1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Live action Akira Movie

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LFE171, Feb 22, 2008.

1. LFE171

LFE171 Member

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/02/21/live-action-akira-movie-coming-dicaprio-and-otomo-signed-on-to/

[​IMG]

Live action Akira movie coming, DiCaprio and Otomo signed on to produce

Amidst all the great animes we've been exposed to, Akira stands out. Set in post-apocalyptic Tokyo, the neo-classic featured everything we've come to expect from Japan's animation wizards: stunning artwork, imaginative plot lines and absolutely killer conveyances – particularly the bikes which easily put Tron to shame.

Word is that Warner Bros. has signed a deal to create two live-action movies based on the six-volume graphic novel, with Leonardo DiCaprio helping to produce the films and Akira's creator, Katsuhior Otomo, being on hand as the executive producer. The first of the two films is expected to come to the big screen in the summer of 2009 and we have little doubt that it has the potential of blowing Speed Racer out of the water.

Interesting. Speed racer looks r****ded, but I can them pulling some crazy for Akira. Be fun to see the scene in the beginning when they fight while flying at 100mph.

2. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Member

i hate anime. i just cant stand it.

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

It's being directed by a guy who has only made two short films. They seem pretty ordinary.

This one got an Academy award nomination:
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FoyxuCVJCwI&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FoyxuCVJCwI&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_MfNyfwwfV4&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_MfNyfwwfV4&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

4. TheParrotIsNoMo

Leo as Akira???? Don't get me wrong Leo is one of the best actors working today but can't they find an Asian guy to play Akira or something, maybe John Cho...

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I remember being a huge X-Men fan watching Akira for the first time at young age. Tetsuo? Or was it Kenada? Anyways the bad guy started doing EVERYTHING and I was like... I bet he can't move metal like Magneto. Sure enough... He started moving metal... and everything else.

6. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Oh great. Good luck trying to simplify the movie for the American masses. This anime was confusing enough the first 500 times I've had to watch it.

Good thing Akira's creator is gonna be there to make sure they don't butcher this project. Btw, what ever happened to the Dragon Ball movie that was supposed to be made???

7. demon77

demon77 Member

look like another good anime gonna get butchered.

Live action are gay, just like english dubbing/censorship.

Watching death note live action & initial D live action was just god damn painful.....

8. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

The best thing I've heard about this adaptation is that they've been describing it as Blade Runner meets City of God. It looks like they'll americanize the story and move it from "Neo Tokyo" to "New Manhatten."

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

One of my all time favorite movies -- wow ! :eek:

I hope they don't blow it...

10. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I'm almost certain that they are gonna blow it. I hope you don't get your hopes all too high, especially with this being one of your favs.

If they're gonna live action, they might as well do those dirty manga movies and get Jessica Alba or that Heroes girl to do it. At least that won't disappoint.