1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which is greater Clutch City I or II (for Tinman)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketsjudoka, Feb 28, 2008.

?

Which was greater? Clutch City I or II

1. Clutch City I, it was Houston's first Championship.

30 vote(s)
    21.9%
  2. Clutch City II, what the Rockets overcame to repeat was amazing.

64 vote(s)
    46.7%
  3. Both were equally great.

39 vote(s)
    28.5%
  4. I don't remember either and /or don't care.

4 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sad,
    OT was the first person in the paint that Dream trusted since Ralph.
    however, not sad about the outcome.

Rudy T wrote how hard it was since OT was also one of his best friends.
    Now they are golfing buddies post NBA.

lets not forget OT helping Detroit make the playoffs with Grant Hill.

I remember OT!

2. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

I'd just like to take this time to thank Michael Jordan for these 2 championships.

3. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Mixed. I knew Clyde was better for the team, but I really liked Thorpe.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clutch City 1 was the better defensive team.
    Clutch City 2 was the better offensive team.

Clutch City 1 - Robert Horry -dunking machine
    Clutch City 2 - The true beginning of Big Shot Rob

Clutch City 1 - Heroic performance by Max in game 3 against the Suns
    Clutch City 2 - Heroic performance by Clyde in game 5 against the Jazz

Clutch City 1 - biggest buzzer beater = Sam Cassell vs the Knicks
    Clutch City 2 - biggest buzzer beater = Mario Elie vs the Suns

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

CC2 was better to me. Because it seemed so improbable to everyone else in the world.

I was at all the home games in 94 playoffs

I was at the very final game 4 in 95.

Even with that, I still enjoyed 95 more. Down 3-1...and coming back with the Kiss of Death shot. Wow.

But loved them both!

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This has been debunked.

7. gatechdude

gatechdude Contributing Member

If the Rockets manage to win the championship this year...CCIII will be the greatest of them all by far

8. Rowdie Brandon

I specifically remember being in the kitchen with my dad after we won our 2nd title, and although we both followed the rockets religously we weren't as happy as the 1st time around. My day even made note of it, when he said that I didn't seem as excited like I was the previous year before............I could've told him the same thing, seeing how he ran up and down the street in our neighborhood as soon as the buzzer sounded in Game 7 in '94......................................I loved both title runs and the 2nd run was probably more "thrilling", but nothing replaces the memories of the "1st time".......................

9. Rowdie Brandon

those hell freezing over commercials were funny..............................as hell...........

10. Rowdie Brandon

same here.........at first I hated seeing O.T. go, because he was a Rocket at heart, but I knew getting Clyde and Murray would help us more.............

11. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

CCII was amazing, and has my vote...like a previous poster said, it validated our first one as well was a historic story on it's own.

12. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

I echo this sentiment.

CC1 may have the greatest edge. Dream beating Ewing, the look on Sir Charles and Company's faces before... The First ever "major" championship for the city of Houston...

But...

CC2 was just an amazing feat of will and determination that reinforced Dream's legacy and set the talking heads on their ear.

Both were equally inspiring.

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If they do it without Yao I might agree but it will be hard to match the drama of both Clutch Cities or the almost improbablity of Clutch City II. As others posters have pointed out pretty much everyone was writing off the Rockets. Even up to the third game of the finals the talking heads kept on talking about how the Rockets were going to run out of gas and the Magic would overpower them. With the exception of the Jazz every other team was the media favoriet. During the championship games most of the commercials featured Shaq and Penny, infact I remember clearly on NBC the first commercial they showed after game 4 was won was a Penny Hardaway commercial.

The country and the media woke up to the Rockets when Bob Costas publically apologized prior to the start of game 4 of the Finals for not giving the Rockets more respect for the 94 championship and that year's playoff run.

In sports the only things that I can think of that are comparable to the Rockets 1995 playoff run was this year's NY Giant's run to capture the Superbowl (and even there I would say it is behind the Rox since those were single games and not series where differences in talent get magnified), the 1985 Villanova NCAA run and the 1980 US Olympic Hockey Team. For a team that didn't even win 50 games in the regular season to come out and beat two teams that won over 60 games and two that won in the high 50's including dominating the team with the best record and MVP and sweeping the team with the third best record is practically unprecedented then or since.

14. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

I have a definite feeling Landry will be the old Horry we had back in the day, just without the 3 point shooting. I can't wait until the playoffs!

15. LAYGO

LAYGO Contributing Member

Not to mention how NY'rs pronounce "Houston" as "HOW-stun".

16. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I voted CCII but it was CCI that made me fall in love with Houston. My wife and I were married in July 94. So it's kind of special to me. The Phoenix escape was awesome and I love killing off Barkley the hater!!!

17. LAYGO

LAYGO Contributing Member

Nothing beats me running like 10 blocks to the parade route & having the fire trucks pass us on the way to the start & me yelling out to the guys & them waving at me & my buddy.

Also, me calling in "sick" on parade day . . . . . both years!

Watching game 7 at some random guys house with a guy I nearly got into a fist fight with a few weeks prior & after the buzzer going off & we're champions, we're hugging. Driving home & my horn stopped working from honking so much & resigned to the fact that the horn gave its life up in the line of duty . . . only for it to start working again 2 days later.

Immediately after sweeping, gathering my brother, and friends & taking the same truck to Academy for the hat/shirt. While browsing around, stumbling upon an official Starter Sweat Suit, replete with tear away pants that I purchased & still own. Then driving down to Westheimer only to be buried in traffic for so long that by time we got thru it all & took our drive down Westheimer once, heading home. The horn survived that night.

SOOOO MANY DEAR MEMORIES!

"Heart of a Champion" *STILL* gets my pulse racing & lights a fire.

18. poprocks

poprocks Member

If there is a Clutch City III this year it will clearly be the biggest ever due to all the adversity we would have overcome.

19. Rowdie Brandon

I missed the parade the first time around, but I caught the 2nd one...........I'll find some old pics and try to post them this weekend...............

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

"MAXWELL FOR 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"