1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Allen will NOT play tomorrow

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Mar 17, 2008.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5627365.html

[rquoter]Boston Celtics guard Ray Allen will not play when the Eastern Conference's top team faces the Rockets on Tuesday night at Toyota Center.

Allen injured his left heel in a game on Friday night.

Before Monday's announcement, the Celtics said on their Web site that the team is erring on the side of caution regarding Allen.

"We want to be 100 percent healthy going in to the playoffs," coach Doc Rivers told celtics.com.

On Tuesday, the Celtics play the second game of a rare Texas triangle schedule, having played in San Antonio on Monday and heading to Dallas on Thursday.

The Celtics were the first team this season to 50 wins, matching the 72-73 Celtics for the fastest in franchise history to 50, and reaching the milestone for the first time since 1991-92, Larry Bird's last season.

Allen discussed Tuesday's game with the Chronicle's Fran Blinebury on Monday.

."They (the Rockets) are feeling real good about themselves, so regardless of what happens (against the Spurs), we're going to that building and they'll be on a high,'' Allen said. "What they've done has been amazing. They're going to see us, with that group of guys together, for the first time. So we look forward to getting in that building and showing them how we can play."[/rquoter]

The Celtics will still be a tough, as they showed against the Spurs tonight. And they are the toughest team in the league on the second night of a back to back.

2. ice_berg_slim

ice_berg_slim Member

Boston will be using this reason as a buffer if they lose. Oh well... I'll take the W anytime of the day.

3. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Great.

Excuse #27:

"But they didn't have Ray Allen..."

4. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Not good... I wanted to beat them full strength, one more excuse.

5. durvasa

But we can respond that they won in San Antonio without him. And then the retort is, "Yeah, they were playing back to back". And then, we check mate them with, "Sure .. but the Celtics were 13-2 in back to back situations."

See, I already got this figured out.

6. Quiksilver

Quiksilver Member

dont matter, they still have sam cassell, a veteran player that can put up big numbers too.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Who cares, bring em on......we can take anyone.

DD

8. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Haha, nice! I'm using this argument.

9. sando

sando Member

Good arguement, but "this was b2b road games".

10. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Have to win the game first but I like the confidence. :D

11. scottlaw

scottlaw Rookie

Doc is right. They wouldnt want to risk more injuries unless the game is very important. Nobody can chase their record now in the East, and very likely not any teams in the West either. I dont see the game will be as competitive and intense as the Lakers game.

12. durvasa

7-2 on the road in second night of a back to back, including a win against the Lakers!

13. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Critics don't matter at all. What we need to focus on more than anything else is (1) making the playoffs, and (2) getting the highest seed possible, not in that order. I'm totally glad Allen is out- the only important thing is the W, not the critical evaluations of our streak. I'm telling you, absolutely no one will remember which player was out or when as we piled up the wins- in future discussions, it is only going to be "remember those Rockets that had a 24...25...26... whatever winning streak?" The odds are very likely that we will make the playoffs-but we haven't clinched yet. The odds are that we can get a high seed- but we're only separated from most teams by 2-3 games.

So anything that gives us an advantage to win, we'll take it.

14. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I was hoping he would play too but oh well.

I wonder how far we will drop in the "power rankings" when the streak is broken? I can see us falling out of the top 5 for sure with comments from these experts like "losing to the hobbled Celtics practically erases the 22 game winning streak this team had accomplished against the bottom feeders of the league. We knew the streak would end sooner rather than later."

15. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

To clarify. I did not mean for this post to sound like I believe the Celts will win tomorrow night because they won't.

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

amazing luck during this run.

i wonder if paul/west will be injured during thursday's game.

17. Rockets_Truth

Rockets_Truth Contributing Member

They beat a great team in San Antonio without Allen, so they better not even start with that damn excuse of not having Ray Allen after the Rockets wipe the floor with them tomorrow. :mad:

23-0 Go Rockets!!!

18. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

I wonder if getting lucky is better or getting tested by true playoff opponents. Hmmmm

19. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Or could it be the basketball gods evening the playing field because of the unfortunate Yao injury.

20. Basket-CMD

Basket-CMD Member

Real challenges are coming....

Celtics,Hornets,Warriors,and the Suns.....

We have passed the Lakers,but the schedule is really tough.... Like the Celtics this week..

They are a team,and we ,too.

Hope we can grab another win....