1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Adelman comment wrt opponent defenses on TMac

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Mar 20, 2008.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

they need landry plain and simple. you need more than one big man who can score, as hard as it is on tracy, its as hard on scola.

the rockets made history, no one can take anything away from them on that. but realize, if rafer doesn't play out of his mind especially after landry goes down, that doesn't happen. props to rafer though

2. tsunami

tsunami Member

yet some guys still says this team is better without YAO

3. YallMean

YallMean Member

Well, I dont think Landry would have been the difference for us in the last two games. However, having Landry roll with Tmac would have been much more effective.
    People are saying Tmac this that, but in his defense, when he had a guy a like Deke or Hayes running PNR with him outside, there is not much he can do. He did try going inside, but there was a wall awaiting him there. Large part of his game now depends on good screens and picks. His shots simply werent there.
    Yeah, Adelman has a hell of coaching and adjusting to do. Like I said, if we could finish this week better than 3-2, it feels better than the 22 winning streak to me.

Among many problem I see right now, besides Tmac isnt effective, here are some

1. Scola is not a post presence and foul prone. If Scola can punk fake his man, the game is over. He doesnt have a power game. So basically this team does not have a post presence.

2. Head is only effective when his shots fall in. He does cut to the rim from time to time, but that's not his staple move. His shot selection and decision is off IMO. When the ball is in his hands, offense stalls. Compounding with his defense overmatch, he isnt used more by Adleman, which I understand.

3. We shoot too many treys.

4. If Rafer has to penetrate to make it happen we are in trouble. His penetration is like a sneak attack. If he tries to be superman, we are in trouble in many ways, and Rafer isnt the one to be blamed.

Making Tmac effective is priority, and Duh!

Having Hayes, Deke out there when we need points is sure death. RA has to roll the dice here. I wouldnt hesitate to put in Novak, Harris. Hell with defense. Just tell them scramble it out on defense and hope opponents get confused not taking advantage of it quick enough. Once order is restored, then we play good defense.

4. YallMean

YallMean Member

Not really. The problem werent exposed because in that 10 game stretch we didnt meet anybody with serious post presence. Not once. Bonzi killed us last night actually by posing, and of course his ugly jumper was on. :(

To me, we will have better change against the Warriors next game. Suns would be tough too, since they start pounding to Shaq.

As long as we play middle-hollow team, we have got a chance.

5. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

It isn't but what? Can you bring back healthly Yao? We just have to deal with it, we doesn't have choice

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Our problems we completely on the offensive end:

Lack of second chance points
    No strong finishers near the basket
    Turnover

First two landry solves - and to a lesser degree the last one (since guys like Hayes and Harris will be more on the bench)

7. YallMean

YallMean Member

Adelman kinda alluded to it last game, our ball movement was stagnant. Adelman gotta find a way to make the ball move again, not just relying Tmac and Rafer to make it happen. When Rafer dashed down, and first thing was to look for Tmac posting 20 feet out, that tells you we were desperate, and it aint going to work. We also tried the 3 man high post corner triangle offense, it didnt create any open shots for us. Tmac's penetration wasnt working, Rafer's neither. Scola cant post up. Basically the 2nd half of the Celt's game and 4th Q of the hornets game(actually we didnt play well offensively except at the begning and 2nd quarter surge, Hornets played poorly till the 4th Q), we didnt have offense. Also when Tmac and Rafer start playing hot potatoes east and west to let clock slip, one of them need to be benched.

8. Rockza

Rockza Rookie

All these people who are blaming TMac for the last two losses have no clue about basketball. They think TMac is a superman playing against YMCA strength opponents. If two NBA quality players are constantly guarding you because your team have multiple non scorers on the floor you think TMac can be that good? First he is no Kobe or Lebron, not anymore at least, in TMac's prime he was equal to those two if not better. Only these two guys can even think about breaking opponents down even if they are consistently doubled. TMac is getting doubled AND teams are playing zone against us because we have no scorers. Even Yao cannot do anything off double teams except pass it out and he is 7 6"!

