1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

2008 free agents: (Arenas, Jamison, Brand)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by prodigy08, Mar 29, 2008.

1. ColomboLQ

ColomboLQ Member

The chances of getting Jamison I think are slim to none. We will be using part of the MLE to resign Landry and there is no way Jamison is going to take that big of a pay cut to come here. He could sign for more on other contending teams.

Actually the chance that the Rockets are able to sign an impact free agent (and by impact I mean one that will get significant playing time) are also slim to none considering our team's payroll. Any significant upgrade we get will probably have to come thru trade.

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

You think Tmac would be willing to take a pay cut for Brand to come?

3. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Why get Brand when we have Scola AND Landry playing well? If we get Brand, that means either Luis or Carl will not get much playing time. What we need is a true backup swingman. Head is not a PG and is too short to play SG. Maybe it's Mike Harris but I don't know if he has the speed to defend the quicker guards. There's no "D" in Novak so he won't be more than a specialty player.

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Novadk, there is a D now. I dunno, I guess I just have a NBA Live kinda mentality right now. So you think someone like a Jason Terry might be a better fit for us?

5. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I would LOVE to see an ex-Mav that was so important to their team join the Rockets. It'll push Mav fans' buttons.

I didn't know Harris was a free agent. If he is, the Rockets should go ALL OUT trying to sign him. He is the legit point guard the Rockets need. I'd rather have Calderon, but it seems he is going to be the Steve Nash to the Raptors team. Too bad the PHX GM took over when he did because I don't think the former regime thought too highly of Calderon.

The Rockets are set at PF. Although, I wouldn't mind having Josh Smith come in to play the 3. So the Rockets should concentrate on the PG position, backup Center, and backup swingman.

The PG postion is tricky for the Rockets. Brooks will definitely be here for the future...he's a baller. But Rafer is getting older, Jackson is already old, and the Rockets have no more options after them. Signing a PG like Harris or Calderon would give the Rockets a future PG stable of Harris or Calderon and Brooks. Once that's shored up, a backup Center should be drafted. Then, the Rockets are a new perennial contender.

If no Harris/Calderon, I'd take Arenas on this team. He's stated he'd love to play here, let's see if this guy is about money or winning at this stage of his career. Signing Arenas gives the Rockets a 3rd scoring option, and if he doesn't, then I'd give up looking for a 3rd scorer

6. Fuse

Fuse Member

Let's hope Arenas' year long injury put a discount on his price. Having said that, I think Jamison would also be a great fit for the team since he doesn't need to dominate the ball to be effective.

7. Cjballa14

Cjballa14 Member

Devin Harris signed like a 6 year extension with the mavs before being traded... he wont be a FA for a LONG time...

8. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

You can not take a paycut. With the NBA players cant just decide to take less money if they are already signed. All the deals are guaranteed. Even with buyouts the salary still is part of the cap number so it makes no sense. Plus the players union would never let it happen.

Besides, professional athletes always take the money. Look at Yao. Doesnt seem greedy, seems like a great team guy, seems like he wants to win. Yet he signed a max deal. Why didnt he just sign a 10 million dollar a year deal. Thats enough to live on, that would help the team sign another 6-7 million a year player. But he deserves to be paid and he signed the max deal. No knock on him at all. Just like Tmac at the time he signed his deal. If someone offers you 20 million, you would be an idiot not to take it.

9. thiuronium

thiuronium Member

And Jamison is a decent SF backup for Battier. Battier just plays too many minutes night in and night out.

10. abc2007

abc2007 Member

11. thiuronium

thiuronium Member

Can Brand play 3? At least, I know he can gaurd 3,4 pretty good.

12. tulexan

tulexan Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I'm convinced we need the 3 things mentioned earler, upgrade at the point, another scorer, and a backup big. The good thing about Morey is he has set this roster up so that we have a lot of options. When our number is called in the first round, we will have the opportunity to pick a player that will fit and make us better or we will be able to make a trade to get something of significance.

To me, our most pressing need is another scorer. I'd rather have that over a point guard upgrade at this point. Very simply, the reason why is because we have injury issues with both 111. We need to be able to run another guy out there that, on a consistent basis, can give us 20+ per night fairly efficiently. That way, if McGrady or Yao goes down, we still have two prime time scorers out there. And we've got the contracts to do it now with these expiring deals. Perhaps at draft time, if Sac or Memphis sees a player they really want, we may be able to swing the deal for Artest or Miller with our expirings, pick, and Luther without giving up Shane.

What if.............Stephen Curry goes into the draft and he's sitting there when we pick? What if........this kid Lester Hudson is sitting there? What if Roy Hibbert is sitting there? What if Devon Hardin is sitting there? Chris Douglas-Roberts? Brandon Rush? There's a ton of what if possibilities and they're all good. Worst case scenario, draft comes around, we can't find a trade and we don't like anybody at our pick. We can give away the pick if we have to. Somebody will give us a couple second rounders for it, and at least one of those second rounders will be a high second rounder, which is an opportunity to get a contributer with a real low salary. Then we can carry our expirings until the trade deadline next season. Somebody........is going to be looking to drop salary, and those expirings plus Luther plus picks is going to get us a player. It's just a matter of when. If.......Chris Douglas-Roberts is sitting there at our pick, can you see the possibility of Memphis offloading Miller and Lowry to us for our expirings, Head, and our pick?

What if Douglas-Roberts or Brandon Rush are sitting there and Morey feel like both of those guys can give us the 3rd scoring option we need from the swing position. Can you see the distinct possibility of us sending those same expirings to Toronto for T.J. Ford at the deadline? There's all sorts of ways to go here. What if Orlando decided they wanted an upgrade from Jameer Nelson and decided to pursue Ford? Do you think our expirings would come in handy to get Jameer Nelson and possibly J.J. Redick? ;)

But in my opinion, our #1 need is a 3rd guy that can really score and shoot efficiently from the outside. When you look at our team, a guy like Jamison would have been a great fit last year before we added Scola/Landry. But now, at least for next year, Scola/Landry are untouchable. So, you aren't gonna get your 3rd scorer/shooter at the PF spot. It's got to be from swing position or the PG position.

And in my opinion, which direction this team goes in the offseason is going to have a lot to do with Aaron Brooks. If........Aaron gets on a program to improve and plays all summer and the Rockets really do feel he is the future at the point, then we're not going to overextend ourselves at the point position by taking on salary for our expirings. And if we draft a small, it will be with the idea of replacing Luther when we trade him with the expirings.

Also, on another note about the backup center position. I think we need to find a guy that can give us at least some offense when Yao is out and is big enough to actually play defense against opposing bigs and board a little. In my opinion, this is a prime time spot for a guy like Raef Lafrentz after he is bought out midseason. That is the guy I would target as our big backup. He can shoot it from out high very effectively and he is a very good rebounder and help shot blocker. His one on one defensive skills in the post are lacking but if you surrounded him with quickness, I think that weakness could be covered. He could be a low cost ideal backup center for another 3 years or so if we could get him next year. Diop? I can't believe some team would pay the whole MLE to get him. He's isn't worth but about $10 mill over 3 years. I would not pay MLE for Diop. He's just not good enough and is not going to get enough minutes as a backup to justify that kind of salary. So, I think we can drudge up a backup center, whether it is Loren Woods, or somebody else like Marc Jackson, etc. etc., until we can find the ideal replacement for Deke.

As far as the draft, the guys I'm interested in are:

1. Brandon Rush (if he slips down this far, I think he is going to be a steal just like Landry last year)

2. Stephen Curry - if he is in the draft and is there when we pick, it would be hard to not pick him. Phenomenal shooter.

3. Chris Douglas-Roberts - not sold on him but I think he could bring value in a possible trade if he is there when we pick.

4. Shan Foster - 6'6" shooter extraordinaire that can get it off against practically anybody with great accuracy. He's gonna be a weapon for some playoff team. Simply a gun, right-handed Michael Redd.

5. Lester Hudson - haven't seen enough of him yet, but he appears to be quite a playmaker with a good NBA body and has the ability to defend well at the point, drive, dish, and shoot it. (might be an option if we moved Brooks along with the expirings to get Artest)

Most of the bigs like Hardin, etc., I would not want to spend a first rounder and guaranteed salary on. I'd rather use a 2nd round pick and get them for a lot lower salary. And I think Morey can pick up a high 2nd if he sees a big there available in the high 2nd that he really likes. The Sonics with multiple 2nd round picks probably could be enticed to give up one for a cool $1 mill.

Morey has done a great job in setting up this club with plenty of options for the offseason and on into next season. I think he knows what he is doing.

14. Mr.TripleDouble

I don't see even the slightest possibility of HOU getting any starting-caliber players this offseason. Sign & Trades/Trades are the team's only options, and I would be happy just to get a serviceable backup for Yao, since I don't think Deke can last an entire year.

In a perfect world, I think it would be great if we could acquire Corey Maggette, for he could easily be the third scorer, as well as a second if Yao or Tracy go down with injury for a few games.As well, he is a great slasher who could still make a spot up shot if need be.

Also, he has the one magical power no other Rocket possesses besides Yao: Free Throw Making abilities :eek: (ignore his game against GS last week, when he was missing FTs left & right).

Also, since I don't have the ability to create topics, could someone inform me on how the Rockets are going to be able to realistically keep Carl Landry from going elsewhere this offseason?

I know trades in order to make salary cap space could happen, but I don't see too many players HOU can part with on the current roster, unless they went to get rid of B-Jax who I definitely see being necessary for at least next year as a backup.

CL Smooth really isn't a secret anymore, as he has received national attention when the ESPN crew spoke of him in some of the Rox's televised games during the streak, so I think other teams are very likely to make a push towards him, as he is young and a very efficient finisher.

15. Mr.TripleDouble

^^^^ Ahh damnit, scratch that last bold part in my previous reply. I should've checked out the HoopsHype salary cap page before I made my astute observation about Landry's remaining salary.

I see he has a team option for next year for about $700 K, which I assume the Rockets will definitely pick up. Sorry if I wasted anyone's time who was going to answer my question.

16. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

LOLOLOLOL U BROUGHT UP GAY AGAIN LOLOLOLOL!!

stars for originality.

17. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

Don't worry. Most of us are pretty friendly here ;)

18. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

There's one potential FA who has been overlooked:
    Emeka Okafor - Has disappointed in Charlotte. I doubt he'll get a huge contract. He's RESTRICTED, but the prospect of playing at home might be appealing to him. He tries to pattern his game after Olajuwon, so working with CD could be a big help. He could be a great backup 5 for Yao, ESPECIALLY if Deke doesn't re-sign.

EDIT: He's worth spending decent money on. Having a quality backup for Yao means his minutes can be cut down to 27-28 per game, saving him for the playoffs. And since he's still quite young, he can be a great component in the Brooks/Head/Novak/Landry/Scola team. Still, he's prone to injury.

#78 blathersby, Mar 29, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  19. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

I would love to see us getting a reliable shooting point guard and trade Rafer for a wingman, but seeing that Calderon will resign with the Raptors there really aren't any starting quality point guards out there. The wing position is alot better and i think we can pick up a good free-agent.

Interesting wingman: Jarvis Hayes, Josh Childress, Matt Barnes, Corey Maggette, Ryan Gomes, and Boki Nachbar

I'd be happy with any of those, esp the return of Boki the mailman slayer.

20. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Oh, he would be a good fit for us, but i think he WILL get a huge contract. The trend for the money spent on bigmen have increased exponentally and i think he could make up to 10 million per. If Charlotte doesn't resign him he will definitely get a contract elsewhere.