1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao's non-playing time at the All-Star game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GranvilleWaders, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

I understand the sentiment, but I prefer more rest for Yao.

2. YallMean

YallMean Member

The west best chance of winning this game was force feed Yao down low, let him operate or kick out of double team. :D

Now seriously, I remember in Shaq's prime people were force feeding Shaq down low in allstar games, and it was not entertaining, but balll was passed to shaq, nobody complained.

3. ekim

ekim Member

I know it was so pointless...

It should be like MLB where the winner gets home field advantage in the world series (playoffs final).

4. GranvilleWaders

Yao is capable of entertaining people with his game...some of you act like all he's good for is backing up posting up and making a move. You'd think Yao was Charles Barkley as a Rocket or something. I think it's more of the fact that Yao isn't part of the norm or down with the brothas and streetball attitude. it happens to me (a white guy) all the time when I play with the brothas. They alienate you and passing is nil.

5. abc2007

abc2007 Member

If Tmac was there, I believe they would play that way!

6. YallMean

YallMean Member

Well, Scola and Yao are fresh to go, that's good.

Kick them azzes next time play the Hornets. Show Byron who's the daddy. Also I predict the Hornets will not make the playoff this year, just watch.

7. Rob English

Rob English Member

Granville, Fran indicated in his blog before the game started that Yao went up to Byron Scott, and requested to only play around 10 minutes. Here's the link:

http://blogs.chron.com/franblinebury/2008/02/enjoy_yao_fast_if_you_blink_yo.html#comments

8. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

shaq had a great chance of dunking on you and giving u a facial. ;)

9. wizard

wizard Member

10. GranvilleWaders

thanks Rob English...you've answered my question.. I'll just vote for someone next year that wants to play and represent his fans. Yao can stay at home and rest.

11. t_mac1

say what? are u talkin' about pick up ball? the only way u won't get the ball is if u suck. i play ball w/ almost every race. usually in the first 3-4 possessions, u get a feel of who sucks and who doesn't. the ones who suck will rarely get the ball thrown at them.

yao got his touches when he was in the game. nobody was isolating him or anything like you are saying.

we have 3 explanations for his lack of playing time in the ASG:
    1) he asked not to play a lot (like some players do)
    2) his game just doesn't translate to these types of games. why do u think he usually struggles v. phoenix or warriors?
    3) he doesn't do anything flashy

that's why duncan didn't get voted in until KG went to the east. duncan is as boring as yao. nobody really wants him at the game.

12. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Well, Big Yao specifically asked not to be played for more than 10 minutes.

He has a BIGGER picture (Houston Rockets chance for making the playoff) in mind, reserving his energy for the Houston Rockets for the next game versus Lebron James & Co. (Cleveland Cavaliers) away on Tuesday rather than to waste his energy in such a meaningless flashing/showboating All Stars Game that he always said he is a mis-fit.

13. inler

inler Contributing Member

it's not like hakeem flourished in all star games either

14. conquistador#11

I guess it's settled then...
    that the houston chronicle is part of the western media! I wouldn't trust fran's article one bit :mad: I am kidding, I am kidding.

I did hear an interview with A.I, before the game, and he was praising yao ming. " Not since hakeem or shaq in his prime, have I seen a player get doubled the way yao does." so yeah, ballaz are respecting yao's game. The refs need to get on the same page. =)

15. YallMean

YallMean Member

So dunking and showing people up is entertaining to you?

Since Yao's asked not to play much, we all can stop here. :;

16. YallMean

YallMean Member

AI's made of fan of Yao's ever since Yao came to the league. Over the years, AI said quite a few nice things about Yao like God given gifts. And big fella always can kick AI's team, Phily or Denver, pretty bad.

17. t_mac1

um yea... it's not to you? :rolleyes:

i guess all those free throws show up on sportscenter then right? :rolleyes:

i guess tmac and vince carter and kobe and lebron all got famous b/c of shooting jumpers :rolleyes:

18. t_mac1

he also said shaq is the best center in the HISTORY of league. then he named wilt and russell next this weekend.

obviously he has no love for hakeem :( :mad:

19. tsunami

tsunami Member

Did we lose to Nuggets after 2 OT last time ?

20. abc2007

abc2007 Member

It makes sense! I think Yao was playing great D. In fact, because Yao's great D, at the beginning of the 2nd half, the scores were close. But, after 5 mins, it seems Yao didn't want to defend that hard anymore and he started to shoot 3s, lol. I guess he wanted to be out of the game.

We are on the edge of playoff. I hope the rockets can keep winning after the AS break.