On the other hand, I have to say the last two games Adelman really disappointed me, throughout the streak especially after Yao was hurt, Adelman would not be afraid to bring people like Novak in if he felt our shooting was bad, but he has not been doing that despite our horrible shooting the last two games. He seemed to be very hesitant in experimeting in our two losses. Do what has been working for us coach!

9. YallMean

YallMean Member

Oh, to your point, I think our offense woes are related to defense personel. If opponents start to pound inside and pull away, I feel RA values defense before offense, which at this point is a sure death, since even if we make stops, we cant score to catch up either.

Like I said, I would roll the dice, put in Novak, Landry, Harris, Head, go beserk on offense. That might be an ugly death too, but at least not a sure death.

10. Rockza

Rockza Rookie

yea they are idiots, same as you when you and others who said we are a better team without TMac.

11. skip to my lou

I dont get it he is T-mac i know this isnt his first time being double teamed in orlando he always had 4 guys on him why is it a problem now

12. T.Mcgrady

T.Mcgrady Member

He was one of the quickest players in the league with some of the best handles; keep in mind he ss 6'8. If he was doubled he could rip through it with his ability to drive, if they tried single coverage he was probably the most dangerous scorer in the league. He could rise up and hit the jumper with consistency from anywhere on the court, or he could take it to the hole.

The all-star game in 05-06 was the last time I saw McGrady play like he used to. The injuries killed his game. McGrady has recovered some of his athletic ability (last year it was virtually non existent) but his handles have degraded a bit, and so has his shot...

If he doesn't recover his form by next season, he's done being that player IMO. It took VC a few years to get back in form (they were practically the same age when they faced their injury issues) so hopefully the same happens to McGrady.

13. skip to my lou

what injury? t-mac hasnt had any major injuries(knocks on wood) most of it has been minor pains that he cant play through i just think he is getting older and it is hard for him to get into tip top shape but he is still top 10 guards in the league and can still be dangerous on any given night

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

more Adelman and Battier quotes. Battier makes a point that is common to motion offenses.

quotes are from the Chronicle:

March 21, 2008, 12:07AM
    <a href="http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5637654.html">Rockets' battery needs jump</a>
    Offense ceases to be a moving experience

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle
    Doesn't it sound like Adelman doesn't want TMac to go into superhero mode by attempting "tougher shots." I sure expect him to, but to me it doesn't sound like coach wants him to force the issue.

Die by motion, even if it's stagnant and predictable?

and that brings us to Battier's quote about predictable/lazy motion.

No offenses system is infallible. They all have strengths and weaknesses. The key is to play one that best suits your players. The way I generally explain it is the problem with motion is that it is a reactionary offense. Thus, good defenses can basically decide for you, what you're going to do. Of course, we could say that same thing about attack offenses like PnRs; but there, the defenses is more picking their poison between your strongest options, rather than choosing a weak link in a 5-man motion game.

That said, Battier is probably also talking about what happens when you get mentally tired, stop trusting the system, and play player combination with little chemistry together.

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I completely agree, man I really miss Landry. What happened to the dude? I thought it was a minor injury and he was going to miss maybe 2 games. :(

The instant double teams on TMAC is getting extremely annoying, especially with our players suddenly inability to hit an open J.

Like you said though, with Hayes and Deke on the floor...that leaves it 5 on 3, with 2 guys on TMAC. :(

16. Yakapo

Yakapo Member

where is landry??????????????

17. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

I think he's talking about the back problems or whatever it was that caused him to miss the rest of the season we didn't make the playoffs (05-06, right?).

Even to this day, even if we lost to Utah last season, I wish T-Mac and the Rockets got out of first round vs. Dallas. That was the perfect series and T-Mac was still in his prime.

Ever since then, he hasn't played the same. Search up T-Mac highlights. Watch those in Orlando, and then those in his first year in Houston. They will be almost identical.

But if you searched 'Recent T-Mac Highlights' you would get:

'Sorry. Nothing found in that category.'