1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Some of us complain that the players don't play smart or follow directions

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Woofer, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

I would hope Rudy is making them watch film to learn from mistakes, but we can't tell. I hope he encourages them when they do well and tries to get them to stop doing stupid things. (at least we're not the only team with this problem :) )

But would you want Rudy T to follow George Karl with this:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=220202015

MILWAUKEE -- Bucks coach George Karl blasted his first-place team after Saturday's loss to Philadelphia, picking out Milwaukee stars Ray Allen, Glenn Robinson and Sam Cassell and mixing in profanity to describe their play.

"I'm tired of talking about it. We've been talking about the same thing for 3½ years," said Karl, who called his team selfish and stubborn following an 86-81 defeat.

"We'll keep showing them film, we'll keep showing them opportunities. But if they were to continue to refuse to change, there's probably going to have to be a change. That means trading one of them or firing me," he said. I think it's come to that, to be honest with you."

Karl has criticized the so-called Big Three in the past. The Bucks, who lost to Philadelphia in last season's Eastern Conference finals, lead the Central Division with a 27-18 record.

"I think you all can see what's going on," Karl said. "It doesn't take a head coach in the NBA to see what's going on."

The Bucks blew a 76-71 lead, scoring just four points in the final 5:43 against the Sixers.

"There wasn't any execution," Karl said. "It didn't exist."

When asked for specifics, Karl replied, "Every night it's a little bit of stubbornness, a little bit of too much dribbling, a little bit of not committing to the team, a little bit of not having pride in how to play the game the right way."

Allen said it was a case of Karl's frustration boiling over.

"I think after a game like that, when you expect to win that game, you're just disappointed, way disappointed," Allen said. "Throughout that whole game we were way too cool, thinking that we were going to win the game and it would be taken care of. That's why we got beat. George is frustrated. He's just as frustrated as I am."

"Especially when whatever is going on on the floor is happening over and over again," Allen said. "I can't say it's nobody else's fault, because it's each individual's fault. It's not just this other person, it's everybody. We were at the stage where we were putting blame on people. We just have to look in the mirror," he said.

Teammate Anthony Mason agreed.

"All I know is that today we spelled team with an `I' instead of `E,"' he said.

The Bucks have lost five of their last six games, including four of five at home.

"I'm confident we'll get something back on track, but it's butting heads," Karl said. "It's stubborn and I'm not backing off. I'm not going to play selfish basketball. I don't know. Maybe when we get healthy, instead of being patient with them and talking to them through it, maybe I just have to put them on the bench and sit them down."

--Associated Press

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

As impressive as Karl's resume/record is, he's good coach AT BEST . Sure the Big 3 could have played better, but that's how most, if not all, teams are when they're a top seed--they think they'll win and sometimes they'll get beaten b/c of their lackluster performance. Karl tries to be hard and criticize this and that, but as the coach he should also take some of the blame as well. He asks for perfection while the best coaches that have ever been in the NBA asks for their players best effort. Two very different things. One is unattainable and the other could be a standard. Karl don't realize that all his whinin and b!tchin don't get him anywhere (i.e a championship ring). Without the ones that he blames the most (allen, cassell, robinson) he's nothing.