1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We're not a 20-0 team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Mar 14, 2008.

1. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

I agree with the OP.

Don't forget when yao's not playing, other players get more pt. So it's not like you lose 22pts and 11rebs all of a sudden. Other players will provide maybe 15pts and 7rebs in yao's playing time.

For example, this will make a 100-80 blowout in NO to a 10 point win vs NO at home. Of course TMAC has to play 48 hard minutes to fight through the West-less NO, while he can watch from bench in NO with yao sitting close to him.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You know you are right. I thought the same thing to myself. But then I figured I better not say it because I'll get grilled like you are now.

But ya know what, everyone already knows we're not going anywhere in the playoffs. No one thinks of us as a contender or great team.

So you don't have to worry about the fall - it's expected. IN fact, it's what makes this run to remarkable - even the last 8 - that we did the last 8 without Yao.

To say we're only 8 in a row is a bit unfair to the rest of the guys. They held up their end of the bargain. And even with Yao it would have been remarkable.

At the end of the day - you just have to watch and see what happens. Don't analyze it too much. I've made that mistake numerous times here before.

3. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

i think what you are trying to say is that this is not the elite team that a 20-0 team should be, but rather a team that has somehow managed to scrap and claw its way to 20-0. if that's the case i agree.

i do some drag racing, and sometimes a car that is a 11.00 car will go 10.50 because everything just lined up perfectly on that run. it doesnt change the fact that the car went 10.50 on that day under those circumstances, but the other 95% of the time, it's an 11.00 car.

its kind of a tough thought to verbalize, but thats how i feel about this team. i'm kind of looking at them like "how in the hell are you doing this?" i'm awfully proud, very surprised, and really happy to have been around for it.

4. Rockza

Rockza Rookie

guys stop making "hypothetical" analysis. Sure Durvasa has a point when he says that we are a different team that won 12 to the one that won 8 because Yao is not playing. But who is to say the team that won 12 could have won the last 8? Maybe there is a team that would not have fit our style and Yao could struggle? The answer is this NEITHER team is a 20-0 team. However, I have to say this win streak started when Scola became the starter, so he is the one that actually pushed us over the hump. Anyways, lets stop being technical and lets just enjoy our run.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't mind getting grilled. I'm just reluctant to get too high in the middle of the regular season. I'm loving the streak right now, but I think we should keep our expectations grounded in reality. I guess I'm just anticipating more than a few losses next week, and I'm trying to mentally prepare myself and the rest of the board for the ensuing backlash.

6. YallMean

YallMean Member

Did we just win the 20th game in a row? So why are we not?

Our streak is as good as other great team's, and it shouldnt be taken away from us just because our squad is not as talented.

Are we a Championship level team, probably not. But never say never.

7. Rockza

Rockza Rookie

Dude, get over it. "Middle" of the regular? Try "towards the end". I don't think a lot of us are saying that we will win the championship at least I haven't read much of championship talk on this BBS, if any. So I don't know where you are getting that everyone's expectations are too high.

You are preparing yourself by saying that without Yao we are not a 20-0 team? Would you say we are a 8-0 team without him?? I would venture say NO WAY. So if 8-0 is possible anything is possible. NEVER SAY NEVER

8. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

I think you are putting way too much into it. Whenever the Rockets lose I get frustrated and I know when they eventually lose, I will be disappointed BIG time. BUT that will not take away from the fact that they have done something few others have. Yao or no Yao.

This team is different, yes, if it's any better.....well, we shall see in late April and throughout the summer. For now, enjoy.

9. Rockza

Rockza Rookie

It's the same thing as last year when without Yao we were 20-10 and everyone said when Yao comes back we are a championship team. DIDNT HAPPEN. So nothing is guaranteed, us winning with Yao or us losing without Yao in the playoffs.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

good, but you know it's possible we might have won those 20 games without yao for the first 12 - less likely, but not impossible.

And no one is saying a few losses will bring us back down to earth. Because everyone is expecting it. This streak is just incredible on it's own - it doesn't mean we'll win the championship. It's incredible because we aren't really a contender - that's why everyone is talking about it.

For once, we're being talked about because we aren't the Celtics or Lakers - who everyone would expect to win 20 in a row and yawn. When the Lakers won 19 a few years ago, it wasn't a big deal - ask yourself why!

11. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

I agree with Durvasa somewhat.

Loosing Yao, the focal point of our offense, changed our team. It changed our team more significantly than loosing any other player. It changed our style of play. It changed our chemistry. We had to find a new identity. I agree that its fair to say we are a new team since Yao went down.

