1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carl Landry on 610

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LFE171, Feb 28, 2008.

1. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

what's wrong with that? He's earning his money. Hell if I'm Morey, I probably tell Landry to do that anyway. Don't get in a bidding war, just let it be know that you will match any offer. In this past off-season alone, that philosophy kept anyone from making an offer to Anderson Varejo.

2. YallMean

YallMean Member

I didnt hear the interview, if that's the vibe, I dont blame him. We should've signed him with guranteed contract. That's our fault. He is going to get paid next year for sure, especially we will have to play him more and rely on his success to be successful. Teams like Bobcats, Indiana would give him big contract. I say we match whatever it costs to keep the kid. The fire in him is something you cant teach. That's what I like about him.

3. GoRedRowdies

GoRedRowdies Member

Once he gets paid do you think he will still have the same fire?

4. YallMean

YallMean Member

Well, I thought about it when I watched the kid play. He is geniune from what I can tell. The Kid is a hard nosed player that wont back down. Looks to me, he has pride. Remember he cired when he was fouled out in one game, I dont think he has to fake that to earn big contract.

On the other end, I am not saying he will get the type of contract Boozer got. Probably sligtly higher than MLE for 3,4 years is what he will offered the most. He will need to do better to earn bigger prize for the next signing.

5. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

It doesnt matter Landry WILL be a Rocket next year. We have the money plus no one can offer him a bigger contract than the MLE because of the Gilbert Arenas rule. I dont think he's gonna get more that 2-3 mil per year anyways. Ya'll keep underrating the fact that he is a second year player and a second rounder. Morey's $$$$ball system is gonna work because we are gonna keep drafting well, dont empty the bank on free agents and sign sensible contracts.

6. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

If you got me on the cheap and I knew someone else would offer me more. I've got to take what I can get when I can get it. Money makes NBA players loyal - don't get it twisted.

7. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

if it's true (sligtly higher than MLE for 3,4 years ), you think rockets have enough money to sign him?

8. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I hope he doesn't run off and join the Pacers...

9. GoRedRowdies

GoRedRowdies Member

no way he is gettin higher than the mle. lol. no effin way

10. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

No team can sign him for higher than the mle!!! Gilbert Arenas Rule!!!! Plus Anderson Varejao didnt even get that and his face was plastered all over the finals.

11. poprocks

poprocks Member

Landry continues to do this over the next 25 games and gets to 20-10, then he's going to get the full MLE. Book it!

12. Rowdie Brandon

I agree. And to be honest I don't necessarily blame him for doing so. He's no big time superstar, so who knows when that "fat" contract is going to roll around again.......I just hope after he lands a decent contract that he continues to develop into the fine player that I think he can be..........

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

That was a great interview. Landry's enthusiasm and outlook are exactly what you want in an NBA player. He isn't going to let Yao's injury get him down. They are going to do everything they can to win each game and don't count them out. He's looking to improve every aspect of his game and will do whatever the staff tells him to do regarding workouts and skill development. Says he is practicing a 3 point shot and it will become a part of his game.

The Rockets really missed it by not signing Landry longer term. That interview has me completely sold on the guy. If he keeps that attitude about basketball, I won't put a limit on how good he can be.

14. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

I follow last year's March Madness. I remember he was commended about his intensity. I think that is probably the way he is as a player.

15. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

Rockets did the right thing at the time. Carl Laundry was an unknown quantity at the time and that 4.5 inch increase in vertical really helps!
    They had to sign a buch of guys (Francis, Hayes, Scola, etc.).

Besides, the Rockets can match up to MLE so they will not lose him. And if he plays to the level to earn the MLE, then the team is very fortunate to have picked up a gem in the 2nd round. Imagine Carl with range and with his motor....Scola better watch out or he will lose his starting job!!!!

Now, you are going to say, we need the MLE to get a free agent. Well, Carl will be that Free Agent if he earns it. That's very simple. And I for one really wants him to earn it! That means he and the Rockets play well and do some damage (hopefully) in the post season.

Sure, they are not likely to win 16 games in the post season without Yao but if they did and Carl was a big part of it, wouldn't you gladly pay MLE money for his services next year? And lock him down long term.

16. Raven

Raven Member

I'm very queasy about giving this guy a full MLE.

17. YallMean

YallMean Member

MLE would be too much for a 2nd year Rookie. But we dont have choice, if he is offered that much by other teams.

18. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Big difference between confidence and counting your chickens before they hatch. It's even worse when it comes from a guy who has made a career of talking about things that never come to pass as if they already happened.

19. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

No way the Rockets let Landry. They know what they have and will pay the right $$ to keep him for good.

20. YallMean

YallMean Member

Unrelated. We could've signed him on a longer term with same amount of money. But yes, he was unproven, and we were all shocked how good how he is after the season started.