1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade: Bonzi, James for Bobby Jackson? (UPDATE: Done Deal)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by farrisdabis, Feb 20, 2008.

1. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

Will Houston ever become a knowledgeable basketball town?

Everyone that's crying about terrible trade this....bad trade that. You're all are gona look silly after 8 or so games. I'm kinda noticing that these were the same people that cried about drafting that midget Aaron Brooks and that undersized forward Landry...mmmmm go figure.

2. hooroo

hooroo Member

It hasn't been officially approved yet.

3. Rockets#1fan

Rockets#1fan Member

are they still trying to trade kirk snyder?

4. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

Again Carl Landry! It may seem like he was getting alot of minutes before because he made so many plays, but really he is getting about 12 a night before the deal..

I say get this guy on the floor more...25 mins a night and he will be a big factor...Bonzi is an SF but he really plays like a undersized PF....Landry will be a beast taking Bonzis minutes.

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

To answer your first question, no. Not as long as fans only come around when we are winning and could care less if we are losing. Maybe all this talk is good? Everyone doubted Brooks and Landry and they turned out good. This might have the same effect.

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

It isn't that the trade is that terrible ... it's that expectations were higher. Instead of being bold, the Rockets took the fiscal responsibility route and played it safe. I think that's the big knock on the trade.

I like that we got experienced help at the one and that we could be in a good trading position next year, but we'll have to see if the Rockets are unfazed by the loss of Bonzi.

7. zcity

zcity Contributing Member

I can't believe the love I am seeing for Bonzi !!

Jackson is SOLID. He consistently make smart decisions on the court - I love the guy.

He is exactly what we need finishing games for us in the 4th quarter of playoff games !!

8. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

Im going to go out on a limb and say Landry has the quickness, length, and energy to be a better perimeter defender than Bonzi was.

9. bronx43

bronx43 Member

You beat me to it. Landry and Scola are sharing time at the 4 and 5. Bonzi is strictly a 3 or 2. We simply give up more size, as we now have 3 midget guards with questionable point guard skills.

10. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Perhaps, but I don't think there is any question that BJax is a shoot-first, attacking point guard whereas Head is strictly an undersized, 3-pt shooting 2.

11. bronx43

bronx43 Member

So... you're okay with a lineup that looks like Yao/Scola/Landry/Tmac/Rafer. The footspeed on that squad might give Charles Barkley a run for his money.

12. awo86

awo86 Rookie

that kinda opinuion is why JVG owns you.

13. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Agreed. Everyone is acting like we are getting a huge scrub. Bobby Jackson is no scrub. He may be getting older but he can still play. The reason for his lower scoring total this year is because he only takes a little over 6 shots a game. Obviously NO thinks they are more effective with him running the show and occasionally looking for his shot. I think we will want him to take more shots if he is open as well as getting him in the lane and out on fast breaks. He can play the 2 guard well especially against other midget guard tandems in this league(Barbosa and Nash). I am still not sure if this deal will turn out in our favor because Wells has been fairly valuable this season especially since he can provide depth behind Tmac and Battier. I think it remains to be seen if Jackson can be more valuable than Wells which is very possible. How about we let this play out until we actually watch Bobby Jackson PLAY.

14. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

I trust that there's something here that I'm not seeing, and having someone who has run Adleman's offense is certainly a big plus, but I have to admit on the surface this looks like we gave up the better player (and our sixth man) for yet another point guard. We're also in the midst of a 10 game winning streak its just hard to understand why you would make, what is appearantly a money move, now. Where does he fit in?

Alston/Jackson?/Brooks
    T-mac/Jackson?/Head
    Battier/Snyder?/Novak
    Scola/Landry/Hayes
    Yao/Hayes/Deke

Its certainly not a balance of power shift or anything, but Bonzi was playing well and a big part of the reason we were killing teams on the boards.

15. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

I am not too upset about this trade.

Looking from the financial point, they saved money on this. Realistically, we know that we don't have a shot at championship this year. This trade will help us next season to make good trades to get closer to championship.

I'm glad James is finally gone but Wells was a good part of the Rockets this season so I will miss him!

Let's hope this won't mess up their winning streak...go Rockets!

16. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

http://www.nba.com/hornets/news/Jackson_QA_27Jul2006.html

Being a point guard, my thing now is that I have to learn what everyone else on the team does and where their strong points are on the court.

Also, do you think the quality of shots you’re going to get in this offense will be different than what you saw with the Grizzlies, who used a stationary offense with more post-ups?
    Jackson: Oh yeah. That’s exactly what (the offense) was (in Memphis). That’s not my game; it’s actually my weakness. I’m not a guard who can just throw the ball in the paint, then go spot up in the corner – even though I shot my best 3-point percentage last season… but I think that (career-high percentage) just came from working hard. The style of play here is going to help me, because I like to get out and attack the basket, and it will allow me get back to the type of basketball I was playing in Sacramento.

Eichenhofer: You once dove into the stands in Sacramento during a playoff game and got an unexpected kiss on the head from a female fan. Kings fans were also known to bring “I Love Bobby Jackson” signs to games. What was the experience like for you with the fans in Sacramento?
    Jackson: That was a wonderful experience.​

17. bronx43

bronx43 Member

What? It's purely semantics that you're calling BJax a shoot-first point guard and Head a 3-point shooting SG. Can Bjax run the offense well? I doubt it. Can Head? No. Can Brooks? From the looks of it, not this year. Only Rafer can. We don't need 35 year old Bjax's shooting or "attacking" the rim. If anything, we need a backup 1 that can actually run the point.

18. YallMean

YallMean Member

Wasnt BJack traded to Griz for Bonzi 3 years back?

19. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

Maybe it is not out of the realm of possiblility for Landry to play the backup 3. At 6'9" and quick he might be able to handle the backup spot on most nights. Guess we throw it to him and see what happens. He can definitely back it into the post on 3's as well as Bonzi, can rebound as well as Bonzi, and shoot better than Bonzi.

20. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

My day has really started out pretty bad because of this trade. I'm shocked, but I'm going to try and give Morey and BJAx the benefit of the doubt. When's the next call-in down in Houston so one of you guys can lay into Morey or someone part of the Rockets? I'd just like some basic answers, as a fan, besides that the trade worked money wise.