1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Bill Simmons: Jason (Jay) Williams Would be Better than Yao if He Did Not Crash

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lil Pun, Mar 10, 2008.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

yeah he was a total beast during his one season with Chicago.

9.5 ppg, 4.7 apg, 1.1 spg, 2.3 topg .399 FG% .322 3P% .640 FT% on 26 mpg. - 12.2 PER

BEASTLY!

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know - guards are a dime a dozen - but big men are so rare. You still have to take Yao over Jay Williams even if he didn't crash that bike.

3. Cjballa14

Cjballa14 Member

Amare > yao also

4. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

even espn is tired of this guy, that's why they decided to hire rick reilly instead of just having the wanna be rick reilly in bill.

5. tsunami

tsunami Member

oh well, you need some serious slap on your face to wake up...

6. texastiger22

texastiger22 Member

This wasreally interesting from that same article:

7. What if Jason Kidd had accepted San Antonio's $87 million offer during the summer of 2003?

See? Even when you're as savvy as Gregg Popovich and R.C. Buford, you still need a little luck. The Spurs won titles in 2005 and 2007 without Kidd, and you could argue they were one miracle play (Fisher's 3-pointer in 2004) and one stupid play (Manu Ginobili's foul on Dirk Nowitzki) from winning four straight. Assuming they landed Kidd, the Spurs definitely would have dealt Tony Parker that summer or down the road (not a good thing), and they wouldn't have had enough money to pay Ginobili without going over the luxury tax, which they refuse to do (and that's definitely not a good thing). Kidd's personal life also could have screwed up their chemistry to some degree -- remember, his ex-wife was a legendary prima donna in Jersey -- and going from Parker (a congenial guy, by all accounts) to Kidd (moody, by all accounts) could have jeopardized the fragile balance of talent and personality that made San Antonio so great in the first place.

Do the Spurs win more than two titles with Kidd? Do they win less than two? Impossible to say. But here's what we know: I'd rather be spending $30 million on Tony Parker from 2007-2009 than $60 million on a declining Jason Kidd. I'm gonna say Popovich and Buford dodged a bazooka bullet on this one. Since we're here ...

I never herd about that.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He was coming on near the end of the season. No one really knows what would have happened

Here is Deron williams Rookie line:
    05-06 UTA 80 47 28.8 0.421 0.416 0.704 0.4 2.0 2.4rbs 4.5ast 0.8 0.2 1.81 2.90 10.8pts

Nash didn't have a good rookie year either. Point guard is a position you have to grow into. Would have Jay Will better than yao we will never know.

8. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

And more so, than Yao probably will be. I could see him riding the pine, after two years, especially after the Bulls ended up with Hinrich, Duhon, and Gordon.

He wasn't exactly a great player in college, and like alot of Duke standouts he never amounted to much in NBA....it seems like alot of those players once they hit the NBA ..... their automatically hit with some kind of kryptonite....

Only worthy of mention is Grant Hill (pretty good all-star career, except injuries), Elton Brand (Top 5 PF, behind TD KG DN CB....he's better than Gasol and Randolph), Laettner (he actually had few good seasons in Minnesota and Atlanta and probably was one or two steps away from an All-Star game), Shane Battier (great college player, but decent NBA one), and Corey Magette.

9. levintblack

levintblack Contributing Member

Jay had a shot to be very good. He showed flashes of brilliance. His problem in his rookie year as well at Duke was he wanted to shoot too much for a PG. PG's can shoot a lot if they are good but they shouldn't chuck. He always did. Just look at his below 40 FG%. Quit honestly thinking about it now I would say he would have been a little bit better Rafer Alston. A extremely talented guy but always wants to be center of attention. Rafer has changed recently from this mentality bit for a good majority of his career that's what he was.

10. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Sports are too unpredictable.

Who woulda thought Chucky Brown woulda been a starting forward for a championship team.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Deron Williams is bigger and stronger - and Nash barely played, but he was always a deadeye outside shooter, the guy hit almost 42% from three pont line his rookie season and has only one season below 40% 3 pts in his career.

But I digress - the point was that Williams was far from "a beast" and rather was kind of average at best as a rookie. I suppose you can't say which way he would have gone, but to say that he was a beast is obvously wrong- the guy didn't even make the first team all rookie and was not even in the conversation for rookie of the year.

12. daRox

daRox Member

If you're rich, girls will find you smart, attractive, AND funny!

13. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

I feel sorry for Jay Williams..The truth is, he did have that terrible accident.

For Bill Simmons, his initial says it all, BS.

14. eatsleepdrink

eatsleepdrink Member

IF Yao did not have multiple injuries to his feet/legs/shoulder etc he would have been better than Wilt Chamberlain :D

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

Which would explain the Rockets PG situation from the last several years.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

Williams might have come around in his second year like Deron Williams, he might not have like Reece Gaines.

It's a shame the best thing he did for the Bulls was forcing them to draft another PG in Kirk Hinrich.

17. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

He made the All-Star game in 97.

18. levintblack

levintblack Contributing Member

I feel no sympathy for professional athletes who put everything t risk just so they can drive a motocycle.

19. lalala902102001

I like Bill Simmons' stuff most of the time, but he's way off base here.

I'm not going to argue about Yao Ming since he's injured right now. Let's just talk about Jay Williams. I happened to live in Chicago the year Jay played there. He was a MAJOR dissapointment. The Bulls thought that Jay would come in and be the young leader and revive the team. Intead, he turned out to be a high-maintenace malcontent who took everything for granted. And he didn't show much PG skills on the court either. Jay was so bad that the Bulls played better when Jamal Crawford started at PG over him. I don't believe that Jay Willimas had the characters to be a great PG even if he never crashed that motorcycle (BTW that also showed his immaturity). Jay Williams, at best, would have been a Barbosa type player instead of a Chris Paul or a Deron Williams.