Our new team has found a new identity. We now have more room to operate down low. And we have given our "four headed monster" room to rear its head. I of course am talking about "Shanewagon Scolandry". The energy those guys bring has defined our team thus far. Deke fits in well in spots, Rafer is actually an ideal point guard with his mad handles to distribute the ball. And TMac really has taken the reins to initiate the offense and to take over when necessary. TMac has picked his spots very very well.

We now have a relatively unknown commodity that was valued at zero by the national media, and has made it into the national spotlight, complete with the "kiss my black ass"quote by Deke.

Now the issue, I think, isn't whether the media is being fair or not with its praise and/or blame. The issue is why do you give a damn what the national media says anyway, good or bad. Of course we like to be recognized for our achievements, and its sweet to rub their noses in their initial predictions for our team once Yao went down, but the more we grow accustomed to accepting their accolades, the more frustrated we will be when they start beating down on us again.

I disagree with Durvasa's notion that we need to protect ourselves against an eventual loss by tempering our expectations for this team. Instead we need to watch like the Rockets are playing, game to game.

If this thread is an "excitement retraction thread", that aims to protect ourselves from the eventual loss or losses we may endure as the season wears on, then we don't need it. If it aims to protect us from how bad we might feel if we don't get out of the first round again, then down with this thread. Then throw this thread out, and along with it the media circus good and bad. We are the true fans, we watch the games. Enjoy the games. Relish the victories. Be frustrated after any defeats. We only need to watch the games and we can make our own analysis. We need not fear loosing the media's empty blessings. If the Rockets tank from now I will be sad, but it won't destroy me. Man, I will be sad. But I'm not sad, gddmit, I'm freaking ecstatic because our team is ripping it up like nothing else, and we are being treated to quite a show by an amazing team. The only reason we are getting accolades is because there is NOTHING ELSE THE MEDIA CAN DO. Thats how amazing this team is. These Rockets are remarkable. Any fan who has been watching the game knows that.

12. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

what kind of crap is this? not the same team?, last time i checked everybody on our side of the floor had on a HOUSTON ROCKETS uniform. Whether it's a superstar or role player that goes out, or we change up our style its still the Rockets. why in the world would u bring up this negative b.s. during one of the greatest times in franchise history? take that crap to a Mavs board. (red angry face)

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

SCOREBOARD PEOPLE!!!!

14. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

I think the OP is correct from a certain point of view. But, to the same extent, there is no guarantee that a team WITH Yao would have won the 20 games in a row either.

You take it for what it is, even though the team has changed their philosphies and attack strategy over the last 8 games, doesnt mean its not the same team. And the Rockets have won 20 straight.

Also, Durvasa isn't trying to rain on anyone's parade. To me, the game that was most ripe for the losing wasnt the Hawks game. It was the Wizards game. That gameplan included Yao with only the same day to make any modifications. Once the team had time to figure out an attack plan without Yao, it was business as usual. Hence, I have no qualms saying the Rockets won 20 in a row. Just like when a plane loses an engine, the other goes a bit harder, and everyone gets home safe.

The only series where Yao will be missed is the Lakers and the Suns who each have 2 good post players. Deke will be able to hold down Shaq for a while, but nobody will be able to account for Amare. Deke can handle Bynum, but Scola on Gasol really favors the Lakers. As good as Chuck and Landry are, their undersizedness against Phoenix will really hurt.

15. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

strength of schedule wise, aren't the last 8 games stronger than the first 12?

16. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

17. symbiote007

symbiote007 Member

Zero Week will be a big test for this team and this is where we need Landry and Yao the most. If we win all these games, it'll truly be remarkable.

18. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

i think duravasa is more interested in preparing himself for an eventual letdown, than looking at the facts objectively ...kind of comical if you ask me :D

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It's true that I'm trying to prepare myself for a letdown, but objectively speaking what I said was true. This team should not have the expectations of a 20-0 team thrust on its shoulders. I mean, right after Yao went down, we were on a 12-0 streak. Would it have been fair to assume the team, without Yao, was a "12-0"-quality team at that point and form expectations accordingly? Of course not. Same idea applies now.

20. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Expectationwise, only 2 other teams won 20 games in a row. Both won titles. I agree, I dont think we should expect this team to win a title. I think with the way we play defense. The way our offense gets tons of open looks for players that can hit them. Our hustle, rebounding, and other intangibles will allow the team to compete(meaning we can win) with anyone in the 1st or 2nd round save the Lakers. Much like in 94, if we skip the Lakers(then Sonics), we have a good chance though at the finals.