1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

protein shakes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ths balla, Feb 19, 2008.

1. ths balla

ths balla Member

so i just ran out of my protein shake (pro complex weight gainer) and i need to purchase some more and i was wondering if any of you all recommend a good type of protein shake. I like the results i got from the pro complex the only problem is it would give me gas from time to time lol. I don't eat very much during the game so the weight gainer was good bc it contained a lot of good calories. So if you all know of a better type of protein shake that i should take or stick with the same one feel free to respond, thanks a lot for your advise.

2. Asian Sensation

I have muscle milk on the way. Haven't tried it before but I heard it was good.

3. brooksstephens

Protein shakes are a good option............... if you've got 50 dollar bills growing out of your ass.

4. ClockworkOrange

There are some good ones out there. One thing you might want to do while picking a brand is to look at the amount of scoops per serving. If it's 20 grams of protein and 200 calories for one scoop but the comp is 50 grams of protein with 400 calories for 4 scoops...well you know which one you could get more from. Watch out for the numbers they throw your away. Sometimes the amount of scoops will have you finish a container in about a week.

5. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Optimum Nutrition's 100% Whey is generally recognized as the best protein powder there is as far as price/results go. I've used it for a while now and would highly recommend it. GREAT taste and good results.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

6. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Seconded. I like the banana cream flavor.

7. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I used Dymatize Pina Colada flavoured protein powder for about a year, before I got sick of it. Now I'm on Syntrax Lemonade flavor whey and its pretty good. I mix the Lemonade protein with water and it tastes like regular lemonade.

And both powders have no sugar in it either.

allstarhealth.com is the cheapest site when you factor in shipping I have found.

8. MystikArkitect

I've been on Cytogainer for a little over 3 months now with pretty decent results. How does Optimum Nutrition compare to Cytogainer to anyone who's tried both? 45 bucks every 2.5 weeks kinda kills, but it's necessary for me. Although I like it, I'm still looking for a cheaper or more effective alternative.

9. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

Nitro-tech Hardcore is the protein made by Muscle Tech and it has 20grams per serving with only 1.5grams of fat calories per serving.

10. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you want a good protein shake/weight gainer combo, try EAS Mass Factor. I've had good results with it and it tastes good as well.

11. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Labrada makes some excellent products.

12. ths balla

ths balla Member

yea i was considering buying it but just wondering if its good to take for someone who doesnt eat a lot(should i just try eating more lol) and does it have a lot of good calories? thanks a lot for all the info so far

13. crimemastergogo

If you looking to lose weight and get cut/toned up.. BSN Lean Dessert Protein for sure. It tastes amazing, better than any other product.

To bulk up, try True Mass by BSN.

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I've just gotten myself into some of this stuff. I'm about to buy some stuff off that bodybuilding site, is it a good site to buy stuff from?

BTW...any one ever tried anything like this?
    [​IMG]

Bought some myoplex bars today. Tried one, it was suprisingly good!

BTW, I'm trying to lose weight (was around 20lbs of fat) and gain around 10lbs of muscle. I was almost 20% fat when I first started working out 2 weeks ago. Trainer has been kicking my ass. :cool:

15. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I love BSN's Lean Dessert. I'm a vegetarian, and I do a few of these a week to make sure I get enough protein. They are fantastic.

16. TrailerMonkey

TrailerMonkey Member

Isopure - get the kind that comes pre-mixed, in the large bottles. Looks like a bottle of juice and has 40g of protein per bottle for only 160 calories. It's kinda pricey though - 12 bottles for about 35 bucks. Also, only the green apple and the grape are remotely palatable. They taste best chilled.

17. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

What type of regiment and diet does he have you on?

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Gotta veto that.

They taste disgusting, as does most fruit flavored Isopure, premixed or not.

If you're looking for a weight gainer, go with Cytogainer.

If you're looking for a muscle gainer, go with Isopure (powder)... cookies n cream, strawberry, chocolate, vanilla, all good...

19. xcharged

xcharged Member

I've ordered from them before and also from cheapvitamins.com
    Both have Fast shipping. just compare prices.

protein shakes i've tried. I haven't tried a "Gainer" shake yet...but i'm thinking about the #3 option on the list.

1. muscle milk (350 cals per serving)
    2. Optimum Nutrition's 100% Whey (130 cals per serving)
    3. IDS Smart Gainer (656 cals per serving)

(This guy at the gym suggested IDS Smart Gainerthis yesterday. haven't tried it yet)
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ids/smart.html

20. rockets > *

rockets > * Member

I know a nutrionist that told me nothing is better for gains than cytogainer. Thats what im currently taking right now. Cookies n Cream is delicious too!