1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

the Notorious Rafer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by aussie rocket, Mar 23, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

No we arn't, if we had a player like Corey Maggette who gets pissed that Rafer is missing all the shots and demands the ball... If Battier and Scola demanded the ball more it would be less shots for Rafer

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

no ****. Like I don't know that.

The point is that if anyone understands when not to shoot, it is Jason Kidd. Yet, he averages 12.7 at 40% for his lifetime. If that was so horrible a stat, one would expect Jason Kidd, out of all PGs to understand that and not do it.

Do you not grasp the point I'm trying to make? I am not comparing Rafers game to a HOF point guard. I am comparing their shot attempts and their FG%.

I largely agree with you. I would just point to Rafer's 3FG attempts, though. Unless he is on fire, he should never shoot one early in the clock. I'd go so far to say he should just *never* shoot a 3 with more than 10 seconds left on the clock. Other than that, I want him to drive. I like his floater now.

3. Htowns_Finest

Htowns_Finest Member

I would hate to see you on a bad day!

4. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Even if Alston shot 50% and averaged 3 more turnover than he does now he would still be a better player than he is now. His label as a "pass first" point guard and his assist to turnover ratio if that is what makes him a good point guard then people really have a hard time understanding basketball and over rate his values as a point guard. I think JVG was the one who mentioned Alston was a pass first point guard and he is really far from that its not even close. He is playing like a "point shooter" He is definately NOT a pass first point guard. He has the handles of a point guard but no shot to follow through but sure does take tomany attemps. I think he is over paid and mis labeled and not starter material for a playoff team out west. His body language and attitude reminds me of Marbury. Someone saying he is a border line All-Star in the media or on TV has turned him into the biggest chucker lately. I really believe Alston thinks he is all of that now after getting some praise from the media and now is taking even more shots than before.

5. skip to my lou

how is rafer a chucker?? most of his shots are either wide open or a play called for him and who else on the team can even dribble a basketball for more than 5 seconds other than t-mac and rafer

6. heypartner

Uh, let's start with JVG and Adelman, then.

Explain to us people who don't understand bball, why Adelman and JVG consider Alston's ball control, decision making, setting up the offense, (all the "pass first" qualities) to be his main strength. I think <b>you</b> are the only person on this bbs I've ever seen question that. So, basically, to you, Alston is Mike James? huh????

7. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Do you not think he's been playing like Mike James lately? Rafer has not been doing a good job of running Adelman's system, as my post a few pages talked about. When does he ever do a hard cut and get an open layup? Or make a hard cut that sets up someone else? Yeah he's good at dribbling it down, but actually being a part of and running the offense? No, he's not good at that. I think he generally has decent decision making, but ever since Yao went down, combined with his hot streak, that ability has waned. He seems to consider himself the second go-to guy lately, and it's hurting this team.

People weren't b!tching about him before because he was making shots - AKA not playing like he usually does. Now that he's back to what he is, he needs to adjust his game for the team's sake.

8. Htowns_Finest

Htowns_Finest Member

Where all the Rafer haters at?

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No one is a Rafer hater....I just think he is inconsistent.

Glad Dr. Jekyle showed up tonight instead of Mr. Hyde.

:D

DD

10. Htowns_Finest

Htowns_Finest Member

Whatever Dakota you are the 1# Rafer hate on this BBS! J/K lol!

11. solid

solid Contributing Member

It's official, Rafer reads Clutch Fans BBS. So, even though you had a great night tonight, to help you do it again on Wed., I would just like to say, YOU SUCK! That should do it, now go out and prove us wrong. ;)

12. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Remember Lakers game :D ?

13. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

I said it before, Rafer is reading the board.

14. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

nice cya there, DaDakota.

Post all-star, he's 15.7 ppg, 5.4 apg (2.2 t/o), 4.2 rpg, 1.56 spg, .404 fg% & .392 3pt%.

If he's sucking in some games, he's obviously very good in others. If he's very good in the ones where TMac struggles, we're better off that way, aren't we?

15. heypartner

dude, you are contradicting yourself. "running Adelman's system" and being the cutter are two different roles in this offense.

And yes, Rafer is the #2 scorer sense Yao went down. So I don't quite grasp your second point.

