1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shameful.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ZRB, Jan 31, 2002.

1. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

15 points and 3 assists for Nash in the fourth quarter? Nash is good, but he is in NO way THAT good. You'd think that after his fifth wide-open look of the quarter, you'd see some kind of defense on him. Nash did not hit a series of tough shots. What he did was not spectacular. All he did was hit WIDE open shots that the Rockets just handed to him. There were NO adjustments made during that quarter. The Rockets just let the guy shoot.

How could Rudy let this happen? The Rockets had a great lineup in the game during the third quarter, bringing the team ALL the way back. What did Rudy do? He brought in Moochie "Defense-less" Norris, and his embarrassingly unsuccessful small-ball lineup. As soon as Moochie got in the game, I knew it was over.

Nice gift for the Mavericks guys. You gave yet another game away.

And before you say that Dallas is a better team and was supposed to win, keep in mind that Dallas played like complete trash themselves. It tool a gift of wide open looks by the Rockets to hand them the win.

2. Glyde22

Glyde22 Contributing Member

When Bradley fouled out why the hell did Rudy take Cato out of the game?:mad:
    I normaly don't question the coaching but I fail to see the logic in this three guard line up. Yeah, Moochie has hit some big shots down the stretch but I would prefer not to be in a position where we have to pull games out of our @ss

3. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Its called tanking, Rudy really likes some college or high school player.

4. freeflowin'

freeflowin' Member

i liked:

1) griffin's 7 blocks! :eek:
    2) francis almost triple double (well, not almost, but hey) :p
    3) CATO showin some heart and smilin' out there with norris :cool:
    4)our "small ball" disrupting dallas semi-zones and d by driving and dishing out for shooters who were feelin hot :)
    5)and one more thing i liked: francis hanging on the rim, acting immature, being happy like a kid, and rudy smiling cause his ball club is having fun when the season SUCKS and two starters are injured and the lineup has seen more changes than liz taylor seen husbands :D

:) :) ;) ;)

5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

:confused:
    I thought tonight's game was great!!
    Go Rockets!!

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

ZRB, your act is getting old and tiring! :p

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It may be tiring, but ZRB is RIGHT ON THE MONEY !!!

Defense wins in the NBA, and frankly Steve is AWFUL on the defensive end.

I said it before, and I will say it again.

It AIN'T a mismatch if the guy you are guarding scores as many as you.

Steve....wake up.....the only way you reach superstar status is to start playing defense....at least try....

Steve is a LOLLIGAGGER on defense.

DaDakota

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I think it's fine to criticize and even bash, that is the privilege of the fan - it just gets a bit boring when it starts sounding like a broken record and when it sounds sooooooo negative like it is the end of the world or something. When it is done with a bit of humour, with a ;), it is just much more pleasant to read...

9. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Are you (ZBR and Dadakota) even Rockets fans, Can the rockets do anything wright??????????
    All you do is complain, why don't you go and cheer for another team???? maybe the lakers or the spurs they win games.
    Maybe the rockets don't play as good as you think they should, but that doesn't mean they don't deserve fans who can see the bright sides. Ok they lose verry much this year, but they had a few setbacks. Taylor out for the season. Francis injured for 19 games. of course they wil lose a lot. Let Carter be injured for 19 games lets see if the raptors win any games. Or Nowitzki or Mcgrady or o'neal ore iverson.

i'm getting verry tired of you always compaining, even when the rockets win. What do they have to do to make you guyes happy?????? win two championchips????

10. ScreamingRocketJet

As a rookie, didn't he say he'd be a 'cross between stockton and payton' because he'd play both ends etc?

11. carlit0

carlit0 Member

Even with Carter healthy they can't win to many game.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Arno,

I would be happy if they showed progress, and started playing smarter, because then I would know that we are on the right track.

I just get frustrated and use this board as a catharsis and a place to vent my frustration in watching players that I think can be GREAT if they only played on both ends of the floor and with more intelligence.

Don't mistake my frustrations for lack of being a fan, I have been a Rockets fan since 1972-3, and have followed them since Rudy, Kevin Kunert, Billy Paultz, Moses Malone, Etc.....all the way, and have NEVER given up belief that they can win EVERY game.

I will keep watching, and criticizing, until the light bulb goes off, and they start playing smarter basketball....I look forward to that day.....don't you?

:D

DaDakota

13. Live

Live Member

I have to sort of agree with DD and ZRB on this one.

Interesting how we were all worried about the frontcourt at the beginning of the season, and yet it's the backcourt that isn't getting the job done.

Yes, part of the problem is that the guards are trying to do too much because, despite their suprisingly effective play this season, the frontcourt is still a weakness. But that's no excuse for the backcourt's lack of defense nor inefficient play.

The backcourt has a lot of maturing to do before the Rocks can "turn the corner".

14. dreday

dreday Contributing Member

I feel ya arno_ed.

15. RebelRocket

RebelRocket Contributing Member

A few observations-

Should Cato continue playing the way he is, Steve may stick to his guy more and not worry about rebounding. Let's hope that is the problem/solution.

Those who "complain" all the time just want the best for this team. Related question: how many of you happen to have kids? I have two, and find myself complaining/loving all the time. :)

I have a friend up here in the Metroplex who is a Mavericks fan. On our 2 world championships, he says I am living in the past. I tell him that with the Mavericks he is still waiting for a past to live in. :D

Take care, guys.

16. TexasG

TexasG Member

You must be talking about all those drives to basket where Nash was breaking ankles, and busting the Rockets defense?

Word to the wise ... Nash IS that good.

17. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While I agree that our backcourt defense is poor, I have to completely DISAGREE that Steve Nash was just handed those points and assists in the 4th quarter. Give the opponent some credit, Tweak. Nash played outstandingly, and he hit some VERY tough shots that made me just shake my head and applaud his efforts. I live in Dallas, and I have seen a lot of Steve Nash play. He is pretty damn good, and I think that he had some extra motivation last night playing against a guy who he probably feels he should be starting over in the All Star game.

And you know what, maybe he is right. But I just wanted to point out that the Rockets were playing just as good defense in the last 4 minutes or so as they were when they made their comeback. The difference is, Nash was the one taking those shots in the last 4 minutes as opposed to most of the rest of the team. He was hitting, the others weren't. Give credit where credit is due, the Rockets did their best to win this game, the Mavs did their best to win it, and the best team won.

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll give credit to Nash, but our defense in that final four minutes was no where near what it was in third quarter. I saw, I believe Mobely, completely turn his back on Nash, giving him a wide open shot. Those kind of mistakes didnt' happen in the 3Q run.