1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Articles from "The Onion" regarding basketball

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by IROC it, Mar 31, 2008.

1. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

It seems our neighbors from other parts of the globe do not understand satire, however slightly funny and horrible it really is.

Can we please not allow any link to "The Onion's" website a la the poopsworld link star-outs? (like **********.com or whatever?)

I'm afraid the translation, or lack thereof, may land Clutchfans in the middle of some extremely misguided international incident.

Not to suggest... but I'll suggest anyway... total thread deletion of this one...

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=145792

It's gotten to be very politically charged, and it looks like some are signing up just to throw mud and try and start arguments about the USA's rights to land vs. China's right to govern, etc.

Too much even for D&D, IMO.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

poopsworld is a tabloid site with half-baked stuff masquerading as facts.

Onion is a satire site. Everyone knows they are not "reporting" any real news.

It's like the difference between NBA refs and pro-wrestling refs. :D

3. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Negative. Chinese ignorance should not control clutchfans.

4. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

Exactly what I was going to say.

5. yobod

yobod Member

Never. If people in China want to register and join this American BBS, then it is their responsibility to understand the ways of this board. If they don't understand the humor (or lack thereof sometimes), it's not ok to take it completely personally and attack the members or general population of this board. It's up to them to try and learn the customs and acclimate themselves to the board. What makes this board specifically so interesting is the fact that Houston is such an international team that we have fans from all over the world.....but that doesn't mean that we should cater to all of the different cultures. This is an American-based website, and therefore, it should follow American standards.

I'm not saying that it's ok for US as American members to disrespect all the other cultures on here....I'm just saying that since it's all online, there should be ONE standard for the way things are done...period. Race, ethnicity, religion and anything else should make absolutely no difference. If you don't find something funny, then you have that right. But don't take things personally.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I just want Sina to plagarize Onion articles and post it as a league source.

7. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

I just think it may be prudent to avoid having the site quotable or linkable in the GARM.

Put it in the Hangout... it's not real news anyway.. That's all.

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think most of the Chinese posters get it is satire but they don't like the satire and feel it is racially motivated.

9. RocketsDream

RocketsDream Rookie

You have it backward. Read rocketsjudoka's post above.

Many of the Chinese posters have said they know the 'news' is satire and fake. But they do not like the sarcasm.

Chinese poster A: I know it's a satire but I don't like the racially motivated tone behind it.

MR. MEOWGI: It's not real!!!!!! It's called satire and just for humor. YOU ARE IGNORANT!!!

Chinese poster B: Hey, I know it's just a fake news and I know it's a satire. But still I think it's a very poor taste of humor.

MR. MEOWGI: YOU IGNORANT PEOPLE!!!!! LET ME SAY THIS TO YOU AGAIN. IT'S HALF-BAKED STUFF AND IT...IS...NOT...REAL!!!!!!

Chinese poster C: How many times do I need to tell you? I know it's satire and I know it's not real but still I am offended by it.

MR. MEOWGI: You people will never get it. You people will never understand it's just a satire which is not real. I am done with you guys.

Look like the Chinese posters there are sensitive and MR. MEOWGI is the one who is ignorant.

10. MR. MEOWGI

I said all of that?

How about we just laugh at Onion articles like we have for 10 years?

Poor, poor Chinese posters. So misunderstood and offended. :(

11. RocketsDream

RocketsDream Rookie

Sorry if you are offended by my post. It's just a satire and it is also called sarcasm.

12. MR. MEOWGI

You should try puppets. Puppets are funny.

13. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

Dude, all you want to do is divide. I don't understand why you come in these threads just to look for racially motivated posts. Man, you are doing nothing but dividing. You have an agenda. :rolleyes:

Oh, look. You called someone ignorant again . . . what a surprise!

14. RocketsDream

RocketsDream Rookie

Woo, I have an agenda to spot fools like you who came here with an agenda to divide. Too bad you can NEVER hide from your past posts. You would jump on anyone who do not write in fluent English and use it as a reason to discredit their opinion, while you yourself cannot even spell. Can you see how lame yourself is now? No one gives a freaking flying ass to what you said now. People here know how to judge a fool like you by reading your past posts. Once again, you can NEVER hide from what you have said in the past. Face it.

15. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

How can you read my past posts, rook?

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Have a nice day.

:)