1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GARNETT: take it up a notch?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rocket River, Jan 31, 2002.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Can he . . his biggest thing to me is CONSISTANCY

But I was looking at the scores last night. .. Wally had
    33 . . and Garnett had 19

I'm of the mind Garnett needs to be more selfish maybe
    or more . . . Forceful

If not. . they may find the second round but no further.

Rocket River

2. Dave Jamerson

Dave Jamerson Member

Garnett, while he is one of the true forces and talents in the league is not enough of a dominator on the offensive end to ever lead his team to the finals. Maybe you are correct in your assertions, that he needs to be more selfish, perhaps then he will dominate more.

3. Live

Live Member

Yeah, I saw that too, Rocket River. I feel the exact same way.

Wally's great, but for the 'Wolves to go to that next level Garnett has to be the "lead horse", so to speak. The well-rounded game is nice, but KG has to be more forceful, especially when it comes to scoring in the post.

If anything, a dominant KG would open up Wally's game more.

My $0.02.

Peace.

4. verse

verse Contributing Member

imo, it's just the opposite. a dominant wallyworld has opened up KG's game more. KG is not a hog (pure scorer, who wants the ball in all the crunchtime situations), and is much more comfortable going for a triple double every night. however, that just won't get it done in the nba now. every contending team needs a hog. if you have a 3x2 (triple double) threat to go along with him, all the better. if you have multiple 3x2s or hogs...you're either a) a dynasty or b) the portland trailblazers...

1) LA Lakers:

hog: Shaq
    3x2: Kobe

2) Sacramento:

hog: Chris Webber
    3x2: Bibby, Peja, Vlade

3) Milwaukee:

hog: Cassell, Allen
    3x2: Big Dog Robinson, Anthony Mason

4) Orlando:

hog: T-Mac
    3x2: Grant Hill (injured, and they have struggled because of it)

5) Dallas:

hog: Dirk Nowitski
    3x2: Finley, Nash

6) New Jersey:

hog: non-existent (and they won't come out of the east because of it)
    3x2: jason kidd

7) Spurms:

hog: duncan (but, barely)
    3x2: non-existant (was derek anderson, but he's gone & they thought they were better HA!)

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Garnett is a total package it's just that he would rather pass the ball in crunch time than to take it himself and try to dominate. I read that somewhere and i totally agree. He doesn't have that 'it's crunch time...i'm the best we got and i'm going to dominate' attitude. He has character and charisma but that all gets turned off during crunch time.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think Garnett is a good player, a STAR, but is one of those players that is not quite a superstar.

He is very, very good, but he is far from dominating. He does not play consistently and that is his downfall.

I think Wally is probably going to pass him as the main threat in a couple of years.

Garnett is just more passive.

DaDakota

7. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Garnett is the reason the Wolves lost game one of their first round series to the Spurs. He did not take a shot in the final five minutes of the game. Instead, he elected to pass the ball to Sam Mitchell and Dean Garrett. It was a pathetic display consistent with Garnett's personality. Flamboyant when it doesn't matter, and passive when it counts. He can **** his head back and scream all he wants during the first three quarters, but during crunch time, he has to deliver. He hasn't done it, and the Wolves have lost in the first round for five straight years. I doubt that will change this year.

8. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

With his skill and body, KG should be dominating games. Many times he'll have 20 by the half and then only score one more basket the enire game. As soon as he reaches his potential the Timberwolves will be the best team in the league. I expect this to happen somewhat soon.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think ZRB is actually right this time
    he is dominate for 3 quarters then
    tried to get everyone involved at the end. . .

he need to reverse that . . .
    the 4th should be HIS TIME

to borrow from DaDakota. . .
    Let the TALL TALENT have it in the end . . .

Wally is a scoring monster it seems. . . .

[you want to talk scare think of this. . .
    Marbury - pg
    Wally - sg
    Garnet - SF
    Tom Googs [old form] - pf
    anonymous center here - c]

Rocket River
    aaaahhhh if they only had the chemistry