No I don't think he is playing like James.
    He is not a shoot first PG. That's ridiculous. just simply ridiculous.

our motion is having problems, but they aren't because Rafer has turned into a shoot first PG or an iso man. that's just silly.

i don't even know why i'm responding to someone with a sig like yours. You're just not being objective.

Rafer could shoot less 3s when he's not on. And he is no all-star and never will be. But he is not our biggest problem. Our biggest problem is playing TMac too many minutes in our donut offense.

16. Htowns_Finest

Htowns_Finest Member

:D Sounds like somebody knows a little something about basketball fellows. Nice post!

17. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

I dont have to question anything i can see what he is and its far from a pass first point guard. Mike James can show qualities and this does not make him a pass first point guard. Yao Ming can show qualities and this does not make him a pass first center or point guard. Setting up the offense does not make you a pass first point guard it has nothing to do with the definition. Its mis used. Alston has good ball controll, bad decision making and cant shoot with consistency to save his life. He seems to be doing better tonight but where did he go when he was matched up to Chris Paul? Where did he go when he was matched up to Steve Nash? Where did he go when he was matched up to Baron Davis? He is doing good against the bottom feeder teams of the league but when he faces a good team or a better point guard he fades away. Kidd, Nash, Paul those are pass first point guards any player who averages 10,11,12 assist on a nightly basis. Alston only shows flashes but is far from it.
    Did you not see him force a bank hook shot off the glass with 2 guys surrounding him and Battier wide open? If he was a pass first point guard he would have made that pass and didnt thus taking shots away from better shooters and that is not playing to your strength at all. That was a forced bad shot and it still went in but was still a bad shot. Kidd, Nash, Paul all 3 would have made that a 3 point shot or atleast a better looking shot. A pass first point guard should only be labeled to players who sets up his team mates for a open basket and Alston has a long ways to go. I think the term is mis used for him.

Its very true he is 3rd in shot attempts on this team and doesnt make much sence to be called a pass first point guard. Alot of times it flip flops between Alston and T-Mac who leads the team in assist and you would think a pass first point guard should lead the team in assist but dont.

Im not a Alston hater and never was but i think he dont fit in with what this team needs most. He should come off the bench next season to a point guard who can give his shot attempts to players who have a better shot of making baskets thus limiting Alston's attempts from the offense. And it would be true he would probably be a top 5 back up in the league off the bench but what goes through his head is i want to score the ball and is thinking of scoring before making a pass and Rafer himself has also said this in previous articles like after the Lakers game. He is thinking no Yao someone needs to step up so it must be me but he is doing it in the wrong way he needs to be a distributer and not a scorer this would help the team, cross out your weaknesses for the efficiency of the team and he is not a shooter and never has been.

So from here on out and even in the playoffs the rest of this season all layes mostly in Alston's hands and how well this team playes starting with him and you can put your money on that.

This team needs a real time playmaker, creator, someone to get his team mates involved, low turnover guy, consistent shooter and i think this guy who ever it is will force Alston to sit.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Rafer is not a pass first PG, nor is he a shoot first one, he is more of a floor general, someone who is steady with the ball.

And for the record, all players cut in Adelman's system.....every single position makes a hard cut at one point or another.....

DD

19. skip to my lou

exactly even rafer has said this

20. heypartner

The "cutter" is referred to as the corner man. A guy who doesn't run the offense with the ball and who cuts for a shot.

The dribblers like Alston, when they cut, they are mainly cutting to get the ball back. Not so much to score.

But I'm just talking about our corner offense with the high post flex screening or the corner cuts and the corners back screening for the high post cuts. Plus we retain a high PnR option in nearly all sets we run . There are other offenses, but that's our primary one. Alston, TMac and BJax are not doing many cuts to the hole. That's a different role.

This is not a five man motion offense (like Bobby Knights) where there are no real roles and everyone does everything. That's not our motion offense. There are dozens of motion offenses out there. This is not of the interchangeable role variety.

You're right; everyone cuts but to say everyone does the same cuts is not correct.

Let me ask you this. Do you think Alston is confused in this system? Do you think he looks lost out there? Do you think he doesn't know what Adelman wants him to do?