belongs in the same echelon as more innovative players like Charlie Christian or Jimi.

5. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

I got to see Vernon with Jack Bruce at a club a few months ago, solid stuff...

6. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

My Favorites:

George Lynch
    Eddie Van Halen
    SRV
    Satriani
    Vai
    Randy Rhoads
    B.B King

7. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

subtomic.....I think you'll spend an eternity burning in hell for your comments about Stevie, but hey....just like with you....that's only one man's opinion.

...or maybe it's my prayer.

......nooo....I'm sure it's just an opinion.

8. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

The Edge is pretty good.

9. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

I grew up in a very conservative environment and was influenced by late 1960's pop culture. I was maybe 10 or 11 years old when the "Glen Campbell show" was on CBS, and I have very fond memories of watching Glen Campbell, Jerry Reed (yes this fool can play), Roy Clark, John Hartford (recently deceased), and Chet Atkins. My dad and a neighbor kid would watch and then play our brains out-free style jam sessions based loosely on things we picked up watching the show. My dad played a Gibson 335-cherry red-still mint- my brother has it and does not even play. I played a Martin flat top and still have it.

You guys have to remember this was before cable TV.

My favorites:

Jimi Hendrix
    Roy Buchanan
    Django
    Jimmy Page
    Chet Atkins

10. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Yes, the Edge is cool. Even if he can;t do many of things others can in this thread his playing has always worked great in leading U2s sound.

Also, another guy I like but had not thought of, in a while, Tom Schulz, is one of my favorites. Not legendary, but innovative.

11. stringthing

stringthing Member

Allan Holdsworth
    Shawn Lane
    Micheal Landau
    Dann Huff
    Yngwie Malmsteen (love him or hate him ya GOT to list him)
    Eric Johnson
    SRV
    Scott Henderson
    Micheal Hedges
    Lenny Breau
    Danny Gatton
    Brent Mason

and a couple local faves

Paul Chester
    John Ziegler (I think he is in LA now)

to name a few.....

12. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

stringthing,

how do you know Paul?

I don't know him personally, but he's been a major influence in my roommate's career and guitar-playing. my roommate is moving to new york next summer; he's going to begin studying jazz guitar with the director of the NYU jazz program. Paul Chester was my roommate's first guitar teacher and has remained a mentor to him for almost 10 years now. without knowing him personally, I couldn't have a much higher opinion of the guy. my roommate will be completely geeked when I tell him that someone listed Paul Chester as one of their favorite guitarists.

anyway, it completely blew my mind to see someone I "know" listed. how do you know Paul?

13. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I don't think that I have seen these names mentioned, so I figured that I would mention them:

"Fast" Eddie Clarke
    Dimebag Darrell
    Billy Corgan (just for Siamese Dream, alone)
    Dean DeLeo

14. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Thanks TBar for mentioning Roy. I was beginning to think I had really lost it when his name was never mentioned. Maybe it's an age thing...

I truely miss his style.

RR

15. stringthing

stringthing Member

Thats great to hear. I took lessons from Paul for about a year at the H & H in Sugarland. I was refered by my other long term teacher John Ziegler (who was also in the list!). Paul is without a doubt one of the most amazing guitarists around. Great player and greater human being.

16. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I like Eric Johnson.

17. chievous minniefield

stringthing,

my roommate took lessons from Paul back in the early '90s at that same H & H. it would've been somewhere between '91 and '95, maybe even that whole time. I don't know exactly how long he took lessons from him. I know my roommate still visits him when he goes back to Houston and has seen Paul play in shows, both with his jazz-fusion band and in pit orchestras like with Jesus Christ Superstar.

depending on how old you are and where exactly you grew up, we may know each other, or you may know my roommate. who knows?

18. stringthing

stringthing Member

I can't say that I knew very many of the other cats that took lessons from Paul. I was only with him for about a year (maybe slighlty less). I usually went in and out. Does your roomie ever gig around town? Is he a straight-ahead player now? I used to check out Paul with Stratus at the Ale House (the place on Alabama).

19. chievous minniefield

stringthing,

sorry it took me so long to reply to your last response. . .

my roommate studied with paul between 1991-1995.

my roommate does regularly gig around town, but the town is dallas.

I wouldn't say he's a straight-ahead player. he divides most of his guitar-playing time between ho'ing for cash with crappy cover bands around town and prepping himself for serious jazz study in new york. when he's playing with the cover bands, he does the straight-ahead, pentatonic blues wank thing. when he's prepping for jazz, I'd say he plays pretty straight-ahead jazz, whatever you take that to mean. he's definitely trying to learn the jazz fundamentals before he hauls off and becomes vernon reid.

what kind of guitar-playing do you do these days?

20. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Some of you might find this ridiculous, but ...

Peter Buck of REM

Yes, his style is often a knock-off of Roger McGuinn, but dozens of bands copied Buck during the 80s. He's a great guitarist.

If you don't believe me, listen to the power of "Begin the Begin" or the beauty of "Flowers of Guatemala."

Not that I rank him ahead of SRV or Jimi, mind you ... just that those guys have already been mentioned.