1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How long have you been a Rockets fan and where are you from?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Mar 4, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Born in Houston, live in Tucson, fan since 1985 (the year I was born).

2. busta_cap

busta_cap Contributing Member

I've been a Rockets fan since their 1986 Finals run vs the Celtics. I moved here in 1981, but didn't really dig sports until watching some of the 86 playoff games with a friend. Been a diehard ever since, though.

I'm originally from Ft. Smith, Arkansas.

3. busta_cap

busta_cap Contributing Member

Used to live in Tucson, on Buena Tierra road near the banks of the La Canada "River" (which is dry 90% of the time).

4. DribbleHooper

DribbleHooper Contributing Member

Born in NOLA, moved around a lot, lived in Houston most of my life. Became a fan during the first championship season. Became a semi-hardcore fan after 13 in 35.

5. symbiote007

symbiote007 Member

ever since my man steve francis (went to my college) was signed to the rockets, that's how long i've been a fan and when him and yao were together drew me in since there weren't any big asian nba players at the time.

6. double uk

double uk Member

from shanghai, since yao came to NBA(2002)
    before that, i know SF but actually not a rockets fan.
    Now i'm rockets fanatic!!!!!sooo crazy about their performance. :D

7. yulenice

yulenice Member

I am from BeiJing in CHINA.'
    Greetings!

8. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

I'm from NY.

Became a Rockets fan since the day they drafted Yao.

Fell in love with the Rockets when they brought in my hometown Knicks... Van Gundy, Ewing, Ward, Jackson, and Weatherspoon.

Hoped the former Knicks and new Rockets would carry on their success to become champions...

Realized this team would be GREAT when they brought in T-MAC and kept improving the roster with talented, dedicated, experienced, hungry, role model players and staff who want to win and hustle.

I Think and Believe that the Rockets are "Very Special" and will ultimately be champions with their passion, hard work, goals, team spirit, chemistry, character, strong fundametals and D-Fence, additions to the team, and flashes of brilliance in the playoffs and regular seasons-when yao or mcgrady was out, and last but not least what they have accomplished so far...

***Have rarely missed a rockets game thanks to NBA league pass and archived games...

9. mnkyman

mnkyman Member

Houston fan for about 16 years basically since i moved to houston

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

What will it take for you to become a hardcore fan? :)

11. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

Same here man. I see some of the same grittiness of my knicks (not the isiah knicks) as the rox. Remember the 8th seed in 1999--that was heart. But this team is much better than the knicks that year.

12. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

Yes, I remember the 99' finals run and all of the other tough, hard fought playoff years... I would also agree that the Rockets do have a better team than the 99' Knicks. Let the Spirit live on! :)

13. automorph

automorph Member

WOOOOOHOOOOOOOO 6 years of lurking and I can finally post.......From Toronto Canada and I have only missed 15 games in 6 seasons, thank god for satellite

14. automorph

automorph Member

Highlights :
    Cuttino CRAP Mobley yelling at Yao
    Yao Mo Tay tacky handshake
    Yao vs Shaq I
    Yao's first 3 pointer
    Loser amare stealing ROY and laughing at Yao for falling
    Jim Jackson missing the 3
    Yao getting better and better
    Yao no look to Moochie
    good ole Stevie pushing amare
    Yao schooling abdur rahim
    tmac bradley dunk
    tmac 13 in 35
    etc etc

15. OrangeCountyCA

Welcome automorph. How's the weather up there in Toronto?

:)

16. HtownTexas

HtownTexas Member

Mexican born but Houston, Texas raised all my 22 years of life :D

Been a Houston Rockets fan all of my life, recently though I have grown to embrace the other NBA Texas teams, the Spurs and Mavericks, simply because I just want an NBA Championship to stay in Texas instead of going somewhere else lame...

(don't get me started on seeing a LA Lakers celebration b/c those sicken me to my stomach, especially if their road to a championship went through the State of Texas :mad: )

Memorable Rockets memories for me:

Hakeem Olajuwon winning the 1994 NBA MVP!

Mario Elie's kiss of death 3 pointer on Phoenix! :cool:

(P.S. Phoenix Suns, you will never beat an NBA Texas team in your lifetime, the State of Texas owns you Phoenix Suns and we'll make sure they do so once again in 2008, If the playoffs have to, they'll send this edition of the Houston Rockets, or the San Antonio Spurs, or even the lowly Dallas Mavericks to prove my point once again!)

Hakeem Olajuwon redemption series vs. 1995 MVP (San Antonio Spurs) David Robinson (I still remember a newspaper photo of Rockets fans making the trip to San Antonio for those games, here's to another I-10 series in the future)

Rudy T's speeches after winning the NBA Championships in 1994 and 1995! (those speeches forever made Houstonians proud of their city of Houston, Texas)

Eddie Johnson's unbelievable 3 pointer to win a game in the 1997 WCF vs. the Utah Jazz in Houston (I believe this will be the best ever moment of wearing those shark Rockets jerseys)

This is my 2nd ever post on this message board (posted one earlier about similarities between the 2007-2008 Rockets to the Luv Ya Blue Oilers teams), but I've been visiting this board for a while and I'm glad to be a part of it :D

17. zmc_tim119

zmc_tim119 Member

since Yao's coming to Houston

18. automorph

automorph Member

Cold and still recovering from 2ft of snow being dumped on us............ :D

19. inwowma

inwowma Member

from Shanghai, China and now in Bristol, England
    started watching NBA because of the Bulls in 1993
    and became a fan of Rockets in 2002(Yao, of course)
    now ***-->ROF in process

20. engr chris

engr chris Member

Im a Filipino residing here in Yokohama, Japan. I've been a fan since our first championship. Because before in the Philippines, you can watch only NBA games during the finals so the first NBA game I watched was Game 1 of the 94 NBA Finals. The next year we got cable tv and I've been able to watch more Rockets games. Been a fan eversince. Through good and bad times