1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo] Kelly Dwyer's take on the Rockets streak

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Mar 17, 2008.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He says he's not surprised by the 22-game streak. Interesting take.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/nb...lt=AjB9Kw8OeYMazO.fWhva7dW8vLYF?urn=nba,72034

[rquoter]My biggest issue with the Houston Rockets' 22-game winning streak is that I'm not covering it the right way. I need to be one of those national columnists who has to touch on five different sports in a workweek, usually loathing to take on any NBA story that doesn't involve Shaq and/or Kobe and ... I'm not.

I'm essentially taking in these wins in the same way the Rockets are taking on these wins, one at a time; and that's why you'll have pardon me when I call the NBA's second-longest winning streak - performed by what is probably the fifth or sixth-best team in the NBA this season (depending on what you think of the Jazz, Mavs, and Hornets) -- not all that surprising.

It makes sense that a team this smart, this dogged, this competitive, and this damn good at defense could work its way toward 22 wins in a row. Sue me if I nonplus for too long.

For at least half of last October's 31 days, I had the Rockets as my favorites to come out of the Western Conference. And yet, if you tell me five months ago that the same Rockets (just leave Yao in for the whole 22, actually) would have won 22 straight at some point in the 2007-08 season, and I would have called bullhockey before asking to see your flux capacitor.

Tell me right now that the Rockets - currently the 1st seed in the West - will make it to the Finals in June, and I'll call you a nutter. Remind me that they've won 22 in a row? It makes sense. It makes total sense.

Playing against a Pau-less Laker team on Sunday, the Rockets (read: Rafer Alston) got hot from the outside against a Los Angeles defense (in Phil Jackson's own words, mind you) that didn't think they could keep up the hot shooting for long.

They couldn't, but the defense never faltered, Shane Battier harassed Kobe Bryant into a rough shooting night, Houston hit some tough (not exactly "good" shots, but necessary attempts) looks down the stretch, and a win makes sense.

I hope nobody mis-reads this as me denigrating Houston's accomplishment.

Try a re-read, or skip to this: I'm calling this team good enough and smart enough to pull off a 22-win streak considering its own gifts and the (let's face it) somewhat (not streak-defining, mind you) schedule that the team has had to work with. The streak is a testament to keeping things simple, and to honestly working that cliché about one game at a time. [/rquoter]

2. onethreeeleven

That he's not surprised means one of three things:

1. He's lying.

2. He can predict the future.

3. He is the world's biggest idiot.

Poll: Which do you think it is?

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

try number 1 and 2. He's an idiot for lying

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

lol, i mean 1 and 3

5. durvasa

None of the above. I think he means that there isn't a single win in the streak that surprises him.

Still, even if the Rockets were 80-20 favorites each game, the probability that they could sustain it for 22 straight games is pretty small (1.1%). That's the remarkable thing about this.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I like "our" Kelly, but I have to admit that I think he has written better pieces than this one.

7. codell

codell Contributing Member

Come on Kelly.

If you weren't denigrating the accomplishment, you wouldn't have brought up their schedule (which you did) and you would have mentioned that they have done half of this w/o arguably the most dominant low post player in the NBA (which you didn't).

On paper, this team has NO BUSINESS winning 22 games against the weak sisters of the poor, much less any NBA team, so quit qualifying any kudos you give by mentioning the schedule. Only 1 other team in NBA history has done what we are doing, so either give unqualified props or STFU and don't comment at all.

This is getting old.

8. durvasa

That's a tad unfair. It's his job to give his opinion on things, and this is the biggest NBA story going right now.

9. codell

codell Contributing Member

Hes entitled to his opinion, but don't say you aren't denigrating something right after you denigrate it. Its completely disingenuous.

Its not unfair at all to call someone out for doing that, and I've always liked KD, including his articles/commentary and his posting here.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That's the same defensive philosophy other teams throw at us during playoffs. Clamp down the paint. Make us beat them with outside shots.

I hope that amount of trust will be long lasting. I don't see Rafer hitting 8 threes or scoring more than 18 points during the playoffs.

11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

So, how long 'til Kelly replies to this thread? :D

12. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

Hang it in the locker room. One more incentive to play like demons through the end of the playoffs guys!

Git 'er done!

13. smartfish

smartfish Member

Hello! The Rockets already won 22 straight games. They don't need you idot to say that they deserve it! I say you deserve to shut up your mouth!

14. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I liked it. You can't get pissed off every time someone says we aren't good enough to win it all.

He gave us credit for the streak.

15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You must be new around here. Kelly Dwyer gets respect in these parts.

As for the article, I agree that it isn't Kelly's best day at the office. Kelly is one of the better sports writers out there BUT

While I'm not quite as perturbed as Codell, I tend to agree with him on pretty much all of the points he's made in this thread.

#15 Williamson, Mar 17, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  16. GAY4WHO???

GAY4WHO??? Member

kelly dwyer sucks...and he steals intellectual property from clutchfans

17. tracymingreedy

tracymingreedy Contributing Member

Sounds like he wrote the article when he was drunk. Hard to read. ;)

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Dwyer's article on the streak isn't his best, but some of ya'll need to chill...
    _______

ClutchFans.net is the undisputed granddaddy of NBA fan sites. Launched in August 1996 by David "Clutch" Hardisty, the page stands alone in the annals of online hoops fandom due to the sheer volume of its Houston Rockets coverage.

Fan-penned columns, game recaps, scouting reports and statistical breakdowns cover the site, in addition to a lottery-pick generator that has been (ahem) "appropriated" by bigger, corporate-run sites. Adding to the frenzy is a message board that boasts 19,000 registered posters and offers the most intelligent NBA fan back-and-forth you'll find on the Web.

Dwyer

19. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

agreed... definitely not one of kelly's finer pieces. his opinion not withstanding, it just isn't very well written.

20. durvasa

To be fair, this isn't really a stand alone piece. I think he writes a quick recap for every single game he watches (and he pretty much watches every game). This was his recap for the Lakers game.