1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gotta love public transportation....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MoonDogg, Feb 1, 2002.

1. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Probably even worse over here.......

http://www.netcomuk.co.uk/%7Eera/tube.htm

If you are a regular traveler on the London Underground, here are some facts which you are going to wish you hadn't read.

During Autumn of 2000, a team of scientists at the Department of Forensics at University College London removed a row of passenger seats from a Central Line tube carriage for analysis into cleanliness. Despite London Underground's claim that the interior of their trains are cleaned on a regular basis, the scientists made some alarming discoveries.
    The analysis was broken down. This is what was found on the surface of the seats:

4 types of hair sample (human, mouse, rat, dog)
    7 types of insect (mostly fleas, mostly alive)
    vomit originating from at least 9 separate people
    human urine originating from at least 4 separate people
    human excrement
    rodent excrement
    human semen
    When the seats were taken apart, they found:

the remains of 6 mice
    the remains of 2 large rats
    1 previously unheard of fungus
    It is estimated that by holding one of the armrests, you are transferring, to your body, the natural oils and sweat from as many as 400 different people.

It is estimated that it is generally healthier to smoke five cigarettes a day than to travel for one hour a day on the London Underground.

It is far more hygienic to wipe your hand on the inside of a recently flushed toilet bowl before eating, than to wipe your hand on a London Underground seat before eating.

It is estimated that, within London, more work sick-days are taken because of bugs picked up whilst traveling on the London Underground than for any other reason (including alcohol).

2. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Yummy, whos ready for dinner?

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yet another reason to take my car to work....

here are some others:
    1. the bus routes to get to my job from my home on the west side of town would take nearly 2 hours

2. if i have to have a car for weekend travel/freedom, then i have to make car payments and pay car insurance....cheaper at that point to go ahead and pay for gas then it is to pay public transport. fees

3. over 60% of jobs in this town are outside of the loop

4. better not get sick at work and hope to get home quickly!!! better not have your kid get sick at school and have to rely on public transportation to go pick him up!!

5. i have to have a car to visit clients...make trips to the courthouse, etc. do you realize how many jobs require quick transportation all day long??

6. i'd rather ride alone in my own car with all my compact disc options and all my own radio options...as loud or as soft as i want them.

7. i don't like waiting...

8. i don't like waiting outside...

9. i don't like waiting outside when it's cold...

10. i don't like waiting outside when it's rainy...

11. i don't like waiting outside when it's hot (particularly when i'm wearing a suit!)

4. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Give me my Utah Jazz barf bag.....bleeeeehhhhhhh.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

SNOPES says this is another bogus claim/hoax email being sent out. Among the errors is that the University of London does not have a "Department of Forensics" :

http://www.snopes2.com/toxins/london.htm

6. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Oh well...it sounded good..... I still bet you wouldn't wanna lick the seats:p

7. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

obviously public trans. in HOuston sucks, but in other big cities like London, Paris, New YOrk, Chicago, and BOston, it is the only choice for travel if you are not taking limos and cabs everywhere. in NYC, for example, it is faster to take the subway than get stuck in midday traffic.

give me the 6 train any day over a polluted vehicle.

8. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I have to take the 1 bus in Austin. There are some disgusting people that ride that bus. They're rude as well. I can't wait till I graduate.

9. MadMax

across110th -- yes..you're talking about cities that were built up around previously-existing public rail transportation lines. that's like comparing apples and oranges.

10. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

NO, the public transportation systems were built up around previously existing cities.

its not like urban planners came across a subway system and said, "We will build around this previously existing public rail transportation line and we will call it Chicago!"

I love the bus system in Austin. I would ride my bike around UT campus, throw it on a bike rack on the bus and get to South Austin for a quarter!

also, walking is cool, too.

11. MadMax

across -- you know what i mean...public transportation was a thought well before the city ultimately developed...that is not the case in houston or most southern cities. it's a whole different ball game entirely.

walking is real neat....of course, if i walked to work, i might be there by 5PM that day. my clients kinda demand a little more from me than that...and even if it were right down the street, i don't enjoy walking into my office drenched with sweat from houston humidity in a